Firm closing

finlo

26 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Ok, so some questions.

Shoprite use Manx IT suppliers and lawyers.  They buy all their vehicles locally.  Do you think Tesco will do the same and is there no economic impact to the island.

Tesco will more than like now negotiate a better deal with the steam packet, leading to reduced profits for them.  That has an impact on all of us.

At least 60 local jobs are gone directly, never mind suppliers.

All shoprite signage is made locally and changes a lot.  That will all now be shipped in.

Manx Radio and 3fm would likely list shoprite in their top 3 clients.  That is lost revenue for them, oh, and the staff who did shoprite marketing are gone and Tesco won’t need to spend anything.

People are so short sighted and it is so frustrating 

Shouldn't your gripe be against Shoprite for 'selling out' rather than people who think it may be a good thing? 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Shouldn't your gripe be against Shoprite for 'selling out' rather than people who think it may be a good thing? 

Who said I had a gripe.  I just think it’s a bad thing for the island but business is business.

I don’t believe all those celebrating truly understand the long term implications though.

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

Who said I had a gripe.  

Says the poster who's just spent the last few pages moaning about it. On repeat. As per.

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I just think it’s a bad thing for the island

Really?

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I don’t believe all those celebrating truly understand the long term implications though.

You should have said.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, majkul said:

From what I gathered while catching up with the last few pages, if it's the hospitality trade, it's "survival of the fittest", yet Tesco taking over Shoprite "shouldn't be allowed to happen" and all that. As I said before, no point getting worked up over it all, let's see what happens over the course of the next few months.

Exactly. All of that.

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Who said I had a gripe.  I just think it’s a bad thing for the island but business is business.

Do you think Shoprite would just continue indefinitely?  

I do feel very sorry for the staff, particularly those 'back-office' as those functions will, in the main, be eventually absorbed into the existing Tesco management structure, I guess. 

The shop staff may be more secure, and for them, it may actually be a good thing with more opportunities.

Manx suppliers whose products are sold through Shoprite are in a difficult situation, but that is not to say impossible.  With every threat comes opportunity, as they say. Who knows if the basis of their deal with Shoprite won't be replicated by Tesco. 

As for the other suppliers you list, it may hit them hard potentially.  But again, there may be opportunities for them but business is not a static thing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

If Shoprite had operated to an effective business model, kept their stores clean, their stock kept up to date, and made shopping there a pleasant experience, then it would have been a lot more busy and we would have availed ourselves of the Manx products. They didn't, and we didn't.

Market forces.

Even you , now, calling it 'Shopshite' says all anyone needs to know.

On a personal level, I only ever went here to buy Manx, I didn't touch anything else.  

I don't disagree, it was a rhetorical point that I was making. We don't  o specifically for Manx Products but we buy them when we can. I agree it isn't a great retail experience going to Shoprite. All the fish seems to go out of date within hours and the veg is all over the place. Tesco is better generally across the board.

I was trying to say that I am hearing people moaning about this takeover meaning the end of Manx products. Many of these people are the ones with Arla foods milk, English potatoes and Irish Beef steaks in their trolleys coming out of Tesco

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 1:22 PM, HiVibes said:

How am I wrong? I like many my age already buy groceries online, why would I want to trudge round a shop which may or may not have stock of the items I want?

You said that you buy online but get fresh items from shops. I said is that the future is in small shops, not large. 
Two things about shopping online. One, many retailers do in stores deals that are not available online. Two, if you “trudge round” the shop, it allows you to do comparisons and get better value and fresher produce. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I was trying to say that I am hearing people moaning about this takeover meaning the end of Manx products. Many of these people are the ones with Arla foods milk, English potatoes and Irish Beef steaks in their trolleys coming out of Tesco

...and all of them don't actually know what the outcome will be. As always, none of us are in full possession of the facts and they are making assumptions, then complaining about those assumptions!

• Thanks 2