Firm closing

finlo

Maybe Tesco will open a Manx only Store.

The prices will be higher than the normal stores. We will all avoid it and then they'll be able to shut it down

If we had all patronised the Manx products at Shopshite, they would have been a lot more busy and could have been sold as a going concern. We didn't and it wasn't

• Confused 1

Some people are rather missing the point.  It's not that Tesco won't take Manx produce in the same way that Shoprite did - they already stock a number of such goods.  It's that they may abuse their overwhelming position in the local retail market to keep what they pay to suppliers low, while increasing consumer prices and their own profits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If we had all patronised the Manx products at Shopshite, they would have been a lot more busy and could have been sold as a going concern. We didn't and it wasn't

If Shoprite had operated to an effective business model, kept their stores clean, their stock kept up to date, and made shopping there a pleasant experience, then it would have been a lot more busy and we would have availed ourselves of the Manx products. They didn't, and we didn't.

Market forces.

Even you , now, calling it 'Shopshite' says all anyone needs to know.

On a personal level, I only ever went here to buy Manx, I didn't touch anything else.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

t's that they may abuse their overwhelming position in the local retail market to keep what they pay to suppliers low, while increasing consumer prices and their own profits.

I mean, that's their business model right there, isn't it?

We demand cheap food. They make it happen. Suppliers get less.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Some people are rather missing the point.  It's not that Tesco won't take Manx produce in the same way that Shoprite did - they already stock a number of such goods. 

Let's remind ourselves what Teco is likely to require from local producers by recalling the issues in 2012 that were faced by the meat plant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-17205766

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

They could use some of the tax money that Shoprite and their suppliers have generated both directly and indirectly for the island.  It will be a significant amount, but is unfortunately about to dry up.

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

The local population bought x produce.

Without shoprite they will still continue to buy x produce. They'll just buy it from a different supplier. That different supplier will continue to generate tax money. If local suppliers want to sell and don't meet whatever rules Tesco have, provided their produce represents value for money, then they can find alternative ways of bringing it to the market. Bry Rad and his veg in Ramsey and Kermellys also in Ramsey are both good examples.

Just realised that both examples are in Ramsey, however that's no great surprise as it is the centre of the known world.

Anyways, I heard that there's only one local deal it wants to secure, the Ramsey Commissioners biscuit supply contract! 🤣

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Maybe Tesco will open a Manx only Store.

The prices will be higher than the normal stores. We will all avoid it and then they'll be able to shut it down

Selling just 

170+ Fresh Crabs In Bucket Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images -  iStock

• Haha 3

From what I gathered while catching up with the last few pages, if it's the hospitality trade, it's "survival of the fittest", yet Tesco taking over Shoprite "shouldn't be allowed to happen" and all that. As I said before, no point getting worked up over it all, let's see what happens over the course of the next few months.

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

If Shoprite had operated to an effective business model, kept their stores clean, their stock kept up to date, and made shopping there a pleasant experience, then it would have been a lot more busy and we would have availed ourselves of the Manx products. They didn't, and we didn't.

Market forces.

Even you , now, calling it 'Shopshite' says all anyone needs to know.

On a personal level, I only ever went here to buy Manx, I didn't touch anything else.  

I think Shoprite are happy enough operating in Scotland where they are very popular

26 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

The local population bought x produce.

Without shoprite they will still continue to buy x produce. They'll just buy it from a different supplier. That different supplier will continue to generate tax money. If local suppliers want to sell and don't meet whatever rules Tesco have, provided their produce represents value for money, then they can find alternative ways of bringing it to the market. Bry Rad and his veg in Ramsey and Kermellys also in Ramsey are both good examples.

Just realised that both examples are in Ramsey, however that's no great surprise as it is the centre of the known world.

Anyways, I heard that there's only one local deal it wants to secure, the Ramsey Commissioners biscuit supply contract! 🤣

Ok, so some questions.

Shoprite use Manx IT suppliers and lawyers.  They buy all their vehicles locally.  Do you think Tesco will do the same and is there no economic impact to the island.

Tesco will more than like now negotiate a better deal with the steam packet, leading to reduced profits for them.  That has an impact on all of us.

At least 60 local jobs are gone directly, never mind suppliers.

All shoprite signage is made locally and changes a lot.  That will all now be shipped in.

Manx Radio and 3fm would likely list shoprite in their top 3 clients.  That is lost revenue for them, oh, and the staff who did shoprite marketing are gone and Tesco won’t need to spend anything.

People are so short sighted and it is so frustrating 

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 1