Firm closing

finlo

7 hours ago, Banker said:

Never actually went in the shop & don’t know many who did other than for sports trophies engraved. Probably own building so more money in selling that 

I went in quite a lot years ago when heavily involved in sport for like you mention sports trophy’s . But have always used them for watch straps and the likes but they were a limited market in goods and services. Always good service mind. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I have but I guess it’s hardly worth keeping the shop open paying staff at least minimum wage with the electricity burning for 7 hours a day to mine the measly footfall in Strand Street / Castle Street. There’s nothing in there you can’t buy online and most of the parking in town has now been removed so mail order is less hassle anyway. It’s a shame after 188 years though but I imagine it probably costs more to stay open than just shutting up shop - the story says that he’ll do the engraving from a separate site (probably home so minimal overheads).

I don't get why people really think parking is a problem. 

They are very close to Chester Street and it would take minutes to walk there from it. 

There's also plenty of car parks in town.

People seem to say parking is an issue as they can't park right next to where they want to go or if it's going to cost them money. Someone was going on about Radcliffes yesterday but there's plenty of parking nearby.

In this particular instance it seems it's a business with the owners near retirement age, children not interested in taking it over and it being a bit of an outdated business model.

Footfall in Castle Street is up around 16% in the last few years and higher in Strand Street. Those figures from someone at Business IOM from when I was discussing something with them. You'll probably say it wasn't that high to begin with but it is increasing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The same people that cry foul about parking in the Isle of Man are the same people that seem to be more than capable for carrying a dozen Primark Bags back from Liverpool on foot. 

At the end of the day if you want the product, you make an effort to get it. You can't expect people to keep running businesses if they don't think that the return warrants their input. I know of one local hospitality provider that is regularly considering if they should go back on the tools in Dandaraland for a regular income. Almost certainly not the last businesses to call it a day before the year end. 

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Footfall in Castle Street is up around 16% in the last few years and higher in Strand Street. Those figures from someone at Business IOM from when I was discussing something with them. You'll probably say it wasn't that high to begin with but it is increasing.

Where’s a link to those numbers you just made up? As it doesn’t correlate to the last survey I read. 

5 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Where’s a link to those numbers you just made up? As it doesn’t correlate to the last survey I read. 

Made up?🙄 Dearie me

They're the latest ones being trotted out by Business Isle of Man in their latest series of workshops. 

I'm sure if you drop them an email they'll verify them for you.

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

They're the latest ones being trotted out by Business Isle of Man in their latest series of workshops. 

I'm sure if you drop them an email they'll verify them for you.

The last one I saw was commissioned by a large retail group about 3 years ago who didn’t believe the official stats quoted. Which basically showed Castle Street as largely dead. Not sure I’d believe a report commissioned by government anyway as no doubt it will be written to make it look like it’s all such a success. 

1 minute ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

The last one I saw was commissioned by a large retail group about 3 years ago who didn’t believe the official stats quoted. Which basically showed Castle Street as largely dead. Not sure I’d believe a report commissioned by government anyway as no doubt it will be written to make it look like it’s all such a success. 

It wasn't a report commissioned by the Government. 

They have invested in cameras in the area tracking the footfall that have been in place for a while. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It wasn't a report commissioned by the Government. 

They have invested in cameras in the area tracking the footfall that have been in place for a while. 

It will be the report commissioned by Douglas Development Partnership so that DDP don’t look like a load of useless dicks. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

Just now, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It will be the report commissioned by Douglas Development Partnership so that DDP don’t look like a load of useless dicks. 

So the information taken from their camera system specifically designed for the purpose is a report commissioned by the DDP?

Or a previous report you're referring to?

It's not clear from what you've posted.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

So the information taken from their camera system specifically designed for the purpose is a report commissioned by the DDP?

Or a previous report you're referring to?

It's not clear from what you've posted.

It’s hard to troll when you’re confused isn’t it? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It’s hard to troll when you’re confused isn’t it? 

None of that makes any sense whatsoever. 

If someone engages in debate with you, and you end up appearing to not know what you're talking about, you claim they're trolling you. Second time in about 3 days you've done this.

Then you seem to live in some sort of echo chamber where only talk to people who agree with your opinions, spout nonsense as if your opinion is that of most and can't actually back it up with anything.

Also your quote yesterday about how you would give someone a piece of your mind the other day because they don't agree with you. Regardless I actually agreed with your opinion in this case, if that's what you do then I'm not surprised no one engages in debate. They probably actively avoid doing so. I'm also fairly certain you don't actually do this as you sound like a bit of a keyboard warrior.

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

None of that makes any sense whatsoever. 

Rinse and repeat. How many cycles now? This time you’re a made up retail expert who gets angry when you’re challenged on something you have made up. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1