Firm closing

finlo

4 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You could have checked the first link on the search engine rather than looking for something obscure to make your point. Badly. The first link is the dictionary definition.I see you missed that one completely. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

They do operate some sites through franchises. Not many. But it is possible.

It might be possible, and less hassle for Aldi itself. It could be a no risk way for them to dip a toe in the water just to see how it went, but with a separate IOM company and associated back office costs for the franchisee, I reckon you'd just finish up with something approaching a Sainsbury at Shoprite situation with everything necessarily and heftily marked up, and not nearly competitive with Tesco. For that reason, I'd predict it to be unsustainable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, woolley said:

It might be possible, and less hassle for Aldi itself. It could be a no risk way for them to dip a toe in the water just to see how it went, but with a separate IOM company and associated back office costs for the franchisee, I reckon you'd just finish up with something approaching a Sainsbury at Shoprite situation with everything necessarily and heftily marked up, and not nearly competitive with Tesco. For that reason, I'd predict it to be unsustainable.

They've just published their list of new outlets and we're not on it.

• Sad 1

John is right - people think buying "goodwill" is about vague feelings, but it's really misnamed because what you are buying, most of all, is the customer base and their habits, along with a massive reduction in set-up costs.

That said, whether LIdl or Aldi would really be interested is another matter.  The complications and costs of the sea transport might be off-putting (Aldi don't even operate in Northern Ireland) and both have their hands full with expansion already.  As already remarked, neither have generally expanded in the past by acquisition rather than setting up new stores in new or existing properties (though ALDI has recently taken over chains in the US).  ASDA, who have traditionally expanded with take-overs, might be a better fit, but their current expansion seems mainly in convenience store.

As for Shoprite converting the Whitestone Garage to a supermarket, they already had approval in principle passed in 2020 and this latest one is just a renewal of the one that had lapsed.  So it may be no more than housekeeping.

22 hours ago, John Wright said:

You mean the land and building they already owned, for 50+ years, with ready made car parking and the shell of a building already suited?

The application uses very little of the existing building.

Why are people going on about a supermarket?  It’s a fairly small “local food store” that is proposed for that site

Goodwill, like stock at value is often just an extra price if you want to buy the place? Keeps the sticker price down but you can't have it unless you pay for the extras!

Aldi or Asda would have far more 'goodwill' than Shoprite!!!

Either of the above would have a Tesco like launch with or without Shoprites 'goodwill'???

Anyway, I've heard that Tesco are interested in the Whitestone  site! 😉

10 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I had to look that one up. Took me two seconds.

But why should you have to?

It’s almost disrespectful to your audience of readers,  to post stuff that they have to decipher.

Why not just post what you mean? Rather than setting up some sort of linguistic treasure hunt. It’s  not difficult.

I have to agree with Voice here, rather like Rhyming Slang followed immediately by the interpretation!

Apples and Pears, stairs!

Why not just say 'stairs'???

Sentence structure and grammar not taught in schools now?

Rather than ICBBTCAPS, why not just admit your grammar is crap???

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I have to agree with Voice here, rather like Rhyming Slang followed immediately by the interpretation!

Why not find something more serious to worry about...

56 minutes ago, Kopek said:

They would not say apples and pears, stairs. They would just say apples and pears,or even just apples. 

They would only say stairs if an explanation was necessary because you didn't know the sland. 

The best is "have you got your tit?

Any guesses? No cheating. 

44 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Why not find something more serious to worry about...

It’s a discussion forum. It doesn’t always have to be serious.

Who is worried? Comments , observation, banter etc is what it’s for.

Perhaps you’d be better off finding somewhere else  as a platform to suit your intellectual contributions 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1