Firm closing

finlo

16 hours ago, HiVibes said:

I have shopped at both Aldi and Lidl, Lidl is the only shop I have seen a man take a poo in a carpark in the middle of the day and then go in and do a shop, its a horrid smelly shop with long queues often rotting fruit and cheap booze it might suit you but not me.

Absolute bollocks! We have used Lidl and Aldi for years and fund the produce to be of the best value and quality,in fact Lidl vegetables last longer than a few other retailers,  as for smelly I have never noticed and the queues are quickly reduced as they have plenty of staff.  If some sad individual decides to shit in an M&S car park does that make the shop smelly? 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Starship Enterprise Minister Tim Johnston been on the NPM this morning saying that assurances must be given by Tesco on local suppliers. So are IOMG interfering and setting terms and conditions? Maybe Tesco will get fed up and pull out of the deal, thereby leaving IOMG to purchase Shopshite - another ‘arms length’ company set up and layer of civil servants. I’m sure Professor Ashford could have a turn as a supermarket manager. 

Why would IOMG buy Shoprite?  It isn't a public service and even if the stores closed never to re-open, there are other food retailers as already cited above. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Starship Enterprise Minister Tim Johnston been on the NPM this morning saying that assurances must be given by Tesco on local suppliers. So are IOMG interfering and setting terms and conditions? Maybe Tesco will get fed up and pull out of the deal, thereby leaving IOMG to purchase Shopshite - another ‘arms length’ company set up and layer of civil servants. I’m sure Professor Ashford could have a turn as a supermarket manager. 

Ashford thinks it’s a merger.

• Haha 3

Ashford’s delusional personality is absolutely hilarious

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/government-should-have-been-involved-in-shoprite-decision-says-mhk/

Government should have been involved in the Shoprite sale so his delusional talents now extend to business consultancy and M&A advisory to as well as the delusional medical qualifications he had over covid. This bloke is simply a Walter Mitty style fantasist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In the meantime, small businesses continue to close at a worrying rate, hit by post covid conditions, global costs and, almost undoubtedly, Govt taxation and charge burden.

Screenshot_20231011-090235_Samsung Internet.jpg

19 minutes ago, Declan said:

Not only are the supermarkets driving independent local business out of existence, they're driving them out of this thread! Surely this needs it's own topic. 

Albert decided it didn't. 

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

In the meantime, small businesses continue to close at a worrying rate, hit by post covid conditions, global costs and, almost undoubtedly, Govt taxation and charge burden.

Screenshot_20231011-090235_Samsung Internet.jpg

Quite sad. Unfortunately, this seems to be the way this island is headed nowadays (not just in the hospitality industry either). More about photo opportunities (Food And Drink Festival, for example), than making sure the island and its people are thriving, whether it is education, health care, and what have you.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Absolute bollocks! We have used Lidl and Aldi for years and fund the produce to be of the best value and quality,in fact Lidl vegetables last longer than a few other retailers,  as for smelly I have never noticed and the queues are quickly reduced as they have plenty of staff.  If some sad individual decides to shit in an M&S car park does that make the shop smelly? 

At one point that Lidl was my nearest shop so I frequented it for a few things, the fruit was always overripe, the store was always smelly, and the carpark was scruffy to the extent people used it as a toliet because the store did not have customer facilities. The vodka was always cheap though as was the UHT milk, so for a certain type I get it's like paradise.

3 minutes ago, majkul said:

Quite sad. Unfortunately, this seems to be the way this island is headed nowadays (not just in the hospitality industry either). More about photo opportunities (Food And Drink Festival, for example), than making sure the island and its people are thriving, whether it is education, health care, and what have you.

Or the IOM finally welcomes the real world. I’ve got a lot of my UK clients on insolvency watch as so many are starting to go bust. It isn’t just an IOM thing every Monday I log into the Gazette to see if another one has filed for administration or bankruptcy. There are literally hundreds a week in the UK now. This is starting to unravel as a fairly serious recession and the IOM will not be immune at all so I don’t know why people expect us to be any different. At least we have a relatively stable finance and e-gaming sector whilst our retail, hospitality and other sectors tank. 

• Like 1