Firm closing

finlo

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I bet that put a smile on your face 🙂

It did. For some reason, getting a steak as one likes it prepared seems like a hard task on this Island. But then again I don't dine out much any more these days.

• Like 1

Steak is just honestly something I'd rarely order when I'm out.

If I go to a steak house obviously, but other than that I just don't often see it as value for money. It's literally the easiest thing to cook at home. 

I don't know the quality of the Chris Franklin thing to be honest. I can see the market he was aiming at and I think that was always going to be a hard sell in Peel. That's not me slagging off the Sunset City, simply that I think it would have had a better chance in Douglas, with more people. It was clear though that there was a lot of focus on the road closures by the owner, with stories appearing in the media. When extenuating factors like that are front and centre, then a business is generally in trouble. Not sure how long the roadworks started after the venture begun, but was it a surprise or a case of homework not being done?

It was always going to be a struggle as Filbeys decided to throw in their lot and this was almost an even higher bar to aim for, the fine dining market. I have no idea whether Filbeys just decided they'd had enough or if it wasn't working for them. Regardless it should have been a warning sign.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Steak is just honestly something I'd rarely order when I'm out.

If I go to a steak house obviously, but other than that I just don't often see it as value for money. It's literally the easiest thing to cook at home. 

I don't know the quality of the Chris Franklin thing to be honest. I can see the market he was aiming at and I think that was always going to be a hard sell in Peel. That's not me slagging off the Sunset City, simply that I think it would have had a better chance in Douglas, with more people. It was clear though that there was a lot of focus on the road closures by the owner, with stories appearing in the media. When extenuating factors like that are front and centre, then a business is generally in trouble. Not sure how long the roadworks started after the venture begun, but was it a surprise or a case of homework not being done?

It was always going to be a struggle as Filbeys decided to throw in their lot and this was almost an even higher bar to aim for, the fine dining market. I have no idea whether Filbeys just decided they'd had enough or if it wasn't working for them. Regardless it should have been a warning sign.

Agreed on the Steak.  Assuming you're a competent cook, you should also be able to nail it exactly how you prefer it cooked. 

I've had some dealings with Chris Franklin in the past.  He's a decent chef and his food has always been good.  He is however a challenging man to deal with on a personal and business point of view. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Agreed on the Steak.  Assuming you're a competent cook, you should also be able to nail it exactly how you prefer it cooked. 

I've had some dealings with Chris Franklin in the past.  He's a decent chef and his food has always been good.  He is however a challenging man to deal with on a personal and business point of view. 

As I said, don't know the man but you tend to have balanced opinion.

In that situation then, you do what you're good at and make sure the rest is dealt with by someone else. Whether that's by way of an employee or sub-contracted out completely, obviously depends on a number of factors. Not as easy for very small businesses admittedly, in the initial period anyway, where money is tight. 

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Literally?   I find beans on toast a tad easier. 😉

Edited by Jarndyce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

Literally?   I find beans on toast a tad easier. 😉

Try this!  Cannelloni beans coated with homemade tomato sauce are placed on thickly toasted ciabatta bread.  Put in the top of the oven after grating lashings of farmhouse extra mature cheddar until its all cheese melted. Yummy :).  l also sometimes add, as a secret ingredient, a fine dusting of sweet cinnamon to the toast, but only very occasionally 😄.

• Like 3