Firm closing

finlo

If they close the Onchan one most people will use the Coop or Marks and Spencers and they won’t want that.   A lot of people do not like Tesco and Marks and Spencers  have become more reasonable lately with good quality fruit and veg.   The nearest Tesco would be Lake Road and that is not convenient.    I think the Coop will do very well out of this.   

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

If they close the Onchan one most people will use the Coop or Marks and Spencers and they won’t want that.   A lot of people do not like Tesco and Marks and Spencers  have become more reasonable lately with good quality fruit and veg.   The nearest Tesco would be Lake Road and that is not convenient.    I think the Coop will do very well out of this.   

2 on victoria Road are closer? 

3 minutes ago, User Name said:

I am the source, and the Island is hardly typical of a UK conurbation so will need dealing with differently. don't forget the good old Manx Winters, Tesco have experience of this and will change the local model to suit.

The warehouses are not mentioned in the media release, just the nine stores, it is clear they are not part of the main deal.

I do agree that it might be prudent for Tesco to create some local resilience, and protection from weather disruption, but they may have their own solution which doesn't involve those Shoprite warehouses. Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Nellie said:

The warehouses are not mentioned in the media release, just the nine stores, it is clear they are not part of the main deal.

I do agree that it might be prudent for Tesco to create some local resilience, and protection from weather disruption, but they may have their own solution which doesn't involve those Shoprite warehouses. Time will tell.

the media release doesn't mention the loss of the head office and the associated redundancies there - doesn't mean its not happening.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nellie said:

So is that where all the emergency toilet rolls will be stored? 

Tesco's operating method of "Store it on the shelves" model does'nt fit well on the Island, undependable ferries = russian supermarket shelves.

Shoprite though have the WC Wilson' store opposite the power station, frozen and dry, will Tesco adapt the method to suit the Islands needs if they grab it with the buyout?

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Absolutely. They can say they'll be matching UK prices in their statement all they want.

They won't in the long run.

They don't say they will be matching them in the statement though.  As ever you need to go to the actual press release from Shoprite (there's not one from Tesco I can see and the Government doesn't seem to have published theirs).  This reads:

Jason Tarry, Tesco UK CEO, said [...]

“It’s particularly important that we are able to deliver great value for customers on the island. For that reason, we will be linking prices locally with those in the UK*[1]. Our priority is to deliver for Manx customers the fantastic value that we deliver for all of our customers.

But it says "linking" not "matching".  If everything on the Isle of Man cost tens times as much, the prices would still be linked.  What we may see is a situation where there is a flat percentage increase across the board rather than just on comparatively few items as at present.

[1] The * doesn't actually refer to a footnote or anything else.  So it's possible the words "and if you believe that you'll believe anything were omitted at last minute.