Firm closing

finlo

18 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

And all the suppliers that will lose out? Including IT firms and lawyers over and above the obvious food suppliers?

Manx Radio, 3FM, IOM newspapers, vehicle suppliers etc etc.  they all pay back into government coffers.

I'm thinking the sun never shines in your cave.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

I'm thinking the sun never shines in your cave.

Are you saying all these people won’t see a downturn in revenue and therefore profit?

Its easy to sit and say we will get cheaper food, but if you look at the bigger picture there will be shortfalls elsewhere that need making up and ultimately we will be paying for them.

3 hours ago, Nellie said:

Tesco will also have seen this deal as a way for keeping any competition out

Well will it?

Why has no other big supermarket chain tried to move in hereto date?  I'd suggest that 'they' saw Tesco domination of Douglas whilst in the styx Shoprite has ruled the rest of the Island.

We have now regressed 20 or so years to when Tesco arrived to disrupt the Shoprite monopoly.  Tesco Douglas will be there for the taking by an Aldi or Lidl; it will become the 'Shoprite' of the rest of the Island while a well stocked rival eats (sorry!) into the main Tesco store profits.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Tesco is a bloody good company

In 20 or so years shopping at Tesco Douglas I would have to disagree.  I would find it extremely difficult to recall any new lines in that period - just the same old, same old stuff.  When it comes to innovation of goods and variety, Tesco scrapes the bottom.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

In 20 or so years shopping at Tesco Douglas I would have to disagree.  I would find it extremely difficult to recall any new lines in that period - just the same old, same old stuff.  When it comes to innovation of goods and variety, Tesco scrapes the bottom.

There are many ingredients we use that are only available from Tesco.

9 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Lots of new lines - Finest, Jamie Oliver, Mexican, American, branded pizza/fast food range.  

They are professional and the store is clean, well-maintained and tidy. 

Not paragons, but  they know what they are doing and have standards.  Shoprite have traded on their Manxness and have very little innovation other than teaming up with other retailers at a much higher cost. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Well will it?

Why has no other big supermarket chain tried to move in hereto date?  I'd suggest that 'they' saw Tesco domination of Douglas whilst in the styx Shoprite has ruled the rest of the Island.

We have now regressed 20 or so years to when Tesco arrived to disrupt the Shoprite monopoly.  Tesco Douglas will be there for the taking by an Aldi or Lidl; it will become the 'Shoprite' of the rest of the Island while a well stocked rival eats (sorry!) into the main Tesco store profits.

It's an interesting point. I meant that this deal stops any immediate rival entry into the market, by blocking a sale of Shoprite to a competitor. But it will alter the landscape in the way you describe. And nothing stays the same forever.

can't see the smaller Shoprite in Peel lasting - but guess will finally see selfservice checkouts in the larger stores and I suspect Robinsons will lose their in-store franchise. Shoprite added 20-30% to Sainsbury's prices, so will be amazed if Tesco keep UK prices, certainly not for the out of Douglas stores, tho I was told they didn't truly match UK prices there but I haven't shopped at Tescos in UK or on Island for years, as M&S as well as the Coop upped their fresh produce and I try to avoid most ready meals would have liked to see a Morrison store return however.
  • Like 2