Firm closing

finlo

22 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Exactly 

I live in Ramsey and personally I love it, but I am not narrow minded enough to assume that other people from other towns would want to come here.

There simply isn’t anything to attract them despite what TVOR seems to think.

The town has a huge amount to do before it becomes a destination for a night out for people in Douglas.  Unfortunately Peel, and to a lesser extent Castletown and Port Erin have already done it.

TVOR is looking at it from the perspective of an easily pleased senior citizen.

Ramsey has been let down by successive Town Hall administrations, including its full time TH staff, in the last 20+ years and central Govt too, as MHKS some in senior positions, have failed to encourage the sort of major inward investment that the town needs. One fairly successful hotel in the absence of any competition is not enough.

The fact that buses leaving Ramsey for Douglas and Peel on early Saturday evenings are rammed and buses arriving from those destinations are empty tells its own story.

• Like 2

To be fair, or TBF, for some posters, the downfall of Ramsey high st is down to the retailers rather than the commissioners? More likely the rents and footfall than the rates?

Or do you think the commissioners should subsidise the rents???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

To be fair, or TBF, for some posters, the downfall of Ramsey high st is down to the retailers rather than the commissioners? More likely the rents and footfall than the rates?

The alleged downfall of Ramsey high street is pure economics. Not enough customers. I grew up in a Manchester suburb which had nothing bar a few rough boozers and an Indian restaurant. People who wanted more went into the city centre.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

There is nothing wrong with Ramsey High Street.  It has what is probably the best selection of independent shops on the island.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

Well I hope they put as much effort into their food as in the funny names for the dishes!!!

It does seem to be expensive but they can always adjust the menu as they settle in and read their market.

Does anyone know who the owners are? Seems like someone with more money than catering sense!!!

Is it two rich housewives who thought it would be fun to open a restaurant? 😀

In a thread about business's closing, we should be celebrating that people are prepared to put their money, pride, whatever on the line and make new venues for us to visit and bring life to our high streets, and not being negative and  misogynistic.

What do you offer?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

The alleged downfall of Ramsey high street is pure economics. Not enough customers.

Which is precisely what I meant by being failed by Govt. Where is the oft-discussed relocation of a Govt Dept to Ramsey for instance? Out the window when a number of Douglas based Govt employees objected IIRC.

For at least 25 years Govt has treated anywhere North of a line drawn between Peel and Laxey as some sort of second class outpost. The Commissioners bicker about the colour of a lamp post and let the upkeep of the town slide, there's enough discussion about that on here.

Failed is the word.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

TVOR is looking at it from the perspective of an easily pleased senior citizen.

Ramsey has been let down by successive Town Hall administrations, including its full time TH staff, in the last 20+ years and central Govt too, as MHKS some in senior positions, have failed to encourage the sort of major inward investment that the town needs. One fairly successful hotel in the absence of any competition is not enough.

The fact that buses leaving Ramsey for Douglas and Peel on early Saturday evenings are rammed and buses arriving from those destinations are empty tells its own story.

You may be right about my perspective as an easily pleased senior citizen. I have no desire to go nightclubbing until the early hours, taking drugs and paying over the odds for drinks. 

I find more than enough to keep me entertained in Ramsey. Although I do make the odd foray into Douglas to go the Gaiety or Villa.

Re Peel, having lived there for some time in the past I can’t think of any advantage of the nightlife there over Ramsey ( apart from maybe the Centenary Centre) There are a similar number of pubs and restaurants in each town. Peel doesn’t even have one hotel, a couple of B and B’s that’s it.

I think you’re being over critical of the Ramsey Commissioners but totally agree with you in respect of the Government. Some central Government functions could easily be moved up north ( and to the south and west) without inconveniencing anyone in these days of online administration.

I like it here and it seems to me there are a greater number of dog owners here than anywhere else on the Island. Dog owners tend to be nicer people so that’s a big plus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Ramsey has got a new bike shed. Better than anything in Douglas.

I walked past it last night, it's certainly something to behold, fully enclosed in perspex with a door as well. No charging points though, so it can't be for e-bikes 😂

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You may be right about my perspective as an easily pleased senior citizen. I have no desire to go nightclubbing until the early hours, taking drugs and paying over the odds for drinks. 

I find more than enough to keep me entertained in Ramsey. Although I do make the odd foray into Douglas to go the Gaiety or Villa.

Re Peel, having lived there for some time in the past I can’t think of any advantage of the nightlife there over Ramsey ( apart from maybe the Centenary Centre) There are a similar number of pubs and restaurants in each town. Peel doesn’t even have one hotel, a couple of B and B’s that’s it.

I think you’re being over critical of the Ramsey Commissioners but totally agree with you in respect of the Government. Some central Government functions could easily be moved up north ( and to the south and west) without inconveniencing anyone in these days of online administration.

I like it here and it seems to me there are a greater number of dog owners here than anywhere else on the Island. Dog owners tend to be nicer people so that’s a big plus

So many dog owners, but a total intolerance to dogs in all all the public spaces?