Firm closing

finlo

20 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

In 20 or so years shopping at Tesco Douglas I would have to disagree.  I would find it extremely difficult to recall any new lines in that period - just the same old, same old stuff.  When it comes to innovation of goods and variety, Tesco scrapes the bottom.

New stuff appears every week. Old faithfuls disappear. Like every supermarket chain, everywhere. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Frances said:

can't see the smaller Shoprite in Peel lasting - but guess will finally see selfservice checkouts in the larger stores and I suspect Robinsons will lose their in-store franchise. Shoprite added 20-30% to Sainsbury's prices, so will be amazed if Tesco keep UK prices, certainly not for the out of Douglas stores, tho I was told they didn't truly match UK prices there but I haven't shopped at Tescos in UK or on Island for years, as M&S as well as the Coop upped their fresh produce and I try to avoid most ready meals would have liked to see a Morrison store return however.

I think if M&S did an on Island food shopping delivery they’d do very well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's all been a lot of,    well,     WORDS!!!

I'm confused .com.................

.......and what can we do about it?????

Most British supermarket foods come from the same few factories, to claim a 'quality' difference is perhaps, perception?

Another poster was aware of this a month or so ago, should have published and be damned?

Just now, Passing Time said:

I sincerely hope that Tesco Board of Directors consulted many of the commercial experts on here before putting in an offer...

Tesco know exactly what they are doing and nobody has claimed they don’t.

The issue is the long term impact on our local economy.

It appears you have completely missed the point of the discussion.

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

Tesco know exactly what they are doing and nobody has claimed they don’t.

The issue is the long term impact on our local economy.

It appears you have completely missed the point of the discussion.

Cobblers mate. There has always been change and always will be. If you're stuck in Ramsey or way down south an upgrade to a Tesco Express (or whatever it's called) will be a big plus. I haven't been back to Ramsey for ~11 years or so but the last time I was in Shoprite is was dire.

I have been worrying about the commercial reason behind this all day. I know that Morrisons looked at this some time ago and walked away. 

My suspicion is that Tesco are seeing us as a trial for other markets.  This last few weeks I have been really annoyed/struck at the cramped conditions in the Douglas shop, mostly due to their own people stocking baskets for home delivery. 

I think they are struggling to make money on the home delivery thing along with all the other supermarkets trying it. The island may be a good test bed to try and refine how to do it.

• Like 1

Just now, NoTail said:

I have been worrying about the commercial reason behind this all day. I know that Morrisons looked at this some time ago and walked away. 

My suspicion is that Tesco are seeing us as a trial for other markets.  This last few weeks I have been really annoyed/struck at the cramped conditions in the Douglas shop, mostly due to their own people stocking baskets for home delivery. 

I think they are struggling to make money on the home delivery thing along with all the other supermarkets trying it. The island may be a good test bed to try and refine how to do it.

I use ASDA here in Cornwall, home delivery is very popular and must be a winner otherwise they just wouldn't offer it. Similarly Click and Collect.

I doubt Tesco are going to trial anything, also I expect Shoprite's owners approached Tesco & not the other way round.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Because you can never get a delivery slot. They could probably scale that up 3/4 times at least but doubt they can get enough drivers or distribution space. Now they could probably turn one Shoprite just into a home delivery distribution warehouse and have vans in and out all day long and no annoying customers to remove stuff from shelves around.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NoTail said:

My suspicion is that Tesco are seeing us as a trial for other markets.

I doubt it.

IIRC they were blocked by Shoprite objections from developing a store in Castletown. And Douglas council would probably have thrown a silly tantrum if Tesco had tried to open a sensible out of Douglas super store. So this is probably a middle ground.

And perhaps more local stores will act as hubs for delivery.

Should ease the 5pm traffic in Douglas too.

Edited by genericUserName
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nellie said:

Tesco are taking leases on nine stores. The ex-garage site in Ballasalla is clearly not involved. It just happens to be a property owned by Shoprite's parent. They also own loads of other property around the Island, for example, their HQ in Victoria Road, which won't be part of the deal either. 

Because of Shoprite's long-standing policy of buying up likely retail properties and keeping them empty to prevent competition moving in, they must have enough spare shops (or potential sites) that they could set up a parallel chain to Tesco practically straight away.  While it would be extremely funny if Aldi or whoever then  bought them up and undercut Tesco, I wonder if the 21 year lease is written so as to prevent this.  It would explain why Tesco have not bought the properties, even though, like other supermarkets, they have moved more in the direction of site ownership.

(Obviously in a more reasonable jurisdiction such a thing would be illegal as anti-competitive, but I doubt we have either the legislation or the will to enforce it - waves in direction of various boarded up pubs)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Cobblers mate. There has always been change and always will be. If you're stuck in Ramsey or way down south an upgrade to a Tesco Express (or whatever it's called) will be a big plus. I haven't been back to Ramsey for ~11 years or so but the last time I was in Shoprite is was dire.

Shoprite isnt dire, yes it has some limitations but we have always patronised it as much as we could. The important thing is that it offered a choice,  an alternative.  I dont want just tesco.

It's a very sad day for all the island.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1