Firm closing

finlo

9 hours ago, x-in-man said:

I stopped going there after one TT when the prices had been put up for two weeks.

9 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Whilst I don’t agree with that there is issue of some places having to pay staff more over TT to attract additional staff into hospitality industry for the fortnight 

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Why didn't you just avoid those two weeks.

A lot of places do it with their TT 'Special' menus.  It's annoying but we just avoid those times. 

7 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Why not think of it as a locals’ discount for the other 50 weeks? 

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Now that's a glass half full approach.👍

It’s a standard and long standing practice in holiday resorts. 

Cannells always increased their set lunch price from practice week to end September, so did lots of the Chinese business men’s lunches.

I was brought up in Morecambe. Bus fares went up from 1st May to end of illuminations, same in Blackpool.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s a standard and long standing practice in holiday resorts. 

Cannells always increased their set lunch price from practice week to end September, so did lots of the Chinese business men’s lunches.

I was brought up in Morecambe. Bus fares went up from 1st May to end of illuminations, same in Blackpool.

Agreed.  I have no idea why someone would boycott a business for making hay when the sun shines?

If anything, it means they can keep the prices lower through the bleak months so that we, the locals, benefit year round.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Agreed.  I have no idea why someone would boycott a business for making hay when the sun shines?

If anything, it means they can keep the prices lower through the bleak months so that we, the locals, benefit year round.

Yes it’s dynamic pricing but it doesn’t sit well with me as a IOM resident that we fleece people who have already paid an inflated price  (again due to dynamic pricing from the IOMSPCo) to get here.

I don’t want our visitors to feel they are being ripped off.It’s not nice

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes it’s dynamic pricing but it doesn’t sit well with me as a IOM resident that we fleece people who have already paid an inflated price  (again due to dynamic pricing from the IOMSPCo) to get here.

I don’t want our visitors to feel they are being ripped off.It’s not nice

Fleece?  It’s supply and demand.  

If somewhere is full every night and you have people willing to pay more to get the food and a table and you have a half empty restaurant most of the rest of the year then you increase prices until such a point as you have empty tables again.

It’s very basic business studies stuff.

If they had the luxury of a big customer base all year then they wouldn’t have to do it, but they are on a wet and windy sea front on a small island.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Fleece?  It’s supply and demand.  

If somewhere is full every night and you have people willing to pay more to get the food and a table and you have a half empty restaurant most of the rest of the year then you increase prices until such a point as you have empty tables again.

It’s very basic business studies stuff.

Well duh!

Yes it is but there are other factors to consider, 

I have been, or was a regular customer  ( we’ll say visiting 10 times a year) of two particular restaurants. 

Always booked a table in advance but told that during TT this was not possible.
As a consequence I have not returned to those restaurants and they have lost revenue from me. ( and possibly others) .

So it’s not as simple as it seems.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well duh!

Yes it is but there are other factors to consider, 

I have been, or was a regular customer  ( we’ll say visiting 10 times a year) of two particular restaurants. 

Always booked a table in advance but told that during TT this was not possible.
As a consequence I have not returned to those restaurants and they have lost revenue from me. ( and possibly others) .

So it’s not as simple as it seems.

Then you clearly don’t understand how a business works.

If they didn’t maximise revenue by not taking bookings during TT and by raising  their prices then you wouldn’t have anywhere to even think about going during the rest of the year.

I doubt they will miss you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

Then you clearly don’t understand how a business works.

If they didn’t maximise revenue by not taking bookings during TT and by raising  their prices then you wouldn’t have anywhere to even think about going during the rest of the year.

I doubt they will miss you.

No you don’t understand. If I make a booking they are guaranteed the revenue from my spend  ( increased prices or not) rather than taking the risk my table may or may not be taken by someone else.

Plus it’s not good business sense to piss your regular customers off

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why wouldn’t a restaurant accept bookings during the TT period?

Because a table which they could make money from could be sat empty for 45 minutes because they can’t sit anyone at it due to someone else having it booked at 7:30.

It’s not complicated.  People during TT are happy to turn up and wait.  A table with no booking could be turned over 10 times in a 12 hour service.  A table with bookings would be sat empty for a couple of hours.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No you don’t understand. If I make a booking they are guaranteed the revenue from my spend  ( increased prices or not) rather than taking the risk my table may or may not be taken by someone else.

Plus it’s not good business sense to piss your regular customers off

They dont piss off regular customers who understand why they are doing it.

if you think your guaranteed revenue which might mean a table sitting empty for half an hour during a time when they have customers queuing out the door is attractive to them, then it is you that doesn’t understand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Chief Minister said in Tynwald he was as hopeful that the people who have lost jobs elsewhere, however 3FM ‘s headline is Chief Minister is confident that people losing their jobs at Shoprite will find jobs elsewhere.    Not the same thing at all and far worse than sloppy reporting being hopeful and being confident are poles apart. It is about time this inaccurate reporting was challenged if I was Alfie I would pull them on this.  The fact that he said hopeful in Tynwald is reported in the ensuing article it beggars belief.

I have no problem with restaurants I go to suspending bookings during peak times…TT etc. I do have a problem though with prices being increased for that duration. Luckily the ones I Infrequent don’t do this so am more than happy to keep supporting them and waiting ,what usually is only a short time. .

Edited by Numbnuts

11 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Because a table which they could make money from could be sat empty for 45 minutes because they can’t sit anyone at it due to someone else having it booked at 7:30.

It’s not complicated.  People during TT are happy to turn up and wait.  A table with no booking could be turned over 10 times in a 12 hour service.  A table with bookings would be sat empty for a couple of hours.

In which case the restaurant could say “ we have a table free for a couple of hours after which we would need you to leave for a reservation “ Certainly no problem if you believe a table could be turned over 10 times in a 12 hour service!

Its not rocket science.

I have been turned away from restaurants as a walk in because all the tables have been fully booked for the night ( not in TT week) I fully understood that  those taking the trouble to reserve should have priority. 

• Sad 1