Firm closing

finlo

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Are cinemas still a thing now?  You can see most films online within a very short time of release in the comfort of your own home, with every add on you could want.  

Are the current cinemas even washing their face now?  It used to be a night out, but TBH, I would think of it more of a trial than a treat. 

I lost 99.94% on Cineworld shares! 

Was speculating that everyone wouldbe piling back in post covid.

Eedjit!

40 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Are cinemas still a thing now?  You can see most films online within a very short time of release in the comfort of your own home, with every add on you could want.  

Are the current cinemas even washing their face now?  It used to be a night out, but TBH, I would think of it more of a trial than a treat. 

Unless you have spent a lot of money on your audio system you do not get the full effects of a cinema film at home no matter how big your TV is

Edited by alpha-acid
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Unless you have spent a lot of money on your audio system you do not get the full effects of a cinema film at home no matter how big your TV is

Plus the sound of rustling snack wrappers, people getting up in front of you, the odd mobile text message and a dead leg as you're crammed into a shitty seat.

You're right it's ace.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

when you boil the year down to times that are worth opening (seasonal)  the rent works out about £300 a week  you have VAT and electricity on top of that plus a wage , 

it just goes to show how out of touch  the DOI are with the real world  its not the sea terminal they are advertising its a very remote   hut   exposed to the elements , very seasonal  and with the Dhoon Glen footpath closed for at least another year  ,there will be little or no profit   at the terms and rental sought ,

It is quite obvious that you will never generate the footfall and turnover to cover all overheads, pay wages, and turn a profit. The previous operators more or less said that, when not renewing their lease.

The only way that this venue could be made to work would be to get a six/seven month lease, say mid- March to mid-October, and for a retired person/couple, or someone with other means, to run it more as a 'hobby' than a business, where providing a service and meeting people are more important that making money. 

As you say, the halfwits at the DoI, with their grandiose words, are simply totally our of touch with the real world.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Nellie said:

It is quite obvious that you will never generate the footfall and turnover to cover all overheads, pay wages, and turn a profit. The previous operators more or less said that, when not renewing their lease.

The only way that this venue could be made to work would be to get a six/seven month lease, say mid- March to mid-October, and for a retired person/couple, or someone with other means, to run it more as a 'hobby' than a business, where providing a service and meeting people are more important that making money. 

As you say, the halfwits at the DoI, with their grandiose words, are simply totally our of touch with the real world.

The lady who ran it before the shed people was exactly as you have described above. You could get amazingly homemade cake and hot beverages for two for under a tenner.  The rent was fairly low from what I remember, probably not dissimilar to what was quoted above; no improvements had been made to the shack whilst she was there, as far as l recall.

I do wonder why the powers that be have to complicate everything.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Lilly said:

The lady who ran it before the shed people was exactly as you have described above. You could get amazingly homemade cake and hot beverages for two for under a tenner.  The rent was fairly low from what I remember, probably not dissimilar to what was quoted above; no improvements had been made to the shack whilst she was there, as far as l recall.

I do wonder why the powers that be have to complicate everything.

The lady who ran it previously was not people friendly in any way shape or form 

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well Gef reports that the DoI is now advertising it at an estimated rental of £4,800 plus VAT per annum.  Which according to the DoI Facebook provides "an attractive business proposition".  You also need to demonstrate to them:

• Flexibility and Creativity: Propose your ideal opening days, operating hours, and unique events to make Dhoon Kiosk Café. 
• Culinary Showcase: Present your culinary prowess with sample menus featuring delectable dishes at competitive prices, enticing customers with a feast for the senses. 
• Staffing Excellence: Outline your vision for the team, showcasing your commitment to exceptional service and a memorable customer experience. 
• Proven Success: Highlight your catering and events experience to demonstrate your capability in taking Dhoon Kiosk Café to new heights.

Because you don't just need to be able to run a cafe, you need full command of business bullshit.

After I read that I thought the DOI were taking over Masterchef, fuck me the Dhoon cafe is a shed on the way to Laxey, not a michelin starred restaurant!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Gladys said:

I'll be going for Dune 2.  Still a place for them for the big spectacle films.