Firm closing

finlo

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

You should see the plates at an American 'All you can eat buffet' !!!

I've never been lucky enough to go to one of those restaurants, Kopek.

l love cooking my own food and enjoy a massively varied diet, mostly vegetables and just a small amount of chicken and fish.  I find eating out is disappointing;  however, of course, it depends on your view of suitably acceptable food that you personally enjoy as apposed to another person's view, whose expectations may be different.  I  think you recently covered this a post about a meal you recently purchased.  It certainly gave me food for thought.

On the subject of food.  Why is it necessary to rinse rice for 10 minutes or until clear water before cooking?  Also, is it safe to cook enough rice for two dinners, chill half, and reheat next day.   I know you will all laugh, but it's for my dog. l'm worried that bacteria can build up over 24hrs.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I've never been lucky enough to go to one of those restaurants, Kopek.

l love cooking my own food and enjoy a massively varied diet, mostly vegetables and just a small amount of chicken and fish.  I find eating out is disappointing;  however, of course, it depends on your view of suitably acceptable food that you personally enjoy as apposed to another person's view, whose expectations may be different.  I  think you recently covered this a post about a meal you recently purchased.  It certainly gave me food for thought.

On the subject of food.  Why is it necessary to rinse rice for 10 minutes or until clear water before cooking?  Also, is it safe to cook enough rice for two dinners, chill half, and reheat next day.   I know you will all laugh, but it's for my dog. l'm worried that bacteria can build up over 24hrs.  

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322775

https://www.eatingwell.com/should-you-rinse-your-rice-8385661

Easy to follow, hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Little Shed at The Glen gone.

I never understood how that was meant to make any money.

We have sad news 😢

After 3 lovely years at Dhoon Glen, we have made the decision not to renew our lease. 

It’s been a head & heart dilemma for us as we LOVE the place but we haven’t been immune from the spiralling costs our industry has faced - it’s been heartbreaking to see how badly this has affected hospitality businesses on the island. And, not withstanding DEFA & DOIs efforts, a rent increase along with lease terms which we would find difficult to work with has sealed the decision for us 😢

We’ve enjoyed some amazing events, which we hope to continue in some guise or another at The Shed in 2024 and onwards, so keep an eye out 😄

Our wonderful #littleshedteam will now join us at The Shed and The Gelato Shed. We’d like to thank them for their incredible hard work and for falling in love with Little Shed as much as we did 💛 They’re simply ace! 

And a final huge thanks to all our #littleshedders who’ve supported us over the last 3 years. You rock 💛

Big loves ️ 

Bev, Richard & team x”

Cowley Groves on Victoria Street this morning was totally gutted.  All pictures of houses gone. Desks looked totally cleared. No signs on the windows about moving or anything.

Have they gone?

Edited by NoTail

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

We have sad news 😢

After 3 lovely years at Dhoon Glen, we have made the decision not to renew our lease. 

It’s been a head & heart dilemma for us as we LOVE the place but we haven’t been immune from the spiralling costs our industry has faced - it’s been heartbreaking to see how badly this has affected hospitality businesses on the island. And, not withstanding DEFA & DOIs efforts, a rent increase along with lease terms which we would find difficult to work with has sealed the decision for us 😢

We’ve enjoyed some amazing events, which we hope to continue in some guise or another at The Shed in 2024 and onwards, so keep an eye out 😄

Our wonderful #littleshedteam will now join us at The Shed and The Gelato Shed. We’d like to thank them for their incredible hard work and for falling in love with Little Shed as much as we did 💛 They’re simply ace! 

And a final huge thanks to all our #littleshedders who’ve supported us over the last 3 years. You rock 💛

Big loves ️ 

Bev, Richard & team x”

Thank you, Dave, for your post. The following is a memory of the previous owner. 

The lady who ran it before them made all her own cakes and pastries,often done late at night after closing up for the day.  She sometimes only served a handful of people in a whole day.

Unfortunately, she has recently passed away.

I remember picking her up at the bus stop one night; she was always cheerful and happy. 

A great loss to our community.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

We have sad news 😢

Big loves ️ 

Bev, Richard & team x”

Little Shed was our favourite stopping point for a coffee and snack. Shame they’ve had to close 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

Little Shed was our favourite stopping point for a coffee and snack. Shame they’ve had to close 

But good to think that an estate agent might be closed (it isn’t by the way) and that people might have lost their jobs?

How bizarre

23 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Cowley Groves on Victoria Street this morning was totally gutted.  All pictures of houses gone. Desks looked totally cleared. No signs on the windows about moving or anything.

Have they gone?

Well putting new adverts on Facebook yesterday so assume they’re renovating, David Creane is still about as I’m sure I saw him driving his Bentley a few days ago.

Home Intelligence  advertise their high end audio/ visual services ( sales, repairs etc) on a very snazzy Facebook page saying they have a showroom in Cubbon & Bregazzi premises in Tromode.
The pictures all present a professional looking type of presence there. Except they are no longer based there and haven’t been for a while. Apparently they are also not replying to emails or returning calls. 
It’s difficult, I don’t want to suggest that they are closing/ closed if they are say operating in new premises and have changed their  phone and e-mail contact details but the evidence suggests that they are no longer in operation, unless they are not very good at updating their contact details.

Has anyone any information?

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Rises in Govt rent and amendments to lease terms quoted. Another local small business succumbs to the Island's biggest parasite.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Rises in Govt rent and amendments to lease terms quoted. Another local small business succumbs to the Island's biggest parasite.

Yes, the wording struck me as well:

And, not withstanding DEFA & DOIs efforts, a rent increase along with lease terms which we would find difficult to work with has sealed the decision for us

It sounds rather as if the two immediate Departmental landlords (DoI for the MER, DEFA for the Glen) were being reasonable, but another part of government (Treasury?, AG's Office?) was insisting on imposing some standard terms and conditions (and percentage uplift) that weren't suitable for them.  Of course if the place remains unlet, the government will lose money, but getting your way in inter-departmental battles is more important.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Missing word
  • Like 4