Firm closing

finlo

40 minutes ago, Kopek said:

wOULD THEY WANT TO PAY RENT on two sites? Better to reduce the clothing area to expand the food???   Is what their current re modelling is  trying to achieve?~??

maybe their clothing lines are worth keeping in this store due to insufficient competition

31 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I heard that as well. It would be a simply food, with the addition of a cafe. It would allow the current M&S to expand its offering on clothing, furniture and homeware. That’s unless IOMG start interfering, and Professor Ashford will want to know what Manx produce and food and drink they will stock. 

well government own that site which is why its lain empty (apart from covid) due to them driving shoprite out with exorbitant rents and a Mexican standoff over who was responsible for the leaky roof

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, english zloty said:

well government own that site which is why its lain empty (apart from covid) due to them driving shoprite out with exorbitant rents and a Mexican standoff over who was responsible for the leaky roof

That sounds like typical IOMG and DoI who like to dictate to others but don’t practice what they preach. The rents were probably exorbitant as IOMG were probably being advised by estate agents, who in typical fashion, like to think that the island is booming. 

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I agree. But it's not really a supermarket as I perceive it. It's a food hall with a few none food items. I would never think to do our weekly shop there even thought it's technically possible. 

M&S are careful to aim their marketing at a certain sector of the community. For example, you don't get too many chav types in there. That's not you of course, but I'm just using an example.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Tesco may end up not selling a lot more because people will shop at their local branch instead of braving Lake Road and the whole operation will be splintered instead of being in one place, much more expensive and a lot more hassle and costs, we will see.

Quite right and Tesco is going to have to invest a lot more in its logistics operation.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

M&S are careful to aim their marketing at a certain sector of the community. For example, you don't get too many chav types in there. That's not you of course, but I'm just using an example.

I get what you mean. We go there occasionally for small food shops. We went  a lot in COVID. The parking puts me off mostly. Can't be bothered trying to find a space for the XR3.

I see Minister Barber of DEFA has stirred herself and actually gone back to work. She was on the NPM (MR) and in true Manx style IOMG are going to provide financial support and advice. Throwing taxpayers money seems to be IOMG default. 

Incidentally I wonder if IOMG favourite hotel group which has received financial support, uses Manx locally produced products? Maybe any organisation receiving taxpayer financial support, should be accompanied by terms and conditions, and plenty of IOMG interference, especially as to what suppliers it must use. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I see Minister Barber of DEFA has stirred herself and actually gone back to work. She was on the NPM (MR) and in true Manx style IOMG are going to provide financial support and advice. Throwing taxpayers money seems to be IOMG default. 

Incidentally I wonder if IOMG favourite hotel group which has received financial support, uses Manx locally produced products? Maybe any organisation receiving taxpayer financial support, should be accompanied by terms and conditions, and plenty of IOMG interference, especially as to what suppliers it must use. 

Where is all this money coming from ? 

• Like 3