Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

All stats point to a continuing trend, and it won't stop, why would it?  Who buys clothes in shops these days, why would anyone with a choice  spend anytime in a shit hole like a Tesco?

Maybe ask yourself why two of the most recent successful retailers Aldi and Lidl have been building new stores across . 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

That is not a sustainable business model.

People don’t want to be limited to local seasonal fruit and veg.  They want it all, all through the year and they want to pay low prices for it.

True.  I think that is changing however.  Just look at the movement from hyper processed big brand stuff, back to more local artisanal producers.  Thank the hipsters for that.  More people are paying attention to carbon footprints, seasonality, environmental sustainability, backlash against all powerful corporations etc.  If they marketed it correctly, then it would be doable however likely more expensive.  Unfortunate timing with the current cost of living crisis, but it would parallel with those that can afford solar, EVs etc.   Obviously it's not going to work if I want some bananas.  But for potatoes for instance, I happily pay an extra 25% or so for it to all be local. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not really...I have my reasons.

You have your reasons to wish ordinary people who are employed by Robinson's out of their jobs, just because you don't like the employer? That's a bit nasty. 

15 minutes ago, IOM said:

Maybe ask yourself why two of the most recent successful retailers Aldi and Lidl have been building new stores across . 

I have shopped at both Aldi and Lidl, Lidl is the only shop I have seen a man take a poo in a carpark in the middle of the day and then go in and do a shop, its a horrid smelly shop with long queues often rotting fruit and cheap booze it might suit you but not me.

11 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

I have shopped at both Aldi and Lidl, Lidl is the only shop I have seen a man take a poo in a carpark in the middle of the day and then go in and do a shop, its a horrid smelly shop with long queues often rotting fruit and cheap booze it might suit you but not me.

I am not saying it suits me or you . But a lot of people shop at Aldi and Lidl and they are putting down more store space so I still don’t understand why you see no future for physical stores . Also M and S are busy opening new Simply food stores across again they would not do this if they saw no future in it . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, newaccount said:

Its an opportunity for them to expand on Cooil Road. 

I think you’re clutching at straws here, it’s a disaster not the greatest opportunity as you originally posted .

also for others like starvey farms, Andreas meats, Bushys & Manx honey etc etc

Edited by Banker

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Agreed.  The Nicholsons must be near retirement age now.    None of their kids interested in running the business.  No obvious succession plan within the company. Probably looking for an exit and a cushy retirement. 

That was my impression as well.  Deryck Nicholson was born July 1946 so he's well beyond retirement age.  You wonder if the various partnerships in recent years were as much about trying to find someone to sell to as anything else.  But Tesco would always be going to pay more to keep out the competition.

The business must still have been have been profitable if not spectacular, but I suspect the family is hoping that the revenue from the properties will keep things nice and cushy for them.  Whether it will or not is another matter, Tesco will not hesitate to try change things in their favour if they change their mind.

19 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

How old was he?

47 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Just look at the movement from hyper processed big brand stuff, back to more local artisanal producers.  Thank the hipsters for that.  More people are paying attention to carbon footprints, seasonality, environmental sustainability, backlash against all powerful corporations etc.  (…) Obviously it's not going to work if I want some bananas.  But for potatoes for instance, I happily pay an extra 25% or so for it to all be local

Hipster potatoes?   Whatever next?