Firm closing

finlo

On 1/4/2024 at 9:14 PM, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Agreed. There's 8 pubs/bars within 5 mins or thereabouts, all far superior. The Legion is a soulless place with terrible beer, so yes definitely not a surprise. The last few times I've been out in Peel, everywhere else was busy so they must have been doing something wrong.

Whatever the case and rights and wrongs, it’s sad that another one bites the dust. I’m sure there are people who will mourn its passing. 

Just now, CrazyDave said:

Erm, because I have nowhere to put a full size snooker table 🤷‍♂️

Fair enough. You can still go there, gloat and ask pointless questions and offer them your pearls of wisdom.

Just now, 2112 said:

Fair enough. You can still go there, gloat and ask pointless questions and offer them your pearls of wisdom.

No thanks.  I have been there many times but not for the last few years because it’s a shithole and the service went seriously downhill. 

I think the likes of the Legion clubs are becoming a thing of the past, as those who served in the armed forces dwindle in number. It's a long time since WW2 and National Service, so unless they can generate new and non military membership, the model becomes a bit pointless. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think the likes of the Legion clubs are becoming a thing of the past, as those who served in the armed forces dwindle in number. It's a long time since WW2 and National Service, so unless they can generate new and non military membership, the model becomes a bit pointless. 

I think you maybe wrong... with over 2000 branches across the UK, they are well supported. 

43 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Richard is a great Chef, food is always top drawer.

Edit: He was also head chef at Samphire before it closed.

He can be a great chef - when he feels like it. He tends to lose interest though after a couple of years. 

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

No thanks.  I have been there many times but not for the last few years because it’s a shithole and the service went seriously downhill. 

I am sure that Peel Legion Club must have been delighted that you didn’t darken their premises again. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

The Manx Legion Club in Douglas is probably the same, and finds it hard to get members. 

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I am sure that Peel Legion Club must have been delighted that you didn’t darken their premises again. 

Not sure what you base that on?  An online persona that clearly isn't reflective of an actual person?

Anyway, maybe if the place was better, the drinks were better and the service was better they wouldn't be closing.

A paying customer is a paying customer, and you really have to go some to be empty when your prices are among the lowest in an area these days.

Well run places will continue to thrive and dumps that are run badly will continue to close.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The Manx Legion Club in Douglas is probably the same, and finds it hard to get members. 

I was never a member in peel, never went in with a member, and was never asked if I was a member.  It was just a shit pub

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

I think you maybe wrong... with over 2000 branches across the UK, they are well supported. 

Yes, but many are struggling and some have closed. It was very much a military thing built out of the camaraderie of the wars, and although people are still happy to support the fundraising activities, the social side has long been declining.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Passing Time said:

There are 400 clubs but 2500 branches of the legion.

There are some reasons to believe that British Legion clubs can still be viable. They offer a valuable social space for veterans and their families, and they can play an important role in supporting the local community. In addition, many clubs have adapted to the changing times by offering a wider range of activities and events, such as live music, quiz nights, and family fun days. I think the Douglas club fall into this category but I'm not sure that they have a huge membership these days?

However, there are also some challenges that British Legion clubs face. The number of veterans in the UK is declining, and many younger veterans are less likely to join traditional clubs. Additionally, the rise of online socializing has made it easier for people to connect with others without leaving their homes. Finally, many clubs are struggling financially, due to rising costs and declining membership. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

There are 400 clubs but 2500 branches of the legion.

There are some reasons to believe that British Legion clubs can still be viable. They offer a valuable social space for veterans and their families, and they can play an important role in supporting the local community. In addition, many clubs have adapted to the changing times by offering a wider range of activities and events, such as live music, quiz nights, and family fun days. I think the Douglas club fall into this category but I'm not sure that they have a huge membership these days?

However, there are also some challenges that British Legion clubs face. The number of veterans in the UK is declining, and many younger veterans are less likely to join traditional clubs. Additionally, the rise of online socializing has made it easier for people to connect with others without leaving their homes. Finally, many clubs are struggling financially, due to rising costs and declining membership. 

not just them the masons ,buffalos  round table , foresters  RBL   ,  all failing  in numbers   the younger generation are simply just not interested  rather keep in touch via facebook friends only people bucking the trend  on the isle of man is motorcycle clubs  , but they dont have a welfare support element for their members  as the others do 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Omobono said:

not just them the masons ,buffalos  round table , foresters  RBL   ,  all failing  in numbers   the younger generation are simply just not interested  rather keep in touch via facebook friends only people bucking the trend  on the isle of man is motorcycle clubs  , but they dont have a welfare support element for their members  as the others do 

If they have some younger folks they need to get out marshalling the TT. Some of the poor old buggers doing that look like they need to lean on each other to stand up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1