Firm closing

finlo

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Surely it would be a simple task, and massively in their own interests, to have opening times shown on the door which bear at least a passing similarity to the actual opening times.

It’s not just the terrible videos. The guy himself is incredibly irritating he’d be better focussing on just being open when you expect someone being open and not applying his unique brand of customer services with people. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jackwhite said:

eriously though, people with negative comments because they don't like the guys videos? Here's an idea, don't watch them!

The fact you're that bothered by them shows they're doing their job, getting noticed!

It would be easier not to watch them if they kept them to their own page and didn’t spam all the local groups.

As for getting noticed they are indeed. As a result I vowed never to go to Glen Helen when he was there, Bordellos when he was there or Bathurst Street now he is there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It’s not just the terrible videos. The guy himself is incredibly irritating he’d be better focussing on just being open when you expect someone being open and not applying his unique brand of customer services with people. 

He still has a following and appeals to some people. You're never going to appeal to everyone so stick to what you know. 

Their videos are doing the job as they're getting people in because of them. That's despite the fact you find them irritating. A small sub-section of people seem to love them and that's who he's focusing on. That's the way it should be.

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It would be easier not to watch them if they kept them to their own page and didn’t spam all the local groups.

As for getting noticed they are indeed. As a result I vowed never to go to Glen Helen when he was there, Bordellos when he was there or Bathurst Street now he is there.

Same comments apply as above for this post. 

I understand what you're saying but I honestly find it odd that people won't visit a place because the personality of the person running it is not their cup of tea. Unless they've done something heinous/criminal or other such like. I'm sure you'd class his videos as that!

They're decent people trying to make a living and apparently have been receiving hate comments from people who've never even been there. I'm not talking about people on this forum, although it is probably worth being mindful of, but some people really need to get a life of their own and then they wouldn't have time to comment, post or whatever else about a business that they haven't actually visited.

@Happier diner I don't disagree but I do know how tough it can be for small business owners. Something comes up and they have to dash off somewhere but remember to update the socials, Google and Facebook opening hours etc. I agree it's annoying when you get there and face the closed sign though, having been in that position myself a number of times here. 

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Same comments apply as above for this post. 

I understand what you're saying but I honestly find it odd that people won't visit a place because the personality of the person running it is not their cup of tea. ,

Really? That’s generally my main criteria. I didn’t go to Costa for years as the guy who owns it is an absolute cock and I didn’t want to risk bumping into him. The guy at Bathurst comes across as an irritating nosy twat so I wouldn’t go back in on that basis either. I stopped going to the Archie Knox until the absolute cock-womble of a manager they had there left. I’d have thought most people don’t elect to spend money with businesses that they think are run by tossers. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Really? That’s generally my main criteria. I didn’t go to Costa for years as the guy who owns it is an absolute cock and I didn’t want to risk bumping into him. The guy at Bathurst comes across as an irritating nosy twat so I wouldn’t go back in on that basis either. I stopped going to the Archie Knox until the absolute cock-womble of a manager they had there left. I’d have thought most people don’t elect to spend money with businesses that they think are run by tossers. 

Ah, but what if the tosser creates really good product? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I tend to base the businesses I spend in on the quality of the experience I get there. 

The two can go hand in hand. If the person running the business is obnoxious and they are there, there is a chance this will impact on you. 

However I can think of a number of businesses on the Isle of Man where the owner is the type of person I'd rather not be involved with. However it didn't stop me going there at a push. You mention Costa, which is a good example. 

There isn't one single person that absolutely everyone will like. Especially here. It doesn't stop the businesses doing well or at least surviving. It's widely known in marketing that you then do your best to appeal to the 10% of people who love what you offer, rather than try to appeal to everyone. 

From previous comments, the way you come across to me is that you like to circle in an echo chamber. People who think like you do. The owner of Bathurst, and again this is only me judging from your online persona, would appear the complete opposite of that. So I get why you don't like him. I still don't get that you wouldn't go there because of it, but it's entirely your choice of course and everyone should respect that. 

However there are a number of people who really like him or that he resonates with and he is doing the right thing by playing to that audience and not worrying what others think. 

6 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

So do I

As I understand it the guy serves in there

He does. 

He takes the orders and generally brings the food. I can't fault his actual 'service' regardless of his personality.

I don't mind him at all, that said.

Is he OTT? Yes. Do I mind it? No.

My opinion on the business is you get what you're expecting. Yes, I agree on the opening hours. That's something they should resolve. It's not terribly dis-similar to the likes of the Terrace or Port Jack in price and the food tends to be a little better and more options. It's probably somewhere I'd frequent more in the right personal circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Ah, but what if the tosser creates really good product? 

The trick is generally them not being there. Costa is a great example. I will go in there now as the irksome little buffoon who owns the place now generally leaves it to his staff to run as I believe he’s largely left the Island. Whereas 6 years or so ago you could almost be guaranteed that he would be in there just generally being a toxic asshole destroying any sort of customer experience that might otherwise exist. In Bathurst I just find the guy unbelievably nosy and irritating and that is the customer experience provided directly by the owner. Whereas I can go to the Terrace and get just as good food with a customer experience I prefer. 

• Like 1