Firm closing

finlo

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Judging by the bikes in the photo, very late 80s to mid-90s.

Prom lights looked nice then too...

Shhh, you'll hurt the Corpy's feelings.

I can't believe how wide the road used to be. Some improvements eh?

• Like 2

No cohegent reason has been given as to why the horse trams do not continue along to the Sea Terminal. I will offer a reason - A Fuck Up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HeyJingo said:

Exactly.  It took too long but it’s much, much better now than it was then.

People on the island never seem happy with change or progress, they just need something to moan about.

It took ages and as you say some things are much better.

The road surface is much smoother. Apart from that I see nothing to be proud of in this project The trams go nowhere.   The lighting is terrible. The junctions and. crossings  are dangerous.the "cultural area" is a barren soulless grey waste.

The whole project looks as if was based on 50 shades of grey .

The only redeeming features seems to be the new bar and  cafe area. Who have brought some life to the area.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

No cohegent reason has been given as to why the horse trams do not continue along to the Sea Terminal. I will offer a reason - A Fuck Up. 

There's no money and people don’t want more disruption for them, well a few heritage bods do

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

There's no money and people don’t want more disruption for them, well a few heritage bods do

Fully agree. But the horse trams should have been sorted at the design stage, or at least before the work started. And that bit where the tramlines cross over the road is another fuck Up, there can be no other word.

There were a lot of highly paid people responsible for the construction of Douglas Promenade, paid an awful lot of taxpayers money and their legacy is a Fuck Up.

Isle of Man, Where ...etc

Douglas was as busy as I have ever seen it last night.

Yon Pizza shop on Broadway was closed though. Busiest night of the year and it was closed. True, many will be getting their junk food from Bushy's Village at the Villa, but it still surely makes little business sense to close on the busiest weekend of the year.

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

I think it's blatantly obvious. They had run out of time and money. Something had to give. If they had continued with the original plan for the horse trams they would have probably still been at it now. 

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think it's blatantly obvious. They had run out of time and money. Something had to give. If they had continued with the original plan for the horse trams they would have probably still been at it now. 

other than a proper resurfacing job to deal the the subsidence in places bought about by the iris scheme the prom was suitable as it was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

other than a proper resurfacing job to deal the the subsidence in places bought about by the iris scheme the prom was suitable as it was.

Yes agreed. That's a different point completely though. The question was why did they leave the job incomplete. Not why did they do it all all.

5 minutes ago, HeyJingo said:

I like the lighting, guess you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Dangerous junctions? 😂. What’s the injury rate down there exactly?

Best thing the island could do would be to turn every mini roundabout into an unmarked junction, but again people don’t like change

Maybe we have just been lucky that the expected death rate and forecast carnage from the roundels and crossings has not materialised ..... yet?

35 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Douglas was as busy as I have ever seen it last night.

Yon Pizza shop on Broadway was closed though. Busiest night of the year and it was closed. True, many will be getting their junk food from Bushy's Village at the Villa, but it still surely makes little business sense to close on the busiest weekend of the year.

But they will have experience from the same situation in previous years and so know whether it's worth opening, given the presence of Bushy's (including at least one place serving pizza).  An awful lot of comments on this thread seem to assume that they know better how to run a business than the people who have the data.

On a similar topic there's a lot of complaints about the Prom being 'quiet' ignoring the fact that there's a large and rammed area immediately adjacent to it.

• Like 3