Firm closing

finlo

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh, I can play that game.

Remember...

image.thumb.png.981f1690e10dcedb106186e8a0954c0e.png

...to sell your house

I disagree completely.

Cowley Groves have done this for years.  They donate a significant amount to The British Legion and not one of their windows has an actual house in it this week.  They could miss out on business as a result of giving over their main advertising space.

It’s completely different to a tacky bar trying to generate likes on a Facebook post.  To compare the two shows a total lack of understanding of what they are each doing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Most probably phytosanitary regulations and nothing to do with the shipping company.

No, it’s down to transport regulations for livestock. There are three levels of retained EU regulation affecting UK IoM transport, including poultry.

Under 65 km ( 40 miles ) it’s pretty unregulated.

Over 65/40 it’s regulated.

Over 65/40 and 8 hours it’s heavily regulated.

Bringing over a large number of point of lay chickens, once every 12 months, isn’t much incentive for transport companies, including Mezeron, to have the correct staff on hand.

Journeys less than 65 kilometres

If you’re transporting animals for less than 65 kilometres (about 40 miles), it’s not necessary for vehicles to be authorised or for drivers/handlers to hold certificates of competence. However, an ATC is required and your drivers and handlers must have had some form of relevant training. See the page in this guide on training and competence certification for animal transporters in this guide.

Journeys over 65 kilometres and under eight hours

If your business transports livestock further than 65 kilometres where total journey times are less than eight hours, you must hold:

• a valid transporter authorisation for short journeys – see the page on animal transportation documents in this guide
  • valid certificates of competence for drivers and handlers – see the page on training and competence certification for animal transporters in this guide

Journeys over eight hours

If your business transports livestock for journeys totalling more than eight hours, you must hold:

• a valid transporter authorisation for long journeys – see the page in this guide on animal transportation documents
  • valid certificates of competence for drivers and handlers – see the page in this guide on training and competence certification
  • valid vehicle/container approval certificates – see the page in this guide on the inspection and approval of animal transportation vehicles

For certain long journeys, it’s also a legal requirement for the vehicle to have satellite navigation and a tracking system. See the page in this guide on inspection and approval of animal transportation vehicles.

Training and competence certification for animal transporters

Individual drivers or handlers responsible for transporting farmed vertebrate animals must have had some form of training on the relevant animal welfare rules. The type of training required varies according to the distances, journey durations and species involved.

Training for journeys less than 65 kilometres

If journeys are less than 65 kilometres (about 40 miles), the training doesn’t have to involve a formal qualification. It’s acceptable for skills to be gained through a combination of on-the-job instruction and practical experience. Training should cover:

• fitness for travel
  • means of transport and use of its facilities
  • loading, unloading and handling
  • watering and feeding intervals
  • journey times and rest periods
  • space allowances
  • documentation

Certificates of competence for journeys over 65 kilometres

Drivers or attendants responsible for transporting farmed cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, poultry and domestic equidae over 65 kilometres must hold a relevant certificate of competence. These are independently assessed qualifications specific to the person’s role – ie driver or attendant. The species and duration of journeys involved is also a factor in the qualification. The person taking the qualification can include:

• those involved in journeys of under eight hours (they can be assessed by a theory test)
  • those involved in journeys over eight hours (they must also pass a practical assessment)

Defra has authorised several independent organisations to carry out assessments and award certificates.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gladys said:

Just wonder why importing chick's was so necessary, could they not breed their own?  Genuine question. 

They didn't import chicks, or raise their own chicks. They were egg producers so they needed to buy in started pullets, as in young birds ready to start laying, to keep up their production volume. It would cost too much to raise pullets from chicks and then start selling their eggs. To reach point of lay raising a chick costs about £30. Chickens lay for three or four years with the number and quality of eggs declining year or year so they need replacing sooner than you think. I know all this because I used to eat the most expensive eggs in the country and now have a small flock of geriatric chickens that laugh at me every day...

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Expat. said:

They didn't import chicks, or raise their own chicks. They were egg producers so they needed to buy in started pullets, as in young birds ready to start laying, to keep up their production volume. It would cost too much to raise pullets from chicks and then start selling their eggs. To reach point of lay raising a chick costs about £30. Chickens lay for three or four years with the number and quality of eggs declining year or year so they need replacing sooner than you think. I know all this because I used to eat the most expensive eggs in the country and now have a small flock of geriatric chickens that laugh at me every day...

Used to keep chckens myself. Pullets reach POL at about 3 - 4 months, so yes a cost, but if you buy them you are including the pullet producers' costs as well as profit and transport costs.   It just seems that if you can work your own supply into the business of producing eggs (i.e., from those nearing the end of their most productive egg laying) it would be a solution. But never was in it commercially, so have no particular insight.  

Great things chickens, would love to have a couple now. 

50 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Used to keep chckens myself. Pullets reach POL at about 3 - 4 months, so yes a cost, but if you buy them you are including the pullet producers' costs as well as profit and transport costs.   It just seems that if you can work your own supply into the business of producing eggs (i.e., from those nearing the end of their most productive egg laying) it would be a solution. But never was in it commercially, so have no particular insight.  

Great things chickens, would love to have a couple now. 

I think the issue is that you have to have space for both the layers and the chicks you’re bringing on to point of lay. If you’re concentrating on egg production you won’t have spare space. So you cull your layers and have a 13-17 week production hiatus or you buy in. So it’s not the cost of feeding and caring to PoL. It’s the lost egg sales.

Breeders producing to PoL can produce four “crops” each year. Then sell on straight into production.

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

Which is closing, Bordello or Ravioli??? Are they the same person running both? Is he the same as Piazza???

The guy who had Attraversiamo, gave it up, and someone else opened Ravioli House in the same place (still open). At the same time he had Attraversiamo, he opened Truth, which he then gave up to move to Bordello (as far as I know renting from the guy who owns La Piazza), but from what I hear, has now given up on Bordello too.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

I disagree completely.

Cowley Groves have done this for years.  They donate a significant amount to The British Legion and not one of their windows has an actual house in it this week.  They could miss out on business as a result of giving over their main advertising space.

It’s completely different to a tacky bar trying to generate likes on a Facebook post.  To compare the two shows a total lack of understanding of what they are each doing.

This 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 10:33 PM, CrazyDave said:

That, and the fact that they can’t charge people the actual price they need to to make up for the extra costs because people think a crappy imported cheap (do you see what I did there) egg is the same as a fresh local free range one.

The race to the bottom on price and quality is one that none of us should be encouraging or taking part in, but there are always people who think “eggs are eggs” who can’t see the bigger picture.

Lots of folk on the Island cannot afford and are unable to buy the premium produce and resort to buying what they can put on the table to feed families etc. not everyone is wealthy or well off as the foodbank can confirm.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Lots of folk on the Island cannot afford and are unable to buy the premium produce and resort to buying what they can put on the table to feed families etc. not everyone is wealthy or well off as the foodbank can confirm.

There’s plenty vying for the premium local spend though. It used to only be Noa, now theres Cycle 360, Refuge and the new place at the Wine Cellar on Peel Road vying to sell £9 bacon baps. None seem short of premium customers so far. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1