Firm closing

finlo

56 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Morgan pies closing end of this month. 

Gone.  I'm pretty sure last week was their last.  

I managed to get a last Pork and Black Pudding Pie last week.  Tried again at the weekend and nothing. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Gone.  I'm pretty sure last week was their last.  

I managed to get a last Pork and Black Pudding Pie last week.  Tried again at the weekend and nothing. 

They’ve stopped on line ordering. Their produce will be available for retail sale until the finally close on 23/10

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They’ve stopped on line ordering. Their produce will be available for retail sale until the finally close on 23/10

Excellent, still a chance to get another couple then. 

On 10/1/2023 at 9:26 AM, Roger Mexico said:

You're actually confusing two different things.  Secret languages, argots etc (Cockney rhyming slang, Shelta and so on) are meant to disguise what they are talking about from outsiders and mark their users as insiders. So they are meant to be hard to understand and obscure.  Of course as 'secrets' usually leak out, they may  become more widely known or even studied and just end up colourful linguistic decoration (as with rhyming slang).  Alternatively they may continually change to maintain privacy (as with Shelta or teenage slang).

But the sort of abbreviations that TVOR was complaining about are different.  They're simply meant to save time and space by replacing common phrases with letters and are assumed to widely-known.  So complaining about their use is like complaining about someone using a word you don't know.  The response is going to that you should look them up in a dictionary - as indeed happened.  You can't spend your life going around demanding that everyone else in the universe dumbs down to your own level of ignorance.  Not least because they don't know what the contents of your head are.

Of course in particular situations it may still turn out that a word or abbreviation is still obscure or ambiguous and people are entitled to ask for detailed clarification.  But "How dare you use a word I don't know" when on the internet isn't a good look, especially when it is usually so easy to discover what it does mean.

That's utter bollocks though. The onus is on the writer to be intelligible not the reader to decipher. 

Roxanne used an abbreviation of an obscure gaming term from decades ago, probably last used on here by Mission or ans. It doesn't even make grammatical sense when you spell it out, so you couldn't infer the meaning. 

And we're supposed to look it up and work out which archaic anacronym she means, because she's too lazy to type three words or pick a meaningful phrase. TTFN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Excellent, still a chance to get another couple then. 

I'm sure you were a regular customer so the tenor of my post may not apply to you, but it certainly does to some of the many Facebook warriors who are proclaiming how wonderful the pies were and how they will miss them. Were those people regular customers? I would say not in many cases. Buying a couple of pies a month won't keep a business going.

To illustrate:

When The Bowling Green pub had its last night the pub was packed and a jolly old time was had by all, mourning the loss of their very own local and the 'heartbeat of the community'.

Many proclaiming to be regulars hadn't been see in the pub for 10 years.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I'm sure you were a regular customer so the tenor of my post may not apply to you, but it certainly does to some of the many Facebook warriors who are proclaiming how wonderful the pies were and how they will miss them. Were those people regular customers? I would say not in many cases. Buying a couple of pies a month won't keep a business going.

They were/are great pies though.  During the winter I'd realistically buy one a week.  What more can a man do?  I can't eat more than one pie a week without becoming a fat bastard

1 minute ago, Declan said:

But wasn't the issue with Morgan's that the owner wanted to stop making pies and no one bought the business? 

That was the word on the street (or someone mentioned on here).  Lots of family trauma recently and they couldn't continue with the 4am starts. 

It's difficult to sell even a successful business.  I tried many years ago.  Had an 'alternative' business in my spare time that was a nice earner.  Tried to sell it, had some interest, lots of messing about.  I had a trip away booked and paid for by the earnings. It hadn't sold by the time I'd left, so I tasked my brother with just selling the assets. 

• Thanks 1

I suppose a business that pays its way and its owner a living is not necessarily a business that can do all that and service any debt take out to purchase the business. 

There would also be key man dependency - a new owner would need to be able to replace the old owners skills.

2 hours ago, Declan said:

But wasn't the issue with Morgan's that the owner wanted to stop making pies and no one bought the business? 

Who is going to give anyone £40K for a business that requires you to get up at 4AM to start making pies. It’s like selling your poor lifestyle choices to someone else for top dollar. 

• Haha 1