Firm closing

finlo

34 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Or the IOM finally welcomes the real world. I’ve got a lot of my UK clients on insolvency watch as so many are starting to go bust. It isn’t just an IOM thing every Monday I log into the Gazette to see if another one has filed for administration or bankruptcy. There are literally hundreds a week in the UK now. This is starting to unravel as a fairly serious recession and the IOM will not be immune at all so I don’t know why people expect us to be any different. At least we have a relatively stable finance and e-gaming sector whilst our retail, hospitality and other sectors tank. 

The hospitality industry has always been volatile with many new businesses never seeing their 2nd birthday, let alone 5th. But there are always plenty of new entrants. 

You can only gauge state of industry by the net difference between openers and closers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

In the meantime, small businesses continue to close at a worrying rate, hit by post covid conditions, global costs and, almost undoubtedly, Govt taxation and charge burden.

Screenshot_20231011-090235_Samsung Internet.jpg

The good places are still open and in some cases expanding.

The poorly run ones or ones in locations that were never going to be viable close.

It has always been the way, and it will always continue to be the way.

There are places that have opened in the last 12 months that I can already tell you will fail inside three years, and there are others that you can see will grow into profitable and viable businesses.  Its not governments place to support people who can’t run a businesss properly.

• Like 2

I have some concerns about the reduction of competition with supermarkets on the Island, as a result of the Tesco acquisition but I’m not sure that more Government involvement, as Professor Ashford appears to have wanted, is desirable either. If a private business sells to another private business, I suspect that government interference in the process would not produce any favourable result. It’s for consumers to decide what they buy and what produce they want and for local suppliers to negotiate with the retailer. An enforced solution is likely to be no solution at all. 
The real concern is whether Tesco continue to regard all the current 9 Shoprite outlets as being financially viable. I note the Tesco Express strategy for the smaller shops, but a lot will depend on footfall and turnover in the future. 

• Like 3

Did IOMG make a song and dance, when Ramsey Bakery closed down. Granted there were concerns with Laxey Mill but weren’t we assured that everything was wonderful, nothing to worry about? If Shopshite were in financial difficulties, would IOMG get involved, claiming national importance. 

It’s not the states role to interfere, and certainly tell businesses what goods they can stock. If Tesco are impressed with a Manx product and it sells, then the Manx producer has the opportunity to get their product on the supermarket shelves to a larger market. If the MFU and politicos start picking fights and interfering, maybe Tesco will not stock certain Manx products, a lose lose scenario. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

At one point that Lidl was my nearest shop so I frequented it for a few things, the fruit was always overripe, the store was always smelly, and the carpark was scruffy to the extent people used it as a toliet because the store did not have customer facilities. The vodka was always cheap though as was the UHT milk, so for a certain type I get it's like paradise.

Sounds as though you lived in a less than desirable shithole, where I live that behavior would not be tolerated and toilets are provided very close. The car park is probably one of the best and also monitored to ensure that it remains in top condition. I do not drink vodka or use UHT milk so I am unable to confirm or deny whether the items are cheap in comparison.

Just now, joebean said:

I have some concerns about the reduction of competition with supermarkets on the Island, as a result of the Tesco acquisition but I’m not sure that more Government involvement, as Professor Ashford appears to have wanted, is desirable either. If a private business sells to another private business, I suspect that government interference in the process would not produce any favourable result. It’s for consumers to decide what they buy and what produce they want and for local suppliers to negotiate with the retailer. An enforced solution is likely to be no solution at all. 
The real concern is whether Tesco continue to regard all the current 9 Shoprite outlets as being financially viable. I note the Tesco Express strategy for the smaller shops, but a lot will depend on footfall and turnover in the future. 

The small Shopshite stores being labelled as Tesco Express stores. As you rightly say, the consumer will make the decisions 

12 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Sounds as though you lived in a less than desirable shithole, where I live that behavior would not be tolerated and toilets are provided very close. The car park is probably one of the best and also monitored to ensure that it remains in top condition. I do not drink vodka or use UHT milk so I am unable to confirm or deny whether the items are cheap in comparison.

I’ve used both Lidl and ALDI in UK, IRL and Spain, and Lidl in Bulgaria.

10-15 years ago the scruffy down at heel vibe was prevalent. Now the stores are modern, clean, light, bright, well stocked.

I often stay at the Premier Inn Lime Street ( on Bolton Street ). There’s a Lidl just round the corner on Lime Street itself. Far nicer than the Tesco Express on Skelhorne St, or the Sainsbury local in St John Centre ( opposite ). 

And much cheaper.

• Like 4

Just now, John Wright said:

I’ve used both Lidl and ALDI in UK, IRL and Spain, and Lidl in Bulgaria.

10-15 years ago the scruffy down at heel vibe was prevalent. Now the stores are modern, clean, light, bright, well stocked.

I often stay at the Premier Inn Lime Street. There’s a Lidl just round the corner on Lime Street itself. Far nicer than the Tesco Express on Coperas Hill or the Sainsbury local in St John Centre ( opposite ). 

And much cheaper.

Indeed John, I have used both premises and cannot find fault. I recall a few years ago in Oxfordshire the locals were opposed to any Aldi outlets being built within the county, that has now changed and the main shoppers rock up in their Range rovers and Discovery's carrying Waitrose/M&S  carrier bags although are quite happy to use Aldi for their shopping needs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, joebean said:

I have some concerns about the reduction of competition with supermarkets on the Island, as a result of the Tesco acquisition but I’m not sure that more Government involvement, as Professor Ashford appears to have wanted, is desirable either

I’m sure.   My yardstick is this - if Ashford thinks IOMG should have been involved, then IOMG definitely shouldn’t have been involved.   It’s easy once you get the hang of it.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

east we have a relatively stable finance and e-gaming sector whilst our retail, hospitality and other sectors tank. 

You say it’s tanking but there’s lots of business looking for staff eg Comis , McDonald’s & many others. Also new business opening eg revamped Tiki bar, new restaurant opening soon where meatings was, hops, Matchams 

37 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

The good places are still open and in some cases expanding.

The poorly run ones or ones in locations that were never going to be viable close.

It has always been the way, and it will always continue to be the way.

There are places that have opened in the last 12 months that I can already tell you will fail inside three years, and there are others that you can see will grow into profitable and viable businesses.  Its not governments place to support people who can’t run a businesss properly.

It's not Govt's job to support businesses that can't run themselves (although they throw enough into their own such operations, such as the Meat Plant).

My point is that in addition to the global economic pressures that are hitting business everywhere it is my belief that local businesses (and everyone else) are being crippled by additional burdens being imposed by Govt as it seeks to shore up its own fuck ups of the past and present.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

You say it’s tanking but there’s lots of business looking for staff eg Comis , McDonald’s & many others. Also new business opening eg revamped Tiki bar, new restaurant opening soon where meatings was, hops, Matchams 

Where’s Jack White when you need him. The closures are self evident what you’re seeing is the more financially viable businesses grabbing market share. 

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's not Govt's job to support businesses that can't run themselves (although they throw enough into their own such operations, such as the Meat Plant).

My point is that in addition to the global economic pressures that are hitting business everywhere it is my belief that local businesses (and everyone else) are being crippled by additional burdens being imposed by Govt as it seeks to shore up its own fuck ups of the past and present.

There are no additional burdens that people weren’t aware of when they drew up their business plans.

If they had just increased VAT or something you might have a point, but they haven’t.