Firm closing

finlo

24 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

The new venue at Seven Kingdom has opened, The Copper Pot.

The bar feels a bit sparse but the guy running it seems to be enthusiastic and switched on with a view to improving on it. 

It's obviously a nice looking venue and if they get the bar offering right (which Seven Kingdom never managed to do IMO) then it could be very good. 

Thai Taste have taken the restaurant space. They were good at the Bucks Road venue but not so great in the one opposite 1886, albeit I think that was aimed at more of a fast food type setup. 

If you do venture down that end, give the bar at Mrs Yangs a try. It's always very quiet but don't let that put you off. Or if you're eating there and fancy a cocktail. They've brought a young Filipino guy over from Dubai and his cocktails are very good. 

Venture further down and you've got Kikis also knocking out fantastic cocktails most days of the week too. 

If The Copper Pot can get it right it could breathe new life back into that end of The Quay and I have no doubts whatsoever that Kikis will do well and brighten up their bit. 

Plus superb burgers from the Dreambird guys in their 14 North pop ups.

Apparently we are all doomed and nobody is spending.  We are spoiled for choice and struggling to try all the new places at the moment.

Rumbabas in Ramsey.  We haven’t been but it appears to be booked solid for their all you can eat Tapas plus one drink offers on a Tuesday and Thursday night at £30 a head.

4 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Plus superb burgers from the Dreambird guys in their 14 North pop ups.

Apparently we are all doomed and nobody is spending.  We are spoiled for choice and struggling to try all the new places at the moment.

Rumbabas in Ramsey.  We haven’t been but it appears to be booked solid for their all you can eat Tapas plus one drink offers on a Tuesday and Thursday night at £30 a head.

There is an element of new business bounce. Everyone goes at first and it's only after a few months, then it dips and eventually levels itself out.

The tapas thing is a clever move, in fairness. 

They will certainly be ok until after Christmas, next couple of months always a bit of a struggle in the industry, so their levelling out won't come until around March/April. It's a good time of year to open a restaurant. 

There are certainly some people spending. Feedback over the last few weeks both on the Isle of Man and the UK is that spending is actually down a bit and places have been a little quieter. That said, I don't think it's as bad as people fear or some claim. I think it will only pickup between now and Christmas too. 

42 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

There is an element of new business bounce. Everyone goes at first and it's only after a few months, then it dips and eventually levels itself out.

They will certainly be ok until after Christmas, next couple of months always a bit of a struggle in the industry, so their levelling out won't come until around March/April. It's a good time of year to open a restaurant. 

There are certainly some people spending. Feedback over the last few weeks both on the Isle of Man and the UK is that spending is actually down a bit and places have been a little quieter. That said, I don't think it's as bad as people fear or some claim. I think it will only pickup between now and Christmas too. 

I don't know why more eateries and drinkeries don't do more offers on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. L'experience do them quite often with a fixed menu for £25. Its not the same as the usual portions but its a great idea to get footfall and make on the drinks and extras

Well , once again in JP&P last night and no sign of slow down in there. Pretty much all the tables in view full, not sure about the room around the corner though as that’s not visible from the main room. . Great atmosphere and as always nice food . Prices still really reasonable too. 

5 hours ago, jackwhite said:

OK as a Ramsey resident I thought I’d let you have the benefit of a review of Rum Baba following a visit from myself and Mrs TVOR.

We like to eat early so booked dinner there for 6pm  a Saturday availing ourselves of the excellent Connect bus service.

As the Connect service only gives you a 20 minute window ( doesn’t guarantee you will get the exact time you want, which is fair enough) we were picked up and deposited near to  Parliament Street at 5.30 or thereabouts. No doubt we could have gone into RB’s and got our table then. However we thought  we’d take advantage of being in town early and went to Bar Logo for an aperitif. Not been in there since it’s revamp, maybe a couple of years ago but it was very nice. We were the only customers in there.

Anyway I digress.

We got to Rum Baba just before 6 and already the place was half full and were shown to our table in the back. For those that don’t know,  the place is bisected into front and back by a bar at right angles to the wall. The back seemed more preferable and less noisy.

Cutting to the chase we had three tapas items each, and shared a portion of “ fries” all of which were very nice and arrived shortly after ordering. Oh and a G & T and a bottle of Castillero Cabernet ( the wine costing £24, available for £9.50 in Shoprite, so not an unreasonable mark up)

As we ate our meal, the place filled to what I would say was capacity, taking into account the two tables with “ reserved “ signs on them

Plates were cleared quickly. 

And then we waited, and waited, and waited some more for someone to offer us the desert menu.

Didn’t happen , I assume because they were v busy so we went to the bar to settle up. £100 with tip. Not cheap for a tapas meal but not ridiculous. 

Suppose this should be in the Food and Drink section but that doesn’t seem to be  frequently visited.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Small adj to last para

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Well , once again in JP&P last night and no sign of slow down in there. Pretty much all the tables in view full, not sure about the room around the corner though as that’s not visible from the main room. . Great atmosphere and as always nice food . Prices still really reasonable too. 

I’ve never found JP&P more than just ok. 

7 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I’ve never found JP&P more than just ok. 

No I get that as you’ve said before I think. My assessment for what it’s worth though takes in everything. It’s very reasonable , always a great ambience , service has always been good when I’ve been in and and have never had below standard meal. Last night it was £66 for garlic bread shared , 6 peroni , two pasta dishes and one desert and one coffee and one tea. I personally think that’s good value. 

Edited by Numbnuts

7 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

No I get that as you’ve said before I think. My assessment for what it’s worth though takes in everything. It’s very reasonable , always a great ambience , service has always been good when I’ve been in and and have never had below standard meal. Last night it was £66 for garlic bread shared , 6 peroni , two pasta dishes and one desert and one coffee and one tea. I personally think that’s good value. 

Yes ok like I said in another post I gave Ramsey Park Hotel ( another chance) so only fair I guess to give JPP another cance

Thanks Numbnuts.

Never been there but always regarded it as a 'Belly filler with Family dining ethos'? Chips for the Kids!!!

I'm sure flipping the lids on 6 Peronis helped to balance the food price???

Everyone to their own................

32 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

No I get that as you’ve said before I think.

Don’t think I’ve said it before but yes - JP&P, Jacks, Matchams, Villa Parilla all just ok for the price which is absolutely fine. Turn up, pay, leave. No bad experience. Good turnover businesses. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Thanks Numbnuts.

Never been there but always regarded it as a 'Belly filler with Family dining ethos'? Chips for the Kids!!!

I'm sure flipping the lids on 6 Peronis helped to balance the food price???

Everyone to their own................

TBF it’s a bit more than that. While it’s good for kids , what kid doesn’t like pizza , evening is more varied and mainly adults , groups and catch up with friends going on. It’s pretty laid back and you never really feel pressured . It’s good business , anything with rice and pasta is good for bottom line , and drink prices are reasonable with bottle of Pinot , which I normally drink is £24. Peroni not sure as their app wont open currently .