Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

"Barbary West Coast" now confirmed as opening in what is currently The Highwayman.

Does this make the rumours of one opening in Ramsey less likely to be true?

No, doing both . Best thing the brewery can to is get rid of their pubs,

should not mean Peel is free of its last brewery pub

8 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

No, doing both . Best thing the brewery can to is get rid of their pubs,

should not mean Peel is free of its last brewery pub

Seems a lot to take on in a short time?

They have always done well though so assume they are geared up for it.

Just now, Manxman1234 said:

They appear to import staff as struggle to get locally now 

Good for them.

They have basically confirmed, or at least very strongly hinted at Ramsey as well.

Good news for the island full stop.

IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Good for them.

They have basically confirmed, or at least very strongly hinted at Ramsey as well.

Good news for the island full stop.

IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

Barbary is well managed restaurant that they already rent from H&B so another 2 make sense.

H&B need to get rid of their pubs and shops and concentrate on TDL which runs well and focus on Brewing and supply to free houses. 
a dinosaur of a company, top heavy and zero customer focus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

Barbary is well managed restaurant that they already rent from H&B so another 2 make sense.

H&B need to get rid of their pubs and shops and concentrate on TDL which runs well and focus on Brewing and supply to free houses. 
a dinosaur of a company, top heavy and zero customer focus. 

They have not focused on brewing since about 2012 and they are looking to downsize the brewery and install a microbrewery so that is not going to happen. There is no money in brewing just the retail side if that is done correctly, which they obviously are not

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

I noticed today that the shop selling trainers on Nelson Street is clearing out. Only opened last year

I know the lad. He only had a 3 month lease for that space. Last time I spoke to him he was looking for somewhere permanent. My understanding is he’s been really successful - great to hear. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steve_Christian said:

I know the lad. He only had a 3 month lease for that space. Last time I spoke to him he was looking for somewhere permanent. My understanding is he’s been really successful - great to hear. 

Good for him.

I see passing time has edited the post so at least it makes a little bit of sense now.

44 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Brilliant, the island needs more independent traders 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

They have not focused on brewing since about 2012 and they are looking to downsize the brewery and install a microbrewery so that is not going to happen. There is no money in brewing just the retail side if that is done correctly, which they obviously are not

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-brewery-company-heron-and-brearley-keeps-on-innovating-659076

Suggests differently?

They continue to produce some excellent cask ale (provided it's looked after well), Odin is probably the closest competitor in my opinion. Although I am enjoying Noa's kegged products. 

15 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-brewery-company-heron-and-brearley-keeps-on-innovating-659076

Suggests differently?

They continue to produce some excellent cask ale (provided it's looked after well), Odin is probably the closest competitor in my opinion. Although I am enjoying Noa's kegged products. 

You are wrong there is no money in brewing it is selling it at retail prices that make the money. By the time the beer is shipped off the Island and back again by tanker you are looking £6000 in transport costs alone it just can't make money

2 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

You are wrong there is no money in brewing it is selling it at retail prices that make the money. By the time the beer is shipped off the Island and back again by tanker you are looking £6000 in transport costs alone it just can't make money

You said they are not focused on brewing - I said the article suggests differently. What's wrong about that?

Whether it's viable or not, that's another story and I've said as much on Wooley's thread. It would need a full canning line here surely, sending it away to be packaged seems madness really.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

12 hours ago, Passing Time said:

I noticed today that the shop selling trainers on Nelson Street is clearing out. Only opened last year

Yeah looked like more of a pop-up to be honest. 

I'm not suprised he's doing well, there must be a fairly decent mark-up on those £1000 Parkas.