Firm closing

finlo

Some interesting pieces in the planning applications this morning.

Bushy's proposed development in Castletown has a number of objections from locals. Mainly around parking but other bits thrown in too. Obvious from the tone of some of them they just don't fancy it. Complaining about removal of a 'play area' even though it's not actually an official play area. Comments that the loudest things they hear during the day are children laughing as they play (very idyllic) but then that there are many lorries in the area already which cause disruption later on in the letter. Are these new noiseless lorries I haven't heard of?

There's also an application for a 'community space' for Living Hope at Finch Road in the old furniture store, adjoining the Coroners Office. 

The issue with planning applications, having had a look at the meaningful considerations, is that they actually have very little grounds for objection. It doesn't stop them being denied when those assessing simply don't fancy it, for whatever reason. 

Be interesting to see how both of these play out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

then that there are many lorries in the area already which cause disruption later on in the letter. Are these new noiseless lorries I haven't heard of?

There a big builders' merchants round the back.  Plenty of trucks and vans moving around big heavy loud stuff all day. 

Heard that Courthouse Club was re-opening this morning too. 

Just now, The Phantom said:

There a big builders' merchants round the back.  Plenty of trucks and vans moving around big heavy loud stuff all day. 

Heard that Courthouse Club was re-opening this morning too. 

... oh yeah, forgot about that 🤣

Saw them in and out of it last night. 

Not sure how far down the line with it but don't imagine the licensing will be easy for that, assuming they're selling alcohol. If they're hoping to be open soon I'd imagine they must be down the line with it. The venue itself will be fine I take it, given that it's been licensed before. It is more difficult though for late night venues like this and they'll need to have people with experience to get it through successfully. 

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Not sure how far down the line with [the Courthouse replacement] but don't imagine the licensing will be easy for that, assuming they're selling alcohol. If they're hoping to be open soon I'd imagine they must be down the line with it. The venue itself will be fine I take it, given that it's been licensed before. It is more difficult though for late night venues like this and they'll need to have people with experience to get it through successfully. 

A long way down the line according to Gef this morning.  There's videos and they're advertising for staff.  It's to be called Bench.

If they haven't sorted out the licencing expect the word 'ironic' to be massively overused.

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

I often wonder how the charity shops in Strand Street afford the rent and rates and heating etc.    I know they get all the merchandise free but they they still employ some people and the delivery vans have to be serviced and fuel is another expense.   

They usually get pretty cheap rents too. Landlords don't pay rates (or something similar) so can afford to give them it cheaper. I didn't know this myself until a couple of months ago, when I wondered the same thing out loud. 

56 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

A long way down the line according to Gef this morning.  There's videos and they're advertising for staff.  It's to be called Bench.

If they haven't sorted out the licencing expect the word 'ironic' to be massively overused.

Won't be the first or the last. I've known people say they're opening in a week or so, not having any clue how long the licensing or planning process actually takes. 

No idea who's involved in the project so nothing else to offer. 

6 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Some interesting pieces in the planning applications this morning.

Bushy's proposed development in Castletown has a number of objections from locals. Mainly around parking but other bits thrown in too. Obvious from the tone of some of them they just don't fancy it. Complaining about removal of a 'play area' even though it's not actually an official play area. Comments that the loudest things they hear during the day are children laughing as they play (very idyllic) but then that there are many lorries in the area already which cause disruption later on in the letter. Are these new noiseless lorries I haven't heard of?

There's also an application for a 'community space' for Living Hope at Finch Road in the old furniture store, adjoining the Coroners Office. 

The issue with planning applications, having had a look at the meaningful considerations, is that they actually have very little grounds for objection. It doesn't stop them being denied when those assessing simply don't fancy it, for whatever reason. 

Be interesting to see how both of these play out.

I had a look at the Bushys application, as you say, every objection thus far is from someone who was knowingly bought a workers cottage in the centre of the only remaining industrial section of the town. Fancy that.

Edited to add, I forgot about the excellent objection from the children's nursery, that can't see the irony that they set up in the middle of a busy garage and then complain about traffic.

Edited by fredtosser

On 11/3/2023 at 1:19 PM, Happier diner said:

Well today I went yet again to the New Bathurst st Diner for some fish and chips. It was closed again. Friday lunchtime FGS. I mean is actually open at all. The opening hours have been removed from the door. Google says it's open 12 till 2 today and Facebook is active .

Very strange. Won't be bothering my arse to try is again.

On a positive, our usual fallback (the terrace chippy) was called into action. I was pleasantly surprised. Nice white fish with a fresh taste. Crispy batter cooked to perfection and chips nice and crispy and not soggy and greasy. Every cloud has a crispy lining.👍

Just an update. I did bother my arse to try it again. Bit weird but have to say.

1. It was open which is good and definitely a positive. 

2. The fish and chips was really nice. 

Not your traditional fare but cooked fresh and tasty. 

9 hours ago, jackwhite said:

... oh yeah, forgot about that 🤣

Saw them in and out of it last night. 

Not sure how far down the line with it but don't imagine the licensing will be easy for that, assuming they're selling alcohol. If they're hoping to be open soon I'd imagine they must be down the line with it. The venue itself will be fine I take it, given that it's been licensed before. It is more difficult though for late night venues like this and they'll need to have people with experience to get it through successfully. 

I imagine that getting a meaningful licence would be key to the success of this? The police and their puppets on the licensing bench can't understand why people would want to frequent a dark club until four in the morning.   

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I imagine that getting a meaningful licence would be key to the success of this? The police and their puppets on the licensing bench can't understand why people would want to frequent a dark club until four in the morning.   

The people behind it have run a bar in Douglas with a fairly late license for years, so I can’t really see it being an issue.

8 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

I often wonder how the charity shops in Strand Street afford the rent and rates and heating etc.    I know they get all the merchandise free but they they still employ some people and the delivery vans have to be serviced and fuel is another expense.   

Charity shops ain't what they used to be in my youth when they sold stuff at rock bottom prices to raise money. They have become somewhat more “professional” ( for the want of a better word.)

So much so that they now only fulfill one side of what I always assumed was the equation, that being the raising of money for their particular charity, whilst pricing a lot of their donated material out of reach of those who need to be able to buy second hand stuff cheaply. 

Sign of the times I guess

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Just an update. I did bother my arse to try it again. Bit weird but have to say.

1. It was open which is good and definitely a positive. 

2. The fish and chips was really nice. 

Not your traditional fare but cooked fresh and tasty. 

i'm glad your perseverance paid off