Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, Banker said:

34 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

More bad news.

6 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Yay!   Another bloody coffee shop.

It’s registered, and owned by MNH. Was on a long lease to Barclays at low rent. Barclays responsible for care and upkeep.

Was originally the Market Hall, with meeting room above. The ground floor was open. If you look at the window arches you can see that they’ve been filled in with different stone, below the windows.

MNH have long wanted it as an interpretation centre and gift shop.

Just now, John Wright said:

It’s registered, and owned by MNH. Was on a long lease to Barclays at low rent. Barclays responsible for care and upkeep.

Was originally the Market Hall, with meeting room above. The ground floor was open. If you look at the window arches you can see that they’ve been filled in with different stone, below the windows.

MNH have long wanted it as an interpretation centre and gift shop.

WTF is an 'interpretation centre'  ? is it where they try and decipher josems posts ?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

More bad news.

To be honest I’d assumed that branch of Barclays had closed years ago. Hardly ever see anyone in there.

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

An interpretation centre ( stop pretending to be VoR ). And, why not?

I genuinely have no idea what that is but would assume somewhere that people who don’t speak English can get assisted?

If so, whyMNH would want to use a lovely and prominent building for that?  Surely their remit is to preserve buildings in a way that people use them and they generate revenue?

If an interpretation centre is what I have guessed, then why not use the town hall or another building that could fulfil the same function without wasting a nice building like the one Barclays are currently using.

PS - why so smug and thinking you are so superior?   Just answer the question.

Edited by CrazyDave

6 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I genuinely have no idea what that is but would assume somewhere that people who don’t speak English can get assisted?

If so, whyMNH would want to use a lovely and prominent building for that?  Surely their remit is to preserve buildings in a way that people use them and they generate revenue?

If an interpretation centre is what I have guessed, then why not use the town hall or another building that could fulfil the same function without wasting a nice building like the one Barclays are currently using.

Im not being smug. I can’t help it that you don’t understand the difference between interpretation and interpreting.

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

An interpretation centre, as I understand it,  is to give information on the various sites in the area, their history, context and interaction.  Probably in an accessible way. 

So you can go and find out the history of Castle Rushen, how it was used through the years, why it made Castletown the ancient capital and why the original House if Keys is there.  As well as how this impacts on the landscape and how the landscape has impacted on the town.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Im not being smug. I can’t help it that you don’t understand the difference between interpretation and interpreting.

So just answer the question, and explain why it needs to be one building that MNH own?

There are reasons this place has so few active posters, and one of them is a perception by the general population that certain members think they are above everyone else and like to belittle them and be smug and pedantic at every opportunity .

Prove them wrong.  Just explain what you are on about.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

An interpretation centre, as I understand it,  is to give information on the various sites in the area, their history, context and interaction.  Probably in an accessible way. 

So you can go and find out the history of Castle Rushen, how it was used through the years, why it made Castletown the ancient capital and why the original House if Keys is there.  As well as how this impacts on the landscape and how the landscape has impacted on the town.  

Thank you.

I would imagine that could be covered within one of the other MNH buildings in Castletown without giving a whole building over to it?

It can’t see there would be many people using it

• Like 1