Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I think one of the problems with a small jurisdiction is ability to carry large and varied stock.

For instance our old Vax cleaner's filter disintegrated and no one on the island had one , I got it within three days from off island. This happens time and time again with equipment repairs.

I find that quite a bit myself, but then I almost always try to repair something rather than throw it away but that’s quite an old fashioned attitude now, most people would have thrown your old vax away 10+ years ago and bought a new Dyson (which ironically needs more regularly cleaning) or one of those Shark things that everyone raves about.

Most of the electrical repair type shops have long gone now, it’s a wonder there is any cobblers left either.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bandits said:

You might find that the closing of RB is more to do with a contract which M & S recently canned which they can’t discuss because of an NDA in the contract. 

I knew those 65p loaves were identical to White & 'Healthy' and they always mysteriously still had them in even when the boat didn't sail for a few days.

It's partly down to market conditions, partly down to population. The IOM has the population of a town in the UK spread over 4 areas. You're not going to find a mountain of Vax spares in one of those areas because they're not going to sell enough or make sufficient profit on them to pay the rent. All those spares gathering dust are going to cost them money and display space that they may never get back. Someone selling online can hold the mountain of spares because they can effectively sell to a town with tens of millions of people.

I liked Shakti Man a lot, but their prices went up significantly in recent years - they went from selling cheap stuff and patchouli oil to expensive fairtrade stuff and patchouli oil - when the prices go up, you need a large population just to met the demographic who'll spend the money, which we haven't got. It's a shame they closed, just because they were somewhere different to go - they've left a niche in the market that someone else could pick up, if they reengineered their business model. Rainbow's End in Douglas have been in business for a while, after all.

The reason that there's so many cafes and coffee shops are because it's difficult to buy toast or a hot frothy coffee online and get it delivered in the next 2 minutes. Other shops that depend on unique items or fresh items (like affordable craft items, fresh fish or gelato) do pretty well, as do shops that sell bulky, awkward stuff that would be a nightmare to deliver on a small scale (like drainpipes or plywood sheets), or those that provide a service that you have to physically be there to receive (like the hundreds of hairdressers everywhere).  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

It's partly down to market conditions, partly down to population. The IOM has the population of a town in the UK spread over 4 areas. You're not going to find a mountain of Vax spares in one of those areas because they're not going to sell enough or make sufficient profit on them to pay the rent. All those spares gathering dust are going to cost them money and display space that they may never get back. Someone selling online can hold the mountain of spares because they can effectively sell to a town with tens of millions of people.

I liked Shakti Man a lot, but their prices went up significantly in recent years - they went from selling cheap stuff and patchouli oil to expensive fairtrade stuff and patchouli oil - when the prices go up, you need a large population just to met the demographic who'll spend the money, which we haven't got. It's a shame they closed, just because they were somewhere different to go - they've left a niche in the market that someone else could pick up, if they reengineered their business model. Rainbow's End in Douglas have been in business for a while, after all.

The reason that there's so many cafes and coffee shops are because it's difficult to buy toast or a hot frothy coffee online and get it delivered in the next 2 minutes. Other shops that depend on unique items or fresh items (like affordable craft items, fresh fish or gelato) do pretty well, as do shops that sell bulky, awkward stuff that would be a nightmare to deliver on a small scale (like drainpipes or plywood sheets), or those that provide a service that you have to physically be there to receive (like the hundreds of hairdressers everywhere).  

It took you three paragraphs to say feck all…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Bastard said:

The reason that there's so many cafes and coffee shops are because it's difficult to buy toast or a hot frothy coffee online and get it delivered in the next 2 minutes. 

But you can buy a nespresso machine for £100 and make the toast yourself before you leave home. Which is what a lot of people now do. The coffee shops will be exactly the same when the bite on peoples disposable income happens as the full impact of utility increases hit. The price of a coffee is now around £2.75 and it’s also starting to be an unnecessary expense when your gas bill is taking priority.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I find that quite a bit myself, but then I almost always try to repair something rather than throw it away but that’s quite an old fashioned attitude now, most people would have thrown your old vax away 10+ years ago and bought a new Dyson (which ironically needs more regularly cleaning) or one of those Shark things that everyone raves about.

Most of the electrical repair type shops have long gone now, it’s a wonder there is any cobblers left either.

That's a coincidence, I've just got my shoes back from the cobblers in Douglas! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roxanne said:

You’re way out of date fella. 

A friend and I bought two ‘dirty chai’s’ from Cycle 360 yesterday and was charged £8.40 for them.

That’s £4.20 for a double espresso, a shot of chai, about 50mls of hot milk and a pinch of chai sprinkles on top  

(my friend paid - I’m not daft) 

On TV about coffee prices yesterday, coffee beans up massively , double last 3 years,transport of beans has risen 600%& minimum wages up plus utilities etc etc, having said that cycle 360 is expensive!!

10 hours ago, Roxanne said:

A friend and I bought two ‘dirty chai’s’ from Cycle 360 yesterday and was charged £8.40 for them.

That’s £4.20 for a double espresso, a shot of chai, about 50mls of hot milk and a pinch of chai sprinkles on top  

No but your friend is! ( still don’t understand all this coffee terminology, chai etc Nescafé granules for me !)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I got a bout of food poisoning from that place the other month, rather than blast them on social media I sent them an email. Their response was to try the Singapore noodles next time. Not even a tiny apology so now I have no problem rubbishing them

11 hours ago, Banker said:

On TV about coffee prices yesterday, coffee beans up massively , double last 3 years,transport of beans has risen 600%& minimum wages up plus utilities etc etc, having said that cycle 360 is expensive!!

I buy Taylors of Harrogate roasted beans - not much change in price over the last years. I also buy Amazon's own brand, also a fine drink.

Save your money - get a Delonghi and diy.

Edited by GD4ELI

Well, back to the op and I'm sure this has already been covered within the 40-odd pages that I'm not going to wade through, but the headline news on the BBC today is that the world faces a hunger "catastrophe" with wheat production in Ukraine taking an, at times literal, hit, allied to rising prices for fuel, fertilizer, labour etc etc.

So, is there a real case to nationalise the bakery and continue providing a market for locally grown wheat and thus some food security on the island in these uneasy times? I certainly think so.

The case for nationalising Shaktiman is, alas, not so convincing. But are the charities, suppliers of that shop losing revenue partly to ensure brand integrity, and does that not demean brand integrity? But I digress.

Bread, it's great.