Firm closing

finlo

8 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

What makes you think they are inflated?  Any examples?

Had a friend who hired a room for a wedding reception and he showed me what they wanted. Then there was the Prosecco price ! He was compromised so had to go ahead but it’s was very expensive. He did want some bottles of champagne in his early planning but not a chance . Ohh from memory it was £32 a bottle for Prosecco back then. A couple of years ago now 

Edited by Numbnuts

An Isle of Man wedding where everyone is in a posh hotel pissed on Prosecco. Beaten only by a Glasgow shindig on Bucky.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Gizo said:

I don’t understand why govt have their dirty little mitts over a food festival anyway? Food producers could easily ask any local authority whether they have a reasonable venue available and set up as required. 

The Planning (Govt) would block it.  I refer you to their recent attempt at St Ninians during TT. 

• Like 4

As mentioned in the Keys topic, there was a question about the cancellation of the Food Festival in today's Keys:

https://tynwald.scorchnetwork.com/?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/2126-1624a.mp3

I'm not really sure that we're much the wiser as to why the decision was made and why it was so late.  All the 'reasons' seem a bit vague.  One bit of interesting information was that last year's attendances (5,000) were well down on the previous year (8,000) and that was reduced from normal.  But the Queen dying doesn't happen that often and bad weather isn't new.   The loss last year was around £84 K for an event that usually turns over £320 K or so, but it's not clear if there will still need to be compensation payments made.  If it was so disastrous why not announce you were 'pausing' the event last year?

As for the alternatives apart from promising a bigger tent at the Shows - which sounds demand-driven rather than compensatory everything else is vague and 'aspirational' and there's no dates.

Barber is clearly very unhappy about how this has been handled and I suspect was the person who finally insisted on people being told now that it wasn't going ahead (the question from Glover seemed designed to let us know that).  There was talk about having looked for alternatives, but surely you would do that before deciding on cancelling?

It's all as clear as mud, which incidentally was another thing that they were trying to blame.  But is this just civil servants too lazy to organise it properly and too cowardly to tell people they had stopped it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

As mentioned in the Keys topic, there was a question about the cancellation of the Food Festival in today's Keys:

https://tynwald.scorchnetwork.com/?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/2126-1624a.mp3

I'm not really sure that we're much the wiser as to why the decision was made and why it was so late.  All the 'reasons' seem a bit vague.  One bit of interesting information was that last year's attendances (5,000) were well down on the previous year (8,000) and that was reduced from normal.  But the Queen dying doesn't happen that often and bad weather isn't new.   The loss last year was around £84 K for an event that usually turns over £320 K or so, but it's not clear if there will still need to be compensation payments made.  If it was so disastrous why not announce you were 'pausing' the event last year?

As for the alternatives apart from promising a bigger tent at the Shows - which sounds demand-driven rather than compensatory everything else is vague and 'aspirational' and there's no dates.

Barber is clearly very unhappy about how this has been handled and I suspect was the person who finally insisted on people being told now that it wasn't going ahead (the question from Glover seemed designed to let us know that).  There was talk about having looked for alternatives, but surely you would do that before deciding on cancelling?

It's all as clear as mud, which incidentally was another thing that they were trying to blame.  But is this just civil servants too lazy to organise it properly and too cowardly to tell people they had stopped it?

quite possibly this...

• Like 1

Peels Bowling Green Cafe closing - 

Another local business has announced it will be closing its doors.

The Bowling Green Café in Peel will shut down on Saturday 20 July.

The owners have announced the move on Facebook, saying they have decided not to renew their lease.

They have thanked customers for their support over the years.

Just now, Banker said:

Bowling green cafe in Peel hs just posted they’re closing 22/97 as they don’t want a new lease, very popular place.

It may be that the landlords wanted more rent? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

It may be that the landlords wanted more rent? 

If it is Peel Comms, you'd wonder why....they have a huge Rates catchment area if you include the Ballawattleworth and associated spread and surely not a huge amount of infrastructure to maintain.

They seem to be doing a good job of driving small concerns away though, it was the yacht club too a couple of weeks back.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2024 at 11:08 AM, The Phantom said:

The Planning (Govt) would block it.  I refer you to their recent attempt at St Ninians during TT. 

I’m not so sure. Why woulD they block if they relocated to another authority? The St ninians fiasco was both misunderstanding with st ninians court residents and protection of existing street vendors at the grandstand psying £11k per pitch. none of that would apply elsewhere.  

but I’m sure you are probably correct as Govt will find something or other to prevent anything remotely interesting happening.  

• Like 1

Isle of Man Government announced on their Facebook page that they won't continue next year. They said that in these tough times, it's just too expensive to carry on, especially with fuel bills and wages increasing so they're closing.

Shame really, they've been going for ages and I always liked them.

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Isle of Man Government announced on their Facebook page that they won't continue next year. They said that in these tough times, it's just too expensive to carry on, especially with fuel bills and wages increasing so they're closing.

Shame really, they've been going for ages and I always liked them.

Will they be missed?

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 5:45 PM, Banker said:

Bowling green cafe in Peel hs just posted they’re closing 22/07 as they don’t want a new lease, very popular place.

Why does a café lease expire in the middle of a summer season ????????