Firm closing

finlo

37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They would be better placed to deal with the "spiralling costs" if they weren't additionally hobbled by rent rises from the Government.

Do you seriously think that these premises are worth a rise in rent? Do you not think that Govt would be better with a tenant paying slightly less than what some over-pensioned bell-end (who has never worked in the private sector) thinks is the "going rate", rather than the premises lying empty and earning no revenue at all

You know what?

My rates go up every year on my house. Using your argument I could just get out and leave it empty. Or say to the Commissioners let me pay a bit less and you’ll still have some money, rather than nothing coming in.

Of course I have sympathy for local small businesses  that struggle but that do mean you just tear up the rule book.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Treasury's push for revenue, all Departments now tasked with it. Of course, pushing private enterprise out of business doesn't equate to actually less revenue to their minds, all they can see is the need for the immediate bottom line in their blinkered vision.

Of such people is the IoM now governed.

It’s freedom to flourish ………. ….. the Isle of Man where you can. 

I can’t see any entrepreneurial people wanting to take over a glorified shed, either as a gift shop or a cafe/kiosk. Rules is rules. I’m sure that other small businesses will be affected both by bureaucracy and spiralling costs, sadly something has got to give. 

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

My rates go up every year on my house. Using your argument I could just get out and leave it empty. Or say to the Commissioners let me pay a bit less and you’ll still have some money, rather than nothing coming in.

Of course I have sympathy for local small businesses  that struggle but that do mean you just tear up the rule book.

Your points are flawed as usual. If you left your house you would still have to pay rates on it unless you sold it to a new owner, either way the Commissioners take is guaranteed.

Govt's job should be to encourage businesses to thrive in any way it can, to allow the economy to flourish. We actually have a Dept that boasts of this as being its raison d'etre. In the case of small operations that means being judicious if necessary, not crushing them with financial demands.

The fact is that Govt's need for money to fill its own bottomless maw is taking precedence over everything.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

It’s freedom to flourish ………. ….. the Isle of Man where you can. 

I can’t see any entrepreneurial people wanting to take over a glorified shed, either as a gift shop or a cafe/kiosk. Rules is rules. I’m sure that other small businesses will be affected both by bureaucracy and spiralling costs, sadly something has got to give. 

Rent increase Vs loss of vat revenue, staff taxes and supplier related gov income?  Seems short sighted 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IOMG dick waving in action today, boasting how IOM inflation has hit a two year low and now stands at 5.2%. Whilst it may be 5.2%, most bodies on the island will increase their charges to more than the rate of inflation. Some commodities may have decreased such as transport, and most Manx businesses are suffering due to price increases way beyond their control, coupled with increases in charges from IOMG on businesses. I can understand and sympathise as to why businesses are throwing in the towel. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You know what?

How long is the waiting list for the Dhoon hut?

There's no need to tear up the rule book, just apply what it says in there with a modicum of common sense.

28 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

How long is the waiting list for the Dhoon hut?

There's no need to tear up the rule book, just apply what it says in there with a modicum of common sense.

Well the rule book says my car tax is a ridiculous £394 per annum ( sub two litre, diesel saloon car) But that’s what it is. To me common sense says it should be a more reasonable figure but that’s not going to happen is it? It’s not up for negotiation.

And just suppose by negotiation I did manage to reduce my car tax, do you not think others would want the same treatment.

I am really not unsympathetic to the operators of that hut, who have quoted the rent as being just one of the economic/ financial factors in their decision and I wish them well in their other endeavours.

( However for what it’s worth I don’t believe you would ever get the critical mass of customers in that location or achieve the economies of scale necessary to make such a business viable)

But of course people have jumped on this as being bad old nasty Government picking on the little people. 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

The Island feels like its becoming such a depressing place to live.

Things closing down all over the place. High costs of utilities. Lack of competition. Credit card/insurnace difficulties. Health service falling apart. A government run by people more worried about whether the Bishop has a vote than interested in sorting out the sh!t show going on around them.

... and they allow people like H&B to put covenants on properties such as the Liverpool Arms so nobody can at least have a go at opening up a new restaurant.

