Firm closing

finlo

Could I offer a constructive observation from having walked past Hops tonight? I would love to go but really don't ever think I would and that is strictly down to the lighting. It's so bright in there and all overhead. Something like this would be perfect to have low lighting, lamps, make it look inviting and relaxing.

I know it might sound silly, but I also know a lot of people like myself, bright, overhead lighting in general does not equal relaxing environment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don’t know how any business or individual can afford to have bright lighting these days, okay the leccy is not going up around 5% yippee but the standing charges are so not all good news.  We as a nation are getting rinsed by our Government at every turn.    I wonder how much of the 42 million is left now I bet there have been a few little, or not so little, dips into it, wait until they start the beach landings of the turbine blades that won’t come cheap.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Little Jeanie said:

Could I offer a constructive observation from having walked past Hops tonight? I would love to go but really don't ever think I would and that is strictly down to the lighting. It's so bright in there and all overhead. Something like this would be perfect to have low lighting, lamps, make it look inviting and relaxing.

I know it might sound silly, but I also know a lot of people like myself, bright, overhead lighting in general does not equal relaxing environment.

That’s fair. 

The lighting is extreme. 

It’s dimmable and I’ve seen them adjusting it. 

As I said, despite idiots on here, I’m not them. 

Every hospitality business has to learn and, in my apparently wrong opinion, they have. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

That’s fair. 

The lighting is extreme. 

It’s dimmable and I’ve seen them adjusting it. 

As I said, despite idiots on here, I’m not them. 

Every hospitality business has to learn and, in my apparently wrong opinion, they have. 

Oh goodness yes, if it is dimmable, I hope they consider turning them way down and get a couple of interesting lamps. Some art on the wall would also go a long way. I think a few aesthetic additions, which could be done on the cheap, would make all the difference and help to attract the clientele I think they are hoping for. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

I don’t know how any business or individual can afford to have bright lighting these days, okay the leccy is not going up around 5% yippee but the standing charges are so not all good news.  We as a nation are getting rinsed by our Government at every turn.    I wonder how much of the 42 million is left now I bet there have been a few little, or not so little, dips into it, wait until they start the beach landings of the turbine blades that won’t come cheap.    

They switched the rise to the standing charge because they realised people couldn't circumvent it by cutting back on usage twats!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, finlo said:

They switched the rise to the standing charge because they realised people couldn't circumvent it by cutting back on usage twats!

The rise to the standing charge is £4.75 a year up to £89.79 a year. 

No idea what your consumption is but the reduction in unit charge will save me £150 a year based on last years usage.

And if the rise announced in December had gone ahead it would have cost me another £170 a year.

Guess what, I prefer an increase of £4.75 over one of £170, especially as I also get a decrease of £150 at the same time.

And wholesale gas is now at its lowest for several years, so more price reductions to come. Hope they now buy forward and hedge for next winter, and that MG can do so too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Little Jeanie said:

Good point.  It sort of seems to be going for a tongue in cheek private members club vibe.

Dimmed lighting, tassley lights, more velvet and some funky artwork would aid this. 

Ideally smoking jackets issued at the door too. 

12 hours ago, Little Jeanie said:

Its a good point. The bright lighting also highlights that customers are sat with their outdoor coats on. That combination puts us off going in. 

48 minutes ago, manxchester said:

Just seen what was Portofinos is up for rent, asking for £6000 per month.. Is this normal, seems very excessive to me but don't have any idea what other places would charge.

Excessive which is why they had to close.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, manxchester said:

Just seen what was Portofinos is up for rent, asking for £6000 per month.. Is this normal, seems very excessive to me but don't have any idea what other places would charge.

The landlords of the shed that used to be the fabulous "old" Noa (before the Market Hall and before the "opposite the Sea Terminal bourgeoisie", back when a cup of tea was £1) want 86k per year for it. It'll be empty for a long time. 

31 minutes ago, Ivy said:

The landlords of the shed that used to be the fabulous "old" Noa (before the Market Hall and before the "opposite the Sea Terminal bourgeoisie", back when a cup of tea was £1) want 86k per year for it. It'll be empty for a long time. 

"Fabulous old Noa"?