Firm closing

finlo

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, the wording struck me as well:

And, not withstanding DEFA & DOIs efforts, a rent increase along with lease terms which we would find difficult to work with has sealed the decision for us

It sounds rather as if the two immediate Departmental landlords (DoI for the MER, DEFA for the Glen) were being reasonable, but another part of government (Treasury?, AG's Office?) was insisting on imposing some standard terms and conditions (and percentage uplift) that weren't suitable for them.  Of course if the place remains unlet, the government will lose money, but getting your way in inter-departmental battles is more important.

Treasury's push for revenue, all Departments now tasked with it. Of course, pushing private enterprise out of business doesn't equate to actually less revenue to their minds, all they can see is the need for the immediate bottom line in their blinkered vision.

Of such people is the IoM now governed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Rises in Govt rent and amendments to lease terms quoted. Another local small business succumbs to the Island's biggest parasite.

You seem to have omitted the bit about “ spiralling costs “ which the owners have also quoted as being part of the reason they are closing.

Spiralling costs ( including no doubt the costs of raw products) which have impacted all businesses. It’s sad to see this business close and I feel for the owners , but unfortunately it happens. You can’t just open a small business and expect to be guaranteed to be successful.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You seem to have omitted the bit about “ spiralling costs “ which the owners have also quoted as being part of the reason they are closing.

Spiralling costs ( including no doubt the costs of raw products) which have impacted all businesses. It’s sad to see this business close and I feel for the owners , but unfortunately it happens. You can’t just open a small business and expect to be guaranteed to be successful.

The majority of those spiralling costs are government induced.

And will ultimately kill off any remaining business here.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

They would be better placed to deal with the "spiralling costs" if they weren't additionally hobbled by rent rises from the Government.

Do you seriously think that these premises are worth a rise in rent? Do you not think that Govt would be better with a tenant paying slightly less than what some over-pensioned bell-end (who has never worked in the private sector) thinks is the "going rate", rather than the premises lying empty and earning no revenue at all?

Where is the support for "fledgling businesses" from our alleged Department for Enterprise?

Freedom to Flourish my arse. It's nothing more than an expectation that people and businesses will continue to just stump up to fund the parasite. I can't think of a better word for it.

• Like 5

Just now, finlo said:

The majority of those spiralling costs are government induced.

Of course they are.

Nothing at all to do with external factors like increased interest rates, energy costs etc. It’s all Alf’s and his mates fault.
We are completely isolated and protected from what goes on in the rest of the world aren’t we?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Of course they are.

Nothing at all to do with external factors like increased interest rates, energy costs etc. It’s all Alf’s and his mates fault.
We are completely isolated and protected from what goes on in the rest of the world aren’t we?

It has nothing to do with the rest of the world just a result of these greedy grabbing bastard's lining their own pockets!

• Thanks 1

VOR missing the point I think the increasing costs were hard to take but the increase of rent by our stupid and greedy government coupled with lease commitments was the final nail in the coffin.     These tenants have other outlets and increased costs of raw materials and services have not caused the closure of these.    I doubt anyone will pick up the pieces and this will be just another Government fail, my how they are adding up.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

It has nothing to do with the rest of the world just a result of these greedy grabbing bastard's lining their own pockets!

Well there’s no talking to you then if you refuse to acknowledge that the IOM economy is subject to external factors.

Why are these greedy grabbing bastards charging me £1.50 per litre of petrol when I only want to pay £1.00 per litre?

• Confused 1

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Well there’s no talking to you then if you refuse to acknowledge that the IOM economy is subject to external factors.

Why are these greedy grabbing bastards charging me £1.50 per litre of petrol when I only want to pay £1.00 per litre?

There is non so blind as those who can not see.

• Like 1

The Island feels like its becoming such a depressing place to live.

Things closing down all over the place. High costs of utilities. Lack of competition. Credit card/insurnace difficulties. Health service falling apart. A government run by people more worried about whether the Bishop has a vote than interested in sorting out the sh!t show going on around them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3