The place is going to hell in a handcart.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well the rule book says my car tax is a ridiculous £394 per annum ( sub two litre, diesel saloon car) But that’s what it is. To me common sense says it should be a more reasonable figure but that’s not going to happen is it? It’s not up for negotiation.

And just suppose by negotiation I did manage to reduce my car tax, do you not think others would want the same treatment.

I am really not unsympathetic to the operators of that hut, who have quoted the rent as being just one of the economic/ financial factors in their decision and I wish them well in their other endeavours.

( However for what it’s worth I don’t believe you would ever get the critical mass of customers in that location or achieve the economies of scale necessary to make such a business viable)

But of course people have jumped on this as being bad old nasty Government picking on the little people. 

Have to agree.  I can’t see it as a viable venture even if government paid them £500 a month to run it.

My guess is that any increase in rent is a tiny factor in any decision, and probably actually makes no difference but makes a better story than “shed closes because it’s in the middle of nowhere and doesn’t have critical mass of customers to ever be viable”.

I am sure people will be along to say they went one Sunny afternoon in August and all ten of the seats were taken.  It takes a lot more than a few afternoons to make a venture work year round.

They have nailed it in Laxey (although I don’t see what the attraction of sitting in the cold is personally) so good luck to them further developing that business.

Edit to add I don’t agree with the car tax bit.  That’s just silly 😂

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well they closed the footpaths in Dhoon Glen in February last year for an 'indeterminate period' due to rotten trees etc (basically no maintenance - look at Laxey / Glen Roy for further examples).   Apparently it's due to re-open this year sometime! 

So whilst it was at one point a Cafe at the top of a nice glen and would attract visitors after a walk.  Now its a cafe in the middle of nowhere and would attract even fewer visitors. 

https://gef.im/news/politics/part-of-glen-closed-indefinitely-30841/

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/dhoon-glens-lower-footpath-will-be-reopened-in-spring/#:~:text=The Department of Environment had,a diverted trail was created.

But yes surely there can't be anyone else that would be interested in taking it over.  So now it will become vacant and invariably have zero maintenance, just like the glen, with similar results. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Phantom said:

But yes surely there can't be anyone else that would be interested in taking it over.  So now it will become vacant and invariably have zero maintenance, just like the glen, with similar results. 

With zero revenue return for the Govt too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

The Island feels like its becoming such a depressing place to live.

Things closing down all over the place. High costs of utilities. Lack of competition. Credit card/insurnace difficulties. Health service falling apart. A government run by people more worried about whether the Bishop has a vote than interested in sorting out the sh!t show going on around them.

Most of those are an issue everywhere rather than just here - high utility costs, health service falling apart, government dissatisfaction. Ok, the credit card thing. Had no problem with insurance of any kind though.

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

Most of those are an issue everywhere rather than just here - high utility costs, health service falling apart, government dissatisfaction. Ok, the credit card thing. Had no problem with insurance of any kind though.

Saga (I know) wrote to me recently to let me know they won't be renewing my insurance as they are withdrawing services from the IOM any plenty of others are doing the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, woolley said:

Insurance is about to get much harder.

Zurich pulled out of motor recently, and I saw another post today from someone saying that the firm their local broker used were withdrawing from IOM (that might have been Zurich as well tbh) and that people’s renewal quotes were up by a factor of 3 or 4.

Correcrion.  Just checked and it was Ross Gower, not a local agent

Just an FYI post, Ross Gower have moved insurance providers for the Isle of Man to Aviva, the quotes are astronomically high.

May be worth shopping around before your insurance expires to avoid any issues, I've heard Sterling are a decent alternative.

Source: my brother's a learner driver and his insurance went from £650 per year to £2,400 - both with Ross Gower”

Edited by CrazyDave

14 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Insurance is about to get much harder.

Zurich pulled out of motor recently, and I saw another post today from someone saying that the firm their local broker used were withdrawing from IOM (that might have been Zurich as well tbh) and that people’s renewal quotes were up by a factor of 3 or 4.

That's not just the IOM market though. It's a wider decision.

https://www.zurich.co.uk/media-centre/zurich-to-refocus-personal-lines-home-and-motor