Firm closing

finlo

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

Are Manx growers to be forced to sell to Laxey Glen Mills at a special low price, or will they ship to England to achieve world prices?

Is there a system in place for exporting whole grain?

Would the cost of exporting negate the advantage of 'Market Price'?

Manx wheat is in the ground now, I would support Govt intervention to get that grain to Laxey Mills for this harvest. If then Laxey have to export at a loss that has, at least, kept the farmers and Laxey going till september.

What then? Well that's the next debate after the current?

Should a new Mill be put in place to deal with smaller quantities? Why?  Carry on with the existing Mill and accept that throughput will be smaller? It may be that the Mill is underutilised in the short time but what of th future???

I believe that Manx flour is available in Harrods,,  that could be a market to be pursued from a reduced local use in bread making???

2 hours ago, Hoops said:

ould be ensuring the farmers have a market for their produce for the foreseeable future, so you would hope

We don't have to guarantee a 'future' , just this harvest. Then it is up to the farmers to find an alternative crop to replace their wheat crop?

I*t may be spuds n Herrin' but what would be wrong with that? A local need, a market supplied . Win?

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

We don't have to guarantee a 'future' , just this harvest. Then it is up to the farmers to find an alternative crop to replace their wheat crop?

I*t may be spuds n Herrin' but what would be wrong with that? A local need, a market supplied . Win?

It's my belief that, in what appears to be an increasingly unstable world with a growing population all making the same demands on resources, that we should be as self-sufficient as possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

Is there a system in place for exporting whole grain?

Would the cost of exporting negate the advantage of 'Market Price'?

Manx wheat is in the ground now, I would support Govt intervention to get that grain to Laxey Mills for this harvest. If then Laxey have to export at a loss that has, at least, kept the farmers and Laxey going till september.

What then? Well that's the next debate after the current?

Should a new Mill be put in place to deal with smaller quantities? Why?  Carry on with the existing Mill and accept that throughput will be smaller? It may be that the Mill is underutilised in the short time but what of th future???

I believe that Manx flour is available in Harrods,,  that could be a market to be pursued from a reduced local use in bread making???

How much exporting at a loss, subsidised by the taxpayer, can we sustain, it seems everything that farmers produce is a loss maker and  subsidised, meat,dairy and grain, even the plant to process them are loss makers and subsidised, how much can you expect the public to pay for the privilage of keeping loss making farmers with an income?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Another empty shop for Strand Street is coming I noticed today, not worth going down town these days just coffee shops and charity shops.

With the rents & rates in that area it needs to be something busy to justify opening so coffee shops, chemists, hairdressers, charities etc. convert some to residential.

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

With the rents & rates in that area it needs to be something busy to justify opening so coffee shops, chemists, hairdressers, charities etc. convert some to residential.

I can't quite imagine your lounge looking out into Strand street!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WTF said:

farmers haven't got to grow grain, they can grow other stuff, carrots perhaps, something you can eat raw as people won't be able to afford to cook the way energy prices are going.

Poor weather and small farms means that local farmers can't compete with economies of scale elsewhere. It's far cheaper to farm in large commercial enterprises, which means they can out-compete even the local producers - when things get genuinely tough, loyalty to IOM producers will disappear in favour of lower prices.