Firm closing

finlo

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I was offered that this very morning but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. :)

With milk or black? Somehow I think milk to make it more bread like but that doesn't even make any sense.

Anyway, I"m going back to the same place tomorrow. I might give it a go. 

Little bit of milk yeah. No sugar though, people who put sugar in tea are sickos.

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Not a firm closing, but a reminder that when the general public behave like dicks it has a big impact on local firms.

Dont be a dick.

🔔UPDATE TO BOOKING DEPOSIT POLICY🔔

We are really disappointed to have to write this post, but unfortunately, it is something we need to talk about. 

On Sunday 8th October, we had 22 no shows / last minute cancellations across our Sunday day time service. We have been stung by no shows and last minute cancellations before, but never this badly. 

As standard, stock we order in and staff rota’d on are based on our bookings. We lost a lot of money on Sunday, and to put it simply, this is not sustainable for us. Therefore, we have decided to update our booking deposit policy. 

Tables of eight guests or more will be required to pay a £10per person non refundable deposit upon booking. 

We implore the public to please call restaurants if you are unable to attend your booking with as much notice as you can give. We appreciate that sometimes something urgent might come up where you can’t attend your booking, but it’s always very helpful to us if you let us know you’re unable to make it. It might give us enough time to amend our orders, or send staff home early. In a time where local hospitality businesses are struggling, a small gesture like this goes a long way. 

We hope everyone understands why we have made this decision, and continues to support our business. 

Have a great weekend all,

The Boathouse Team💙

that's just rude , the no shows i mean,  from memory i have been a no show once ( we totally forgot we had booked ) so i went in the following day to apologise and offer some compensation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Look at the regular 5-10% of no show doctor and hospital appointments...and apply that to a +£200m budget and extrapolate it to an ever building waiting list.

People need fining if they have no reasonable excuse...or need to go down 3 snakes to the bottom of the waiting list.

When l attended my GP surgery recently, l was surprised to see that over 120 appointments had been missed by patients.  l had to wait 5 weeks for my appointment.   I think it's perfectly acceptable to fine offenders for missed appointments unless a valid reason is given.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It would be perfect if I had any! I will need to get a box of one of their teas though, very soon with it coming into autumn. There's one that just works. I have other quality teas available mind.

I also have a box of that very weird jam on toast tea from Yorkshire. Its very weird. And compelling. And moreish. And weird.

The Whittards mulled wine ,powdered instant tea ,i loved during the winter months, however, its effects were like i had just drunk a glass of Nitromors paint stripper, the mulled wine tea bags however, taste great ,and no heart burn.Im a sucker for these fruit / green tea bags, in trendy shops etc,which mostly taste like placing a well used 2p  coin in your mouth ,thats been in the Rovers Return urinals for a month and stay unused in the cupboard forever.

Edited by Ďouglas Peel
Senior moment
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

First were landed yesterday, though I think there were a few trials last season.

I just hope the one remaining kipper curer will take some  ,and I would like to think  fishing for them does not turn into  an expensive exercise  it would be sad to see them being dumped or  almost given away  there cant be many locals that would put them down in a crock   or even make roll mops which are an aquired taste and not for the faint hearted 

the landed herring looked quite small ? I will try to buy some at the weekend 

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 10:45 PM, Ringy Rose said:

Laxey Flour isn’t pumped full of the additives and chemicals that are mandatory across, so there is that.

I’d not say the local flour was a rip off.

I wonder if the lack of chemicals and additives affects how it rises? Not that I’ve ever had an issue, but I knead by hand. Great stress relief.

They call them "Flour improvers" over here, it's lack of rise is due to our growing enviroment, we are not best suited for wheat , so, "improvers" are needed, this far north is heading toward  best for barley/ oats,.

Edited by mollag
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WTF said:

that's just rude , the no shows i mean,  from memory i have been a no show once ( we totally forgot we had booked ) so i went in the following day to apologise and offer some compensation.

How do you forget you had booked in a day and age where everyone has a sophisticated electronic calendar in their pocket?

It’s not rude to suggest that people who don’t show up and don’t notify the businesses that they aren’t coming are dicks.  It’s certainly not as rude as booking a table and lettering a business order food in on your behalf and turn away other customers and then not bothering your arse to show up!

These/you are the same people who would be kicking off if they did turn up and the business had made an error and overbooked.

Edited by CrazyDave

9 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

How do you forget you had booked in a day and age where everyone has a sophisticated electronic calendar in their pocket?

It’s not rude to suggest that people who don’t show up and don’t notify the businesses that they aren’t coming are dicks.  It’s certainly not as rude as booking a table and lettering a business order food in on your behalf and turn away other customers and then not bothering your arse to show up!

These/you are the same people who would be kicking off if they did turn up and the business had made an error and overbooked.

WTF was referring to the no shows being rude. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

So was closing the smokehouse in Peel a little premature?: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-67088617

The problem I have with catching perfectly consumable herring and using it for bait is not really ethical, if the herring were being processed and used as a food product for human consumption then perhaps it may be newsworthy, not really a roaring success if that is the best use of the herring IMO.

5 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

The problem I have with catching perfectly consumable herring and using it for bait is not really ethical, if the herring were being processed and used as a food product for human consumption then perhaps it may be newsworthy, not really a roaring success if that is the best use of the herring IMO.

Where does it say they will use the herring as bait.

Fresh herring is delicious, BTW. 

• Like 2