Firm closing

finlo

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

But they will have experience from the same situation in previous years and so know whether it's worth opening, given the presence of Bushy's (including at least one place serving pizza).  An awful lot of comments on this thread seem to assume that they know better how to run a business than the people who have the data.

On a similar topic there's a lot of complaints about the Prom being 'quiet' ignoring the fact that there's a large and rammed area immediately adjacent to it.

Had to visit Ramsey the other day, popped in somewhere in town for lunch, they said it's been dead all practice week.

But Ramsey itself seemed heaving.

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes agreed. That's a different point completely though. The question was why did they leave the job incomplete. Not why did they do it all all.

Doesn't the point made give the answer?  The job was over-specified for what was really required, ran out of money, not completed.

My main complaint is that somehow the sweep of the prom has been lost.  Not sure if it is the lighting, or the dog's dinner where the tramlines move across the road to the walkway side, that break it up, but you don’t get that sweep any more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Doesn't the point made give the answer?  The job was over-specified for what was really required, ran out of money, not completed.

My main complaint is that somehow the sweep of the prom has been lost.  Not sure if it is the lighting, or the dog's dinner where the tramlines move across the road to the walkway side, that break it up, but you don’t get that sweep any more. 

Perhaps. But you are conflating what I said a bit and perhaps you are both reading into my post something that is not there. 

The prom was a disaster from start to finish. 

I think they 'postponed' the full horse trams route as a desperate measure to escape from the hell they were in. I agree, if they had done a less ambitious project from the start they could have had the full horse trams route. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose all threads lead to Douglas Promenade eventually. We'll have to name a law after it.

Anyway, can we please have a big plaque naming all those who were responsible for the 'dogs dinner' (I like that one) engineers and all that, along with how much they were paid. If a job is worth doing it's worth doing it half-arsedly.

28 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The question was why did they leave the job incomplete.

DOI transferred the money in the authorised budget to cover the tram tracks to the sea terminal to cover budget shortfalls/spending over runs on other parts of the scheme.

The new funding for the Villa to Sea Terminal was to be the subject of further budgetary approval in the following financial year. By then we had had covid and the Liverpool Terminal and Ranson and a dozen other overspends, unexpected contingencies, Manx Care, and have run out of cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

DOI transferred the money in the authorised budget to cover the tram tracks to the sea terminal to cover budget shortfalls/spending over runs on other parts of the scheme.

The new funding for the Villa to Sea Terminal was to be the subject of further budgetary approval in the following financial year. By then we had had covid and the Liverpool Terminal and Ranson and a dozen other overspends, unexpected contingencies, Manx Care, and have run out of cash.

Correct. And we all know that the last section of horse tramway was kicked into the long grass and everyone knows it will never be done 

All that money spent on Douglas Promenade, the gateway to our Island. The icing on the cake half done, the cherry on that cake that is the horse trams with a bite took out of it.

The horse trams as they are, are little more than a Mickey take, a two fingers up to their heritage and tradition. It is  half-arsed indeed but as long as we have COVID as an excuse it will be ok, won't it.

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

And we all know that the last section of horse tramway was kicked into the long grass and everyone knows it will never be done 

I have mentioned this here before, much to the disagreement of some parties. Moving the tram tracks into the pedestrian area is a new installation, and therefore surely must comply with modern standards.

I do not think that it would.

A couple of times, after a new minister has been appointed, I have written to the new Minister and the head of DoI asking if a safety analysis has been carried out.

No response.

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Maybe we have just been lucky that the expected death rate and forecast carnage from the roundels and crossings has not materialised ..... yet?

The zebra crossings down there are a fucking disgrace. How on earth did they ever get signed off?

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

I have mentioned this here before, much to the disagreement of some parties. Moving the tram tracks into the pedestrian area is a new installation, and therefore surely must comply with modern standards.

A couple of times, after a new minister has been appointed, I have written to the new Minister and the head of DoI asking if a safety analysis has been carried out.

No response.

Do they have standards for horse drawn trams?

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Can I just add what a shower of hell the roundels are during TT.

I genuinely don't think they are. They keep the traffic flowing quite well. It's a bit hairy I agree but what's better, that or mike long queues for traffic lights. Broadway is better than it's ever been during TT

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I genuinely don't think they are. They keep the traffic flowing quite well. It's a bit hairy I agree but what's better, that or mike long queues for traffic lights. Broadway is better than it's ever been during TT

Yes, I can agree flowing better. But they've been a bit chaotic around the times of the boats arriving.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

No response.

I think the fact that the tramway has been altered to enable it to carry a new light city trams has blown the heritage tram status well and truly out of the water. If they had just ignored the prick with the beard  and replaced like for like we would of saved 12-15 million quid so could of extended it all the way. I would of moved the double tracks over to the seaside next to the sunken wall gardens, then pavement so we could of put in railings to keep people safe. Have crossing corridors onto the promenade. Then have parallel parking and move diagonal parking to other side of road to cut down on the need to cross the highway as most people are parking to go into town. But then not being a highway/H&S safety person or engineer what do I know. Oh and take any pension or rights that bearded prick has of him due to gross incompetence and the many millions he has cost the public purse, let him fight it through tribunals and use public money to fuck him off. Seemed to be a sound idea previously.  

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 2