Firm closing

finlo

18 minutes ago, woolley said:

Non-starter, like Aldi and all the rest of the frequent romoured arrivals.

Why would Aldi (/Lidl?) be a non-starter? Orkney has a population of around 20k (not all on the mainland) but still supports a Lidl.

Edited by Yibble

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Ha Ha.

Sorry mate you are wrong. I'll PM you evidence. If you dont believe me email them yourself. They are definitely looking and if they can get the right property they will do it.

Commission for anyone who suggests a suitable site that they subsequently develop.

I cant think of any.

Yes, please, if you have inside knowledge. I look forward to reading that. I suppose you have the right name to know!! It reminds me of that old "Happy Eater" logo with an animated face that looked like it was trying to make itself vomit.

ETA: image.png.7f9f26df620c697891d02ceadbb87995.png (This one)

I follow Spoons myself. Very interesting company, and contrary to popular belief they have some really classy properties that are a credit to the towns. Weston Super Mare as a glowing example.

I would say though that the reason you gave "too expensive" comes under my general heading of "hassle". Too expensive means it doesn't fit the business plan. Too expensive property, too expensive labour, etc. Then the hassle of operating in a separate jurisdiction for tax and NI etc. It just gives me the feeling of "why would they?" when there are far easier pickings. That was the reason for my negative assessment, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by woolley

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Very few McDonalds are owned by the company.

93% of them are franchises.

Still controlled by McDonalds. They don't give away those franchises on a whim.

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's not even built is it? Is it for sale?

I reckon it would be too expensive for them. They like old buildings that no one wants. Dont see many in new developments (although there are a few)

1886 was the perfect location to fit their model layout.

(re Wetherspoons) which is largely why 1886 has been so successful. I think many people doubted it would work, including myself.

The Brewery bollocksed up with Strand 58, which had cornered the 1886 type market for a few decades.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yibble said:

Why would Aldi (/Lidl?) be a non-starter? Orkney has a population of around 20k (not all on the mainland) but still supports a Lidl.

Orkney is in the UK. IOM is a separate jurisdiction for NI/tax = hassle on very tight margins. Again, it's a case of "why would they?" There are still much easier pickings.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, woolley said:

Par for the course!

Yes indeed. I don't deny it is a difficult business, especially as we don't have the place teeming with tourists desperate for all day boozing each summer. But if the brewery can't do the job, give it to someone who can. The ridiculous covenants they put on their failed pub businesses is laughable. I wonder if similar was put on Strand 58?

Regardless if they did, along comes 1886 round the corner and hoovers up the business - all day and all night - a kind of 'spoons on speed (although of course I don't mean that literally).

Edited by Barlow

2 hours ago, WTF said:

no, same with kfc /griddles , proper  fast food outlets  (  not takeaways ) need drive through facilities , that's the whole point really , it could be argued they don't need the sit in part but if you're in business there anyway why not give customers with a few more minutes to spare the option ?   where on strand street could you have drive through ???

It's a takeaway, but Niko's - Mediterranean opposite Marksies is actually really good.  Usually somewhere like that would only really be for booze snacking for me, but I've added it to my lunchtime routine. 

Great chicken shwarma and fallafels.  Is that too middle class? 

The owner (I'm assuming Niko) is a cool guy too, although Bulgarian, not really the Med. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Barlow said:

The ridiculous covenants they put on their failed pub businesses is laughable. I wonder if similar was put on Strand 58?

More outrageous than laughable, and should be outlawed. If they can't hack it that shouldn't give them the right to say that nobody else can have a shot even after they've disposed of the building.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, woolley said:

More outrageous than laughable, and should be outlawed. If they can't hack it that shouldn't give them the right to say that nobody else can have a shot even after they've disposed of the building.

They can't now under the licensing law that was effective last year. 

Anything prior to that is still under covenant. We discussed on here previously how likely that would be to stand up to a legal challenge and how it was unlikely anyone would have the appetite to do so. 

Also, back to the subject of businesses actually opening (well opposite to the thread title) Barbary Coast is to open in the brewery property that was The Royal George in Ramsey.

6 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Ooh, do they do lamb too? 

Yep, Niko actually gave me some free lamb to nibble on whilst I was waiting for my falafel wrap last week.  

I'm actually now at the point where I walk past, shout in "Usual dude" grab some other shopping and come back 10 mins later.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yep, Niko actually gave me some free lamb to nibble on whilst I was waiting for my falafel wrap last week.  

I'm actually now at the point where I walk past, shout in "Usual dude" grab some other shopping and come back 10 mins later.

Don't advertise the place, they'll run out of falafel even quicker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1