Firm closing

finlo

Surely the future of grocery retail is online with last mile delivery from local hubs, we already buy many staples like ground coffee, tooth brushes, toothpaste, razor blades, shampoo etc from Amazon, seems bizarre that Tesco have taken on a 21 year lease for physical stores, when that is so obviously not the future of retail.

7 minutes ago, WTF said:

i can't , unless they want to start their own private car park , they couldn't get planning to extend that store so the car park would be wasted space,  mind you,  shoprite won't be objecting to tesco planning applications anymore will they ?? .

Maybe use the 'store' as warehouse for picking for delivery and car park for click and collect?

9 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Surely the future of grocery retail is online with last mile delivery from local hubs, we already buy many staples like ground coffee, tooth brushes, toothpaste, razor blades, shampoo etc from Amazon, seems bizarre that Tesco have taken on a 21 year lease for physical stores, when that is so obviously not the future of retail.

I am inclined to agree.  We do much more basic stuff on Amazon than ever.  I haven’t carried washing powder, cleaning products, pet food or toilet rolls home for a long time, they just get left in the garden shed by the delivery person.

Fresh stuff comes from almost daily shops and trips to farm shops.  I would say the days of the big weekly shop are numbered, but then remember we have people posting here who boycott shops that don’t still have manned tills so there are clearly a few still very stuck in their ways.

What possible benefit is there to buying washing powder from a supermarket and having to carry it home when you can just say “Alexa, order washing powder” in the kitchen when you realise you are getting a bit low and it arrives in your shed a couple of days later without you having to do anything?  Hell, in big parts of the UK now it can be delivered an hour or so after you ask Alexa for it

Edited by CrazyDave

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Isn’t fresh produce kind of against the Iceland principle? :)

I can see them being pushed to enable Robinsons to take on a store for local produce maybe??

Actually Iceland have long operated with a wide supermarket range, not just frozen (as I'm sure you know).  They actually sold in the Port Erin small Shoprite when it was running and badged as Iceland and it was quite good and a lot cheaper than the Robinsons stuff - and usually a lot fresher.

Robinsons already have a store on the Terrace and there would be nothing to prevent them opening more if they wanted.  But a lot of their business has always been commercial ie selling to restaurants, hotels, government and private institutions and the like. Which explains why their stuff in Shoprite is often a bit tired - the supply chain is longer and other people get there first.

• Like 2

I can see one of the Douglas or Onchan stores being used for white and household goods and clothing, in the short term.

Id like to think they could develop a collect by car service, but they need a full service shop to do that from as home delivery and collect by car depends on pickers going round the store. Wouldn’t work from a warehouse or smaller store.

If Tesco does decided to get rid of the Michael Street shop in Peel, I think it would be great if Co-op next-door took over the premises and knocked through to create a bigger Co-op. 

I have no idea if that would be possible (building ownership/lease-holder, other obstacles, etc) but it would be an outcome I could support. 

14 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I am inclined to agree.  We do much more basic stuff on Amazon than ever.  I haven’t carried washing powder, cleaning products, pet food or toilet rolls home for a long time, they just get left in the garden shed by the delivery person.

Fresh stuff comes from almost daily shops and trips to farm shops.  I would say the days of the big weekly shop are numbered, but then remember we have people posting here who boycott shops that don’t still have manned tills so there are clearly a few still very stuck in their ways.

What possible benefit is there to buying washing powder from a supermarket and having to carry it home when you can just say “Alexa, order washing powder” in the kitchen when you realise you are getting a bit low and it arrives in your shed a couple of days later without you having to do anything?  Hell, in big parts of the UK now it can be delivered an hour or so after you ask Alexa for it

if you live an apartment having somewhere for parcel deliveries to be secured is maybe not an option.

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Isn’t fresh produce kind of against the Iceland principle? :)

I can see them being pushed to enable Robinsons to take on a store for local produce maybe??

Didn’t you know that Iceland have for a long time sold fresh items . They pivoted out of being a solely frozen food retailer years ago ! 

44 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But how else will Thommo get away with a full trolley of shopping for the price of a bag of carrots?

I went into Tesco on Sunday and was amused to see a long line of filled trollies waiting to check out at the automatic tills - mainly I suspect having used one of those devices to record your shop as you went along.  And beyond them several human-run checkouts with hardly anyone at them. 

Of course for some people being able to know your running total is vital, but the system does give the opportunity for things to 'accidentally' missed or small, expensive items to vanish into the depths of the trolley.  And in the unlikely chance it gets picked up by security staff, you can always claim that little Ollie must have slipped it in there when you weren't looking.  Isn't he a scamp?

Meanwhile the supermarkets whine loudly about shoplifting being on the increase and blaming poor people, rather than their own business practices.

If you get a random check and they find a forgotten item you then get checked on the next 3 occasion. If they find more forgotten items on subsequent visits that 3 gets extended up to 12 months. 

My missus genuinely forgot to scan a bottle of Highland Park single malt whisky once and she got checked (full trolley) for weeks.

Also remember they have staff undercover watching on cameras. They are not stupid. If they see someone not scanning they will intercept them when they leave the store. Just like they always have.

That's unless the thief looks dangerous in which case they sometimes just let them leave. I have seen this at Tesco expresses in London

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If you get a random check and they find a forgotten item you then get checked on the next 3 occasion. If they find more forgotten items on subsequent visits that 3 gets extended up to 12 months. 

My missus genuinely forgot to scan a bottle of Highland Park single malt whisky once and she got checked (full trolley) for weeks.

Also remember they have staff undercover watching on cameras. They are not stupid. If they see someone not scanning they will intercept them when they leave the store. Just like they always have.

That's unless the thief looks dangerous in which case they sometimes just let them leave. I have seen this at Tesco expresses in London

Undercover Staff ? On the IOM? Doubt it.

• Haha 1