Firm closing

finlo

3 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

What I meant was if someone was stood at a zebra with a clear intent to cross then you have to give way or yield the road to them.

If someone is standing at a non-crossing also with a clear intent to cross, you don't have an obligation to yield unless they decide to step out?

I wasn't suggesting you have a right to run over anyone who steps out wherever it happens.   

Exactly. So what makes the 'non' crossings an issue?

30 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Having, quite rightly, been pulled up for issue creep myself shouldn’t the postings over the last few pages have been made on “ the DOI is crap” thread rather than  the “Firm closing” thread. ?

Just saying like.

I didn't start it. But yes you are right. Sometimes it's good. This has gone too far off topic. 

On 6/2/2024 at 6:55 PM, Two-lane said:

[I am informed that the diesel was driven down from the MER yards down to Derby Castle. Longworth told them just to remove the barriers at the end of the track. His intention was just to drive the diesel off the end of the tracks, over the tarmac and then run onto the horse tram rails. This did not work out too well, so presumably they had to crane it in. I wish I has been there with my camera. This is from someone who I regard as being a reliable source]

That's exactly what he did. The marks in the tarmac are still there (at least they were about 4 weeks ago) as testament to his brilliant idea. 

Maybe if he'd got a bit more speed up he could have jumped the gap.

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

Sometimes there is a need to '' overcome the will of Tynwald''!

That Tynwald regime was also voted out at the election, so claims about the 'will' of Tynwald are baseless. If they wanted to they could have done another vote. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Because there's no money.

So it's official, the Isle of Man is skint, and ya know what, the fact that the Horse Trams had to be brought to a halt half way through the Promenade is no bigger a display to the world of that.

ETA

Perhaps they should commission a granite stone next to the end of the track, proclaiming "THIS IS WHERE THE MONEY RAN OUT" but actually, I don't think there is any need, the situation is self-proclaiming.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Barlow said:

So it's official, the Isle of Man is skint, and ya know what, the fact that the Horse Trams had to be brought to a halt half way through the Promenade is no bigger a display to the world of that.

ETA

Perhaps they should commission a granite stone next to the end of the track, proclaiming "THIS IS WHERE THE MONEY RAN OUT" but actually, I don't think there is any need, the situation is self-proclaiming.

Fact is most people on the island don’t care what happens to the horse trams so doubt there’s a massive amount of public support to spend money to continue them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Because there's no money.

Did they not come grovelling for more money to continue them to the sea terminal then promptly squandered it on something else?

• Like 1

''Squandered''??? ...but there were all those voids and pot holes and mines and ghosts of internees and weeds growing in the horse shit and egos to satisfy!!!

After driving at 70 up a motorway , our 'gateway' to the Island restricts them to 20 mph!!! With pedx popping out everywhere. 😃

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

ETA

I don't see why people are upset about the fact that, as an island, we are financially hard up. 

We've had 30-odd years of good times, unfortunately we squandered a lot of that money. But they were good times all the same. 

We could get upset and cry about it, or we could be realistic, tighten our belts and learn to live with it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I don't see why people are upset about the fact that, as an island, we are financially hard up. 

We've had 30-odd years of good times, unfortunately we squandered a lot of that money. But they were good times all the same. 

We could get upset and cry about it, or we could be realistic, tighten our belts and learn to live with it.

The only realistic thing is this government  are still squandering it and showing no signs of belt tightening.