Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

Why should it not be ?

That's like saying the chips in a meat restaurant are likely to be crap !!!

Because vegan and vegetarian 'burgers', 'sausages' and 'roasts' are generally disappointing — usually made in factories at least a week before they are sold on in supermarkets — expensive, unloved units of food. Vegetarians I know who care about their health and tastebuds mostly cook from scratch. I have to admit that well made vegetarian fare, particularly based on vegetarian food cultures is pretty good (though often a bit heavy on ghee and paneer for me). I have opinions on veganism too, but I have learnt from experience that it is best to keep them to myself. 

15 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Because vegan and vegetarian 'burgers', 'sausages' and 'roasts' are generally disappointing — usually made in factories at least a week before they are sold on in supermarkets — expensive, unloved units of food. Vegetarians I know who care about their health and tastebuds mostly cook from scratch. I have to admit that well made vegetarian fare, particularly based on vegetarian food cultures is pretty good (though often a bit heavy on ghee and paneer for me). I have opinions on veganism too, but I have learnt from experience that it is best to keep them to myself. 

I'm far off being vegetarian and even further off being vegan. However if I want something meat free , which I do sometimes, I'll have something like a sweet potato curry or just a meal without meat. I can't do with all these meat substitute aborations .

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Because vegan and vegetarian 'burgers', 'sausages' and 'roasts' are generally disappointing — usually made in factories at least a week

Do you think this any different to the retail production any produce in the retail sector???

Poor you!!!

There are three way to produce a Hamburger in catering......

Buy ready made formed frozen ones from a supplier

Buy mince with extender and binders included from your butcher

Buy pure mince but with a fat content and make your own without additions less seasonings

You, the customer will never know which you are getting, except for the 'Smash' burger because you cant 'smash' a frozen burger.

You, the customer, will never know what you are getting...but we in the kitchen do!!!!

10 hours ago, The Bastard said:

But, tellingly a Gallup Poll of eating habits in the USA reflected that vegan levels in the people surveyed in 2023 were lower than in 2012 and 2018. Again, it ties in with a peak in veganism around the 2018-2019 boom, with a decline afterwards.

I'm not sure that those figures really show that (and Gallup don't claim they do).  It's only six data points over 25 years and if you look at the linked tables etc (downloads) the sample size is only around 1000, so the number of vegetarians will only be around 40-50 and vegans around 10.  So random fluctuation in the sample will make it look like there is movement when there isn't.  It also makes analysis of the sub-sample fairly useless.

YouGov have some better data here on UK and US vegans (based on full panel preferences, so many thousands):

https://yougov.co.uk/health/articles/40790-profile-peek-vegans-us-and-britain

and on UK dietary habits in general, though only over four years, fairly steady in that period:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/society/trackers/dietery-choices-of-brits-eg-vegeterian-flexitarian-meat-eater-etc

Sample sizes are in the 2000 range, so a bit better and you can use the tabs at the side to look at particular subgroups.  Interestingly while only 2-3% are vegan and another 5-7% vegetarian, 13-16% described themselves as flexitarian (mainly vegetarian but occasionally eat meat or fish). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure that those figures really show that (and Gallup don't claim they do).  It's only six data points over 25 years and if you look at the linked tables etc (downloads) the sample size is only around 1000, so the number of vegetarians will only be around 40-50 and vegans around 10.  So random fluctuation in the sample will make it look like there is movement when there isn't.  It also makes analysis of the sub-sample fairly useless.

YouGov have some better data here on UK and US vegans (based on full panel preferences, so many thousands):

https://yougov.co.uk/health/articles/40790-profile-peek-vegans-us-and-britain

and on UK dietary habits in general, though only over four years, fairly steady in that period:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/society/trackers/dietery-choices-of-brits-eg-vegeterian-flexitarian-meat-eater-etc

Sample sizes are in the 2000 range, so a bit better and you can use the tabs at the side to look at particular subgroups.  Interestingly while only 2-3% are vegan and another 5-7% vegetarian, 13-16% described themselves as flexitarian (mainly vegetarian but occasionally eat meat or fish). 

Waffle. 

image.thumb.png.f2ad8888bb6ac7edb0866bd3d855bd36.png

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Not surprised

Agreed. There's 8 pubs/bars within 5 mins or thereabouts, all far superior. The Legion is a soulless place with terrible beer, so yes definitely not a surprise. The last few times I've been out in Peel, everywhere else was busy so they must have been doing something wrong.

• Like 1

Not a firm closing, but more big brewery changes with a new chef and more upmarket menu coming to The British, which is to become a gastro pub.

Sounds good, I understand the guy in the kitchen has worked at Tanrogan and Coast.

12 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Not a firm closing, but more big brewery changes with a new chef and more upmarket menu coming to The British, which is to become a gastro pub.

Sounds good, I understand the guy in the kitchen has worked at Tanrogan and Coast.

Richard is a great Chef, food is always top drawer.

Edit: He was also head chef at Samphire before it closed.

Edited by slinkydevil

On 1/4/2024 at 8:26 PM, CrazyDave said:

Not surprised.

Shocking service on the rare occasions it’s open.

Wonder what will happen to the snooker table?

Why don’t you go and ask them, better still put your hands in your deep pockets and short arms, and make them an offer, for the table and fixtures and fittings? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Why don’t you go and ask them, better still put your hands in your deep pockets and short arms, and make them an offer, for the table and fixtures and fittings? 

Erm, because I have nowhere to put a full size snooker table 🤷‍♂️