Firm closing

finlo

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Was in Dishoom Covent Garden a month ago. I find it pretentious. Food is good, but the inability to book evenings is, for me, a disincentive. I’ve been to several branches, including Manchester, where I got trapped, temporarily, after the accessible lift failed. 

Covent Garden suffers from staff being out of work actors who rush through their script at 100mph leaving me none the wiser.

The whole chain suffers from my beef about the lack of tie in  between the menu designers and lighting designers, with strange fonts, busy design, pastel type on coloured background, in low light.

Like Mowgli, on Bold St, Prefer Yukti on Renshaw Street.

I prefer the Mowgli/Yukti concept to that of Dishoom. Dishoom are huge and inauthentic design wise. However some of the dishes are brilliantly executed, and not seen anywhere else.

Each their own.  I think the Covent Garden one is specifically unbookable due to it's location and aimed clientele.  Nonetheless my contacts have been out for at about 6 years.  The other partners sold a big international business, used this money to force them out and then aggressively expanded.  

Gunpowder potatoes, bacon naan and their spiced mince pies are all brilliant.  They also did I think a 'Bombay Belini' which Mrs P thought was one of the best cocktails she'd ever had. 

10 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Each their own.  I think the Covent Garden one is specifically unbookable due to it's location and aimed clientele.  Nonetheless my contacts have been out for at about 6 years.  The other partners sold a big international business, used this money to force them out and then aggressively expanded.  

Gunpowder potatoes, bacon naan and their spiced mince pies are all brilliant.  They also did I think a 'Bombay Belini' which Mrs P thought was one of the best cocktails she'd ever had. 

Group policy is you can book breakfast/brunch, but not evenings ( unless you’re  a group of 6 or more ).

Totally agree with your menu choices. Add Pau Bhaji, Khichia & Chundo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

It's a saturated market and a Just Pizza n Pasta 'franchise' isn't going to get people flocking to your door over the competitors.

having eaten in  la piazza and just pizza and pasta at lunch times i can honestly say that just pizza and pasta has always been busier than la piazza  ,   the actual location of the businesses may play a part in that though.

Edited by WTF

Just now, WTF said:

having eaten in  la piazza and just pizza and pasta at much times i can honestly say that just pizza and pasta has always been busier than la piazza  ,   the actual location of the businesses may play a part in that though.

Was in La Piazza a few weeks ago with a friend as wouldn’t have been my choice. Last meal in there I had was bland. Promised myself wouldn’t go back. Sadly once again it wasn’t good with pasta not cooked properly and watery sauce. Not even close to JP and P and while the service there is always good as is the food , the service in La Piazza was very poor with disinterested staff who it seemed couldn’t wait to finish there shift. It was also quiet with only 5 tables with at most 12 customers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Was in La Piazza a few weeks ago with a friend as wouldn’t have been my choice. Last meal in there I had was bland. Promised myself wouldn’t go back. Sadly once again it wasn’t good with pasta not cooked properly and watery sauce. Not even close to JP and P and while the service there is always good as is the food , the service in La Piazza was very poor with disinterested staff who it seemed couldn’t wait to finish there shift. It was also quiet with only 5 tables with at most 12 customers.

i haven't been to la piazza for a while , just pizza and pasta is my go to now ,  consistently good food and service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mad_manx said:

I think one reason for the success of Just pizza ( in addition to very active owner involvement) is that margins are probably higher than say a restaurant serving steak for example.

That’s a valid point and he was smart from day one not having a massive menu with lots of choices. It’s simplicity done well with nice wines so in my book it’s perfect. Although I often wonder how he’d do with a meat or chicken special from time to time. I know the chef is more than capable of doing the normal range of dishes found in usual restaurants.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

That’s a valid point and he was smart from day one not having a massive menu with lots of choices. It’s simplicity done well with nice wines so in my book it’s perfect. Although I often wonder how he’d do with a meat or chicken special from time to time. I know the chef is more than capable of doing the normal range of dishes found in usual restaurants.  

Yes..simple menu..High margins and very active owner involvement .

I doubt if they will do meat / chicken  dishes . Carbs cheap and protein expensive is a basic fact which many forget .. Basic pizza is £10.90 and the ingredient cost is probably under a quid.  Compare this with a steakhouse trying  to serve steak for 20 odd quid .. margins will be way lower ..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WTF said:

having eaten in  la piazza and just pizza and pasta at lunch times i can honestly say that just pizza and pasta has always been busier than la piazza  ,   the actual location of the businesses may play a part in that though.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I thought I'd mentioned in other posts it may work on the Isle of Man but would be a waste of time in the UK. My point being here people won't be flocking to your door in the UK for the name, as they won't know it. 

3 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I thought I'd mentioned in other posts it may work on the Isle of Man but would be a waste of time in the UK. My point being here people won't be flocking to your door in the UK for the name, as they won't know it. 

This is like saying nothing new will ever work.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

This is like saying nothing new will ever work.

It's nothing like saying that. 

It's like saying buying a franchise is a waste of time. Anyone with some basic knowledge would be as well setting up their own, with it's own authentic identity, and would stand just as good a chance. The JP&P name means nothing in the UK. 

It should also be borne in mind that the owner doesn't have a track history in restaurants either. He's diligent and present though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It's nothing like saying that. 

It's like saying buying a franchise is a waste of time. Anyone with some basic knowledge would be as well setting up their own, with it's own authentic identity, and would stand just as good a chance. The JP&P name means nothing in the UK. 

It should also be borne in mind that the owner doesn't have a track history in restaurants either. He's diligent and present though.

You're saying there's no point entering a new market because no one has heard of your brand. It's a very odd position to take.

I doubt the franchise idea is one of global domination. There are loads of towns in England in that 40-100 thousand pop bracket, where a decent family restaurant will always do well. I could see it working, think a well put together proposal could easily appeal to the right people. Not being an existing one might well have less onerous terms.

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You're saying there's no point entering a new market because no one has heard of your brand. It's a very odd position to take.

I doubt the franchise idea is one of global domination. There are loads of towns in England in that 40-100 thousand pop bracket, where a decent family restaurant will always do well. I could see it working, think a well put together proposal could easily appeal to the right people. Not being an existing one might well have less onerous terms.

Usually the point of buying into a franchise is that it's a recongised name with a long established history behind it. That way you can hit the ground running. 

McDonalds the obvious one over here, KFC, Starbucks. 

JP&P has no track history and no name recognition. So what's he bringing to the table?

There are many places in the UK where such a business may work. It would work equally as well if you set up on your own as buying this particular franchise. Not sure what the cost of it is but I'm going to guess it won't be cheap. You'd be better pumping that into your premises and you'd be in a better position than you would with this franchise.