Firm closing

finlo

6 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

The trick is generally them not being there. Costa is a great example. I will go in there now as the irksome little buffoon who owns the place now generally leaves it to his staff to run as I believe he’s largely left the Island. Whereas 6 years or so ago you could almost be guaranteed that he would be in there just generally being a toxic asshole destroying any sort of customer experience that might otherwise exist. In Bathurst I just find the guy unbelievably nosy and irritating and that is the customer experience provided directly by the owner. Whereas I can go to the Terrace and get just as good food with a customer experience I prefer. 

Where is the good food on the terrace?

34 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

The chippy I'd imagine. 

Not to your tastes?

Reverse of topic, but Cafe Rosa opening up again for takeaway a week on Friday. Mines is ordered already 🤣

As it self proclaimed aficionados of fish and chips, I have to say, the chippy is on the wrong side of just about mediocre.

Can't understand why Ramsey is blessed with the finest with Peel just behind. 

Douglas is bottom of the pile IMO

• Like 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

As it self proclaimed aficionados of fish and chips, I have to say, the chippy is on the wrong side of just about mediocre.

Can't say I agree but each to their own. 

Which ones in Ramsey or Peel or any one? Been a long time since I've had fish and chips in either.

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Port Erin is very good. Their spicy curry sauce is smashing 

8 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

My Grandfather (Henry) had the chippy down Falcon Street back in the 60’s. Twice cooked chips and all wrapped in newspaper. He was very successful. He also had a part time job as the doorman at the Regal cinema. Them were the days. 

I remember Henry.  He had two chippies  one in Falcon Street and another round the corner that was just open during the summer.  He used to give me a free potato  scallop while I waited for the order to be cooked and wrapped and would pretend to pick his nose with a missing finger.  His wife was also just as nice.  Glad to have been reminded. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I remember Henry.  He had two chippies  one in Falcon Street and another round the corner that was just open during the summer.  He used to give me a free potato  scallop while I waited for the order to be cooked and wrapped and would pretend to pick his nose with a missing finger.  His wife was also just as nice.  Glad to have been reminded. 

Emily ran the other. Yes, the missing finger hahah. He used to tease me with that too. Anyhow, chips cooked in beef dripping. Blanched in the afternoon ready for the evening rush. What’s not to love. Thanks for remembering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, finlo said:

What was the chippy called on the street that cuts between the Bowling green and Bathurst Street?

I think so.  The one opposite the Bowler was seasonal, the other one was all year round. May have got the street names wrong, but that is what I remember.  The one opposite the Bowler became a Chinese take away. 

1 minute ago, cheesypeas said:

Emily ran the other. Yes, the missing finger hahah. He used to tease me with that too. Anyhow, chips cooked in beef dripping. Blanched in the afternoon ready for the evening rush. What’s not to love. Thanks for remembering.

No, thanks for dredging up a memory for me. :flowers:

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Port St Mary is blessed.  The second best chippy on the island.