Firm closing

finlo

3 hours ago, Yibble said:

Well as she wasn't elected until 1979, that would have been (even by her standards) quite an impact.

If we were to follow your 'logic', the real answer answer should presumably have been "absence of Thatcher" as being at the root of the problems, which indeed it was. 

The 70s led up to Thatcher. It was the era that brought her to power, very divided, confrontational, and things were generally run-down and shit. Thatcher represented the culmination of the awfulness, and ushered in unparalleled  greed, selfishness and the destruction of the UK's manufacturing base. She turned much of northern England into an industrial theme park, used the police as a political weapon, and made callousness into an art-form. Some of her political disciples are still running the IoM government, showing the same fine regard for working people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

The 70s led up to Thatcher. It was the era that brought her to power, very divided, confrontational, and things were generally run-down and shit. Thatcher represented the culmination of the awfulness, and ushered in unparalleled  greed, selfishness and the destruction of the UK's manufacturing base. She turned much of northern England into an industrial theme park, used the police as a political weapon, and made callousness into an art-form. 

. . . is the received opinion of a certain type of idiot. No point arging with them of course, as facts and reason will never overcome their idiot prejudices (or should that be 'postjudices'?) 

Now back to the subject on the card.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Lamb said:

The 70s led up to Thatcher. It was the era that brought her to power, very divided, confrontational, and things were generally run-down and shit. Thatcher represented the culmination of the awfulness, and ushered in unparalleled  greed, selfishness and the destruction of the UK's manufacturing base. She turned much of northern England into an industrial theme park, used the police as a political weapon, and made callousness into an art-form. Some of her political disciples are still running the IoM government, showing the same fine regard for working people.

1 hour ago, Yibble said:

. . . is the received opinion of a certain type of idiot. No point arging with them of course, as facts and reason will never overcome their idiot prejudices (or should that be 'postjudices'?) 

Thatcher was stubborn as a mule about her politics and policies, but she wasn’t stupid - she was just wrong on many different levels, IMHO. I am increasingly coming to conclusion that many of our politicians might simply be stupid. For a small country this is a tragic state of affairs that impacts all residents of all political stripes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, code99 said:

Thatcher was stubborn as a mule about her politics and policies, but she wasn’t stupid - she was just wrong on many different levels, IMHO. I am increasingly coming to conclusion that many of our politicians might simply be stupid. For a small country this is a tragic state of affairs that impacts all residents of all political stripes.

You’re only coming to the conclusion???

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, code99 said:

If you follow the ongoing UK Covid Inquiry you will have all the evidence you need to aid your journey to that conclusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Where did you find the photos?

I’d really prefer not to say. Apparently if I provide accurate information I’m conceited, showing off, smug, superior, and so on. I’m terribly hurt by the slurs. It’s clearly because I’m a member of a group with protected characteristics. I’m being bullied.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7