Firm closing

finlo

The reality is that the govt is desperate for cash, from wherever they can get it. The result is that they are chasing their tail. Destroying anything which is remotely cash generating for their own benefit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

What I don't understand is that one of the reasons for the demise of the festival given by DEFA was hire fees. Surely the Villa gardens are owned by the government aren't they?

the hire fees may be refering to the marquees rather than the villa gardens

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Ram said:

What makes you think they are inflated?  Any examples?

I saw Jason Manford there some years ago throughout the entirety of his performance he kept repeating the price of a pint in there!

I don’t understand why govt have their dirty little mitts over a food festival anyway? Food producers could easily ask any local authority whether they have a reasonable venue available and set up as required. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, finlo said:

I saw Jason Manford there some years ago throughout the entirety of his performance he kept repeating the price of a pint in there!

What has that got to do with the price of hire?

He probably used that line at every venue. Because everyone knows beer is a bit more expensive at a venue than in a pub.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

He probably used that line at every venue. Because everyone knows beer is a bit more expensive at a venue than in a pub.

You asked for an example of inflated prices and you got one!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

You asked for an example of inflated prices and you got one!

I asked for an example of inflated hire charges, and you failed to give me an example of inflated beer prices 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

I asked for an example of inflated hire charges, and you failed to give me an example of inflated beer prices 🤷‍♂️

Re read the post you were referring to.

1 hour ago, Roger Ram said:

Indeed. He may well also have done the usual gag ( or a variation  of it) that all visiting comedians do about taxi drivers and saying “hello” to the fairies when being driven from the airport into Douglas 

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

I don’t understand why govt have their dirty little mitts over a food festival anyway? Food producers could easily ask any local authority whether they have a reasonable venue available and set up as required. 

I don't disagree, but they had ran it and built it up to an event probably top 10 for attendance, and then just ditched it with little explanation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

I don't disagree, but they had ran it and built it up to an event probably top 10 for attendance, and then just ditched it with little explanation.

It's the timing that is so inexplicable[1].  If the previous one had been such a disaster, they could have quietly dropped it over the Winter.  If it had been cut from the budget, then they would have know February at the latest.  Instead it was axed less than three months before the expected date, presumably causing a lot of inconvenience, and maybe cost, to those who expected to be there.  And rather than producing a planned alternative, there's just a lot of blather about "moving to an 'alternative model' this year".  Which the sort of thing that people say when literally nothing has been planned.

It's difficult to know exactly what could cause such a disaster.  Has the new DEFA CEO cocked up everything in some way?  Was there political pressure for some spiteful reason from Cannan?  This has been running for 15 years, so what has suddenly changed?

[1]  Except of course leaving it till after this month's Tynwald is over and announcing it on a Friday - though at least not at the usual 4pm.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Indeed. He may well also have done the usual gag ( or a variation  of it) that all visiting comedians do about taxi drivers and saying “hello” to the fairies when being driven from the airport into Douglas 

It's the comedians that come over and don't take to the stage you have to look out for.