Firm closing

finlo

8 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

I've edited my post. Ramsey isn't quite as vibrant as it was, but it hasn't been ruined like Castletown.

Ramsey built modern housing and people stayed in the town. Castletown built virtually none so people with families moved to Peel/Port Erin/elsewhere.

12 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

One of my first jobs was in Castletown. It was a very busy little town, full of independent traders and out of town visitors all year round. It had a great fish mongers, a good little butchers, a couple of little bakeries, a laundrette, a health food shop,  two record shops, two busy chemists and more. It was a really friendly, bustling place with lots of community spirit. I had to go there last week — to see an old friend. I left very upset. It has clearly been 'regenerated' by clowns who couldn't accept a Manx market town for what it was, and turned it into a ghost town. You can blame brexit, the war in Ukraine, the awful government in England or whatever, but this is really down to a terrible lack of sympathy from the commissioners for a traditional town that relies on passing trade.

You are talking about any town or village on the Island, Port St Mary was much the same business wise and has on street parking all the way through. Castletown shopping streets have been pedestrianised for decades, it's not exactly a new concept. If any organisation is responsible for destroying the independent retail network over the years, its Shoprite. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

After a delay that seems to have gone on for ever, shop fitting has started on the third milestone unit and the sign writing above the door for Vellika has gone up.

I've been waiting for it to open for ages ..I live in Douglas and used to go to Ramsey to eat over there.. But in my opinion though the food is still good, these days its not really worth going there just for that .

I still eat there if I'm in Ramsey for something else.

Douglas one will be nice .. When I asked the owner some time ago he did say that the menu would be a bit different from the main one .. Maybe he is doing dishes from both Chingans  and Vellikas ?? 

44 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I've been waiting for it to open for ages ..I live in Douglas and used to go to Ramsey to eat over there.. But in my opinion though the food is still good, these days its not really worth going there just for that .

I still eat there if I'm in Ramsey for something else.

Douglas one will be nice .. When I asked the owner some time ago he did say that the menu would be a bit different from the main one .. Maybe he is doing dishes from both Chingans  and Vellikas ?? 

I'm going to imagine it's vastly different if it's fast food.

There are a number of these types of operation in the UK from reasonably sized chains. It's far from what you'd get served in their normal restaurants. 

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

I'm going to imagine it's vastly different if it's fast food.

i don't expect it to be a fast food joint , just a normal indian restaurant with take out options,  the only time indian food tends to be fast is on the way out.

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

Doesn't it have a drive thru? 

Didn’t look like it, unless it’s round the back. Of course Vellika’s Ramsey used to be the drive through IoM Bank, don’t think they kept the service window, it was at the opposite side of the building from what is now the kitchen.

Even Indian street food takes some cooking after order. Don’t think it’d be suitable for drive through.

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Didn’t look like it, unless it’s round the back. Of course Vellika’s Ramsey used to be the drive through IoM Bank, don’t think they kept the service window, it was at the opposite side of the building from what is now the kitchen.

Even Indian street food takes some cooking after order. Don’t think it’d be suitable for drive through.

Thought the purposes of them all were that they have drive thru. They certainly appear to have the little window at the front with the right amount of space. I could be completely wrong (it has been known 😁).

That's where my thought of the fast food type thing is coming from as there are quite a few of these in UK retail parks now. 

The new venue at Seven Kingdom has opened, The Copper Pot.

The bar feels a bit sparse but the guy running it seems to be enthusiastic and switched on with a view to improving on it. 

It's obviously a nice looking venue and if they get the bar offering right (which Seven Kingdom never managed to do IMO) then it could be very good. 

Thai Taste have taken the restaurant space. They were good at the Bucks Road venue but not so great in the one opposite 1886, albeit I think that was aimed at more of a fast food type setup. 

If you do venture down that end, give the bar at Mrs Yangs a try. It's always very quiet but don't let that put you off. Or if you're eating there and fancy a cocktail. They've brought a young Filipino guy over from Dubai and his cocktails are very good. 

Venture further down and you've got Kikis also knocking out fantastic cocktails most days of the week too. 

If The Copper Pot can get it right it could breathe new life back into that end of The Quay and I have no doubts whatsoever that Kikis will do well and brighten up their bit.