Firm closing

finlo

6 hours ago, jackwhite said:

The new venue at Seven Kingdom has opened, The Copper Pot.

The bar feels a bit sparse but the guy running it seems to be enthusiastic and switched on with a view to improving on it. 

It's obviously a nice looking venue and if they get the bar offering right (which Seven Kingdom never managed to do IMO) then it could be very good. 

Thai Taste have taken the restaurant space. They were good at the Bucks Road venue but not so great in the one opposite 1886, albeit I think that was aimed at more of a fast food type setup. 

If you do venture down that end, give the bar at Mrs Yangs a try. It's always very quiet but don't let that put you off. Or if you're eating there and fancy a cocktail. They've brought a young Filipino guy over from Dubai and his cocktails are very good. 

Venture further down and you've got Kikis also knocking out fantastic cocktails most days of the week too. 

If The Copper Pot can get it right it could breathe new life back into that end of The Quay and I have no doubts whatsoever that Kikis will do well and brighten up their bit. 

I quite liked Seven Kingdoms, good service and atmosphere, busy at times but just didn't seem to catch on?

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I quite liked Seven Kingdoms, good service and atmosphere, busy at times but just didn't seem to catch on?

Just didn’t seem to know what it wanted to be. 

Didn’t think cocktails were good enough for it to be a cocktail bar. Not keen on their own spirits either. Poor beer selection. 

Owners didn’t really know how to run or market it and it is somewhere you really have to head for as a destination. 

They got flooded early on and don’t think ever really recovered from it. 

7 kingdoms have offered several different food outlets? None seem to have had wide appeal? Too many dedicated outlets in the vicinity???

If they wanted a food offering to have a chance it would have to be something exclusive , Japanese??? Tofu burgers???

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Fair enough, I've never been there but it has not appealed to me because I want a more individual experience for a 'night out'.

No I understand that as years ago I would too. That years ago would be my go to night out with the lucky girl  at the time. My ideal night out though would be 2 maybe 4 friends out for a nice formal meal. As it usually was in the 70’s onwards. La Rosette being my favorite and of course the Grill room at the then Palace or Clarendon grill at Villers.  So many places you could go for a lovely meal. Now I’m happy with a less formal dining experience relaxing with friends often talking of those very days .  

Edited by Numbnuts

Just now, Kopek said:

7 kingdoms have offered several different food outlets? None seem to have had wide appeal? Too many dedicated outlets in the vicinity???

If they wanted a food offering to have a chance it would have to be something exclusive , Japanese??? Tofu burgers???

Bonzai did well. 

They got fed up with Seven Kingdom dictating to them and then got offered The Sefton, where they’re doing really well.

7 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

dictating to them a

Can understand that.!  Just don't let them???? They run the Bar, you run the food!!!

Did Bansai replace Harbour bistro at the Sefton? Is that Melady? Hope so, she deserves the success. Old school!

Strange mixture of Bar starters thinking that they know how to cater and catereres thinking that they can run a Bar!!!!

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Can understand that.!  Just don't let them???? They run the Bar, you run the food!!!

Did Bansai replace Harbour bistro at the Sefton? Is that Melady? Hope so, she deserves the success. Old school!

Strange mixture of Bar starters thinking that they know how to cater and catereres thinking that they can run a Bar!!!!

Yes it’s Melody in the Sefton for sure .

26 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Bonzai did well. 

They got fed up with Seven Kingdom dictating to them and then got offered The Sefton, where they’re doing really well.

Are they.

It was in my bottom ten meals on island when we went.

Poor service. Less than average food and a price that was way above what it justified 

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

It's the same people, yes.

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Are they.

It was in my bottom ten meals on island when we went.

Poor service. Less than average food and a price that was way above what it justified 

Dave, like everything else, your opinion isn't the gospel on everything. That might be your opinion.

When they were at Seven Kingdom it was very difficult to get a table. Now they've moved down to The Sefton they're doing extremely well. It doesn't matter what you think of their service, food or price. They are regularly busy and are very successful.

You seem to think if you don't like it that it either won't succeed or that it can't possibly do well. There are plenty of concepts which will be successful that you won't like. Maybe they're just not aimed at you or your demographic. But you don't seem to grasp that businesses only need to hone in on the 10% of people who really like them to be successful. Bonzai probably a bit more than that.

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

The Ticket Hall opening an additional mezzanine space with restaurant dining at lunchtimes and evenings.

That part of town is seeing a lot of positives stuff lately.

I remember eating on a mezzanine space at the Ticket Hall some years ago. Is that what you mean?
I can’t imagine there is two mezzanines.Maybe it’s been shut for a while and is reopening ?

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I remember eating on a mezzanine space at the Ticket Hall some years ago. Is that what you mean?
I can’t imagine there is two mezzanines.Maybe it’s been shut for a while and is reopening ?

Yes me too. Had the breakfast on a shovel there years ago just after they opened and it was definitely mezzanine level. 

• Like 1