Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’d really prefer not to say. Apparently if I provide accurate information I’m conceited, showing off, smug, superior, and so on. I’m terribly hurt by the slurs. It’s clearly because I’m a member of a group with protected characteristics. I’m being bullied.

You forgot haughty.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's just final confirmation of what we knew was happening of course.  The trouble is that it makes one aspect of the existing situation even worse.  Before Lloyds' troubles they owned 10 of the Island's 23 pharmacies, Clear had 4 and there were 9 others, including 2 Karsons.  Now Clear have 14 of the 23.  If something were to happen to the company the majority of pharmacies on the Island would suddenly be out of action.

There will also be the possibility of closures from duplication as well (eg Port Erin), especially given the general shortage of pharmacists.  And we don't know the future of the ones in Shoprite stores either.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typo
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes I try to use Helmsley as much as possible as clearly apart from being a nice chemist with helpful staff they need the business .

Proper generational business Ian Hemensley is 3rd family name over the door and chair of the IOM pharmacy committee or whatever it’s called officially- he’ll have an influence on the licensing process 

9 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Proper generational business Ian Hemensley is 3rd family name over the door and chair of the IOM pharmacy committee or whatever it’s called officially- he’ll have an influence on the licensing process 

Fourth generation really and the shop is even older:

John James Frowde was born on 18 July 1868.  [...He] owned and ran the the chemist business on Windsor Road, Douglas from about 1890, taking it from Mr W. A. McKown. Later it was run by Mr Frowde's nephew Bert Hemensley and thereafter by his son John Hemensley.

And now of course by his son Ian.  Frowde's photos of old Douglas are fascinating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Supermarkets saw off a lot of small pharmacies in the late 40s and fifties before then everyone used the chemists for soap, toothpaste etc and this is what made them profitable once the supermarkets came to town and started selling these commodities it made trading less attractive for chemist shops.

Supermarkets didn’t really make much impact on shopping habits until the 1960’s. Self service wasn’t introduced until 1956 by Waitrose, Sainsbury’s or Tesco, Morrisons in 1958 and ASDA didn’t even exist before 1966.

Yes, sail of toiletries and cosmetics was taken from some local chemists, but there had been larger cash chemists, Boots & Timothy Whites & Taylor’s, in urban centres since the early years of the C20.

Up until the 50’s and 60’s chemists only stocked a limited number of drugs/medicines. Often they made their own pills. What really put paid to many small community pharmacies was the increasing level of expensive stock they had to carry as medicine became more sophisticated, and the fact that they were competing with Boots, or Lloyds who had huge economies of scale and were integrated, Boots manufactured, wholesaled and retailed and Lloyds did wholesale and retail.

That being said, a trip to my local chemist as a child, invariably meant coltsfoot rock or a liquorish stick. It was a one man band.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Typo!!!!!!   Can’t spell or do grammer

It’s grammar. 

• Haha 2