Firm closing

finlo

10 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Rinse and repeat. How many cycles now? This time you’re a made up retail expert who gets angry when you’re challenged on something you have made up. 

No one is angry.

We're here to debate things.

You aren't capable of that so I don't actually know what you're doing here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Made up?🙄 Dearie me

They're the latest ones being trotted out by Business Isle of Man in their latest series of workshops. 

I'm sure if you drop them an email they'll verify them for you.

I'd agree with you on the uptick anyway.  Up until a couple of years ago there were very few useful stores up that way, but that seems to have changed recently.  Probably thanks to the Noodle place and Gourmet shakes moreso than anywhere else to be honest. 

10 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

You aren't capable of that so I don't actually know what you're doing here. 

You certainly aren’t capable of that. You must get an annual Xmas letter from Alf Cannan thanking you so much for everything you’ve contributed to in the IOM. You’ve kept the entire retail economy afloat single handedly to listen to you, you must be due a medal by now if you carry on. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'd agree with you on the uptick anyway.  Up until a couple of years ago there were very few useful stores up that way, but that seems to have changed recently.  Probably thanks to the Noodle place and Gourmet shakes moreso than anywhere else to be honest. 

Henderson & Glass and orange Indya too. 

Can only imagine it will get higher with Frank Matchams and other businesses opening. 

It’s just a shame there’s then a bit a gap down to the likes of Victoria street with not a lot between night life wise. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It’s just a shame there’s then a bit a gap down to the likes of Victoria street with not a lot between night life wise. 

Long gone are the days of a drunken stagger quest from the Douglas CBD, through Strand Street and along the prom.

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

It wasn't a report commissioned by the Government. 

They have invested in cameras in the area tracking the footfall that have been in place for a while. 

It depends how you measure footfall though.  If it's just people passing through that can be affected by traffic measures, changes in parking availability or developments outside the target area.

That said there does seem to be a bit of an increase in business in the area, though from a very low base.  Which was usually the case as Castle Street was always the home of more marginal/seasonal businesses than the main run of Strand Street and attempts to change this, such as Tower House, have never really taken off.  But lower rents may be attractive to hospitality businesses and the rhetoric around the 'Cultural Quarter' will mean that these will be more acceptable to planners etc.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, jackwhite said:

I don't get why people really think parking is a problem. 

They are very close to Chester Street and it would take minutes to walk there from it. 

There's also plenty of car parks in town.

People seem to say parking is an issue as they can't park right next to where they want to go or if it's going to cost them money. Someone was going on about Radcliffes yesterday but there's plenty of parking nearby.

In this particular instance it seems it's a business with the owners near retirement age, children not interested in taking it over and it being a bit of an outdated business model.

Footfall in Castle Street is up around 16% in the last few years and higher in Strand Street. Those figures from someone at Business IOM from when I was discussing something with them. You'll probably say it wasn't that high to begin with but it is increasing.

What you have to factor in Jack is that your average Manxie will not be happy unless they can get parked on Douglas Prom at the end of Regent St no more than 3 parking bays away from the old pelican or now the Zebra.

They expect these parking places to always be free and should be available whenever they decide to take a big risk and travel all the way Up South or whatever, to Douglas.

They are a special type of moron, you can sit near that spot and watch them driving up and down the prom for hours until they get fed up and go back to their home, then come on here moaning there are no parking spaces in Douglas because of DOI/ DBC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

What you have to factor in Jack is that your average Manxie will not be happy unless they can get parked on Douglas Prom at the end of Regent St no more than 3 parking bays away from the old pelican or now the Zebra.

They expect these parking places to always be free and should be available whenever they decide to take a big risk and travel all the way Up South or whatever, to Douglas.

They are a special type of moron, you can sit near that spot and watch them driving up and down the prom for hours until they get fed up and go back to their home, then come on here moaning there are no parking spaces in Douglas because of DOI/ DBC

It's very true. Douglas is one of the most parking friendly towns....I mean cities...I have ever frequented. It's blessed with a considerable number of parking options. 

Parking is not a reason for firms closing. No way. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Radcliffe closing in Castletown, no parking in the square and incomes Tesco must be part of it.

He’s been threatening to close since at least 2017,  although I heard he’s been unwell recently so maybe that’s made him reevaluate. Does seem a strange decision to close before one of the busiest months of the year for meat sales so it’s an intriguing one.

Closing the deli a few years back was probably a bigger loss to Castletown as a retail footfall bringer than the butcher’s shop. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Radcliffe closing in Castletown, no parking in the square and incomes Tesco must be part of it.

Castletown has it about right on parking. In the summer the square adds a lot of community value that probably gets people spending in the George and Coffee Craft and maybe the Garrison with the big screens up. In the winter it probably makes sense having it as parking so people don’t get soaked parking nearer to the shops. Douglas though took out about 50 parking spaces on the prom due to the new stupid prom layout. There’s also at least one level in Chester St that’s government only parking. It’s worse than it’s been in ages and now they want the Bus Station ‘carpark’ cleared too. Plus unlike Castletown no big screens or any other obvious draws to encourage people to spend an hour or two relaxing having a pint or a coffee. 

It shouldn’t be too hard for government to work out that online is the biggest barrier to shopping local and many people prefer sitting online ordering stuff than driving into town and paying £5 to park to buy items that are more expensive than they could buy them online for anyway. It takes a lot of the spontaneity away from retail purchases. Douglas has to be the most anti shopping place in the IOM already and they now have even more gangs of traffic controllers going round screwing every last penny out of everyone. Douglas now is only a Mecca for some elderly disabled person with a blue disc who has the whole afternoon to waste getting a scone in the M&S restaurant. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

4 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It will be the report commissioned by Douglas Development Partnership so that DDP don’t look like a load of useless dicks. 

whereas you keep posting, confirming you are a useless dick. I realised a while ago you were hard of thinking but what part of Jack's posts keeps eluding you?

29 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Extensive research... it's a chip shop you balloon

I actually had fish and chips bought for me earlier from the chippy in the precinct and they were nice. Chips pretty normal and nice and lots and the fish and batter was very well cooked. Overall very nice and reckon the fish was nicer than anything I’ve had from my local chippy , Terrace chippy ..

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1