Firm closing

finlo

Went to Vellika’s Kitchen on Peel Road last night.

First visit. Open a few months. Offshoot of the eponymous Vellika’s in Ramsey.

Small development on the outskirts of Douglas, with a KFC and coffee shop.

Modern building, smart, big windows, light and airy. Plenty of parking. Entrance is level but as a wheelchair user the 90° turn in the lobby is badly planned.

Plenty of space between tables, industrial chic open ceiling showing off the Aircon ducting.

Wasn’t over busy, but I had to wait for 5 minutes for someone to wake up and come over to seat me.

Menu is interesting. After a plentiful supply of poppadoms I had  queenies in a coconut panko crumb and the best onion and spinach bhajis I’ve had in a long time. Others had awadi chicken in a smooth warm cream sauce made with curd, ginger and garlic  and a cubed beef with chilli heat.

My main was lamb chuka, steamed rice. Not enough gravy/sauce. My companions had a delicate white fish curry and prawns with okra in a sweet yellow gravy. Everything was well cooked, presented and flavoured.

We shared kallapum rice and coconut pancakes instead of naan. Yum yum.

Not enough room for desert. 

Washed down with 8 cobra, 2 ginger beers and a mango lassi.

Change out of £200 for 5. Definitely somewhere to return to.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, WTF said:

service was a bit slow when we went too but the food was excellent, definitely going back.

Every time I've been to their Ramsey restaurant,  I've had a good meal. Friends fron England have been impressed with the food. 

1 hour ago, hoopsaa said:

Every time I've been to their Ramsey restaurant,  I've had a good meal. Friends fron England have been impressed with the food. 

Same, never had a bad meal there, service can be slow especially when it’s busy but worth the wait. White Tiger cafe on Parliament street is run by the same people (I think), will worth a trip for lunch, absolutely delicious.

7 minutes ago, manxchester said:

Same, never had a bad meal there, service can be slow especially when it’s busy but worth the wait. White Tiger cafe on Parliament street is run by the same people (I think), will worth a trip for lunch, absolutely delicious.

Not sure it is the same folk? I thought it was thai?

But Velikas has been consistently great over the years. Had a takeaway when we were over last month. Couldn't pick up off the boat at Douglas though, had to go up to Ramsey 

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Went to Vellika’s Kitchen on Peel Road last night.

First visit. Open a few months. Offshoot of the eponymous Vellika’s in Ramsey.

Small development on the outskirts of Douglas, with a KFC and coffee shop.

Modern building, smart, big windows, light and airy. Plenty of parking. Entrance is level but as a wheelchair user the 90° turn in the lobby is badly planned.

Plenty of space between tables, industrial chic open ceiling showing off the Aircon ducting.

Wasn’t over busy, but I had to wait for 5 minutes for someone to wake up and come over to seat me.

Menu is interesting. After a plentiful supply of poppadoms I had  queenies in a coconut panko crumb and the best onion and spinach bhajis I’ve had in a long time. Others had awadi chicken in a smooth warm cream sauce made with curd, ginger and garlic  and a cubed beef with chilli heat.

My main was lamb chuka, steamed rice. Not enough gravy/sauce. My companions had a delicate white fish curry and prawns with okra in a sweet yellow gravy. Everything was well cooked, presented and flavoured.

We shared kallapum rice and coconut pancakes instead of naan. Yum yum.

Not enough room for desert. 

Washed down with 8 cobra, 2 ginger beers and a mango lassi.

Change out of £200 for 5. Definitely somewhere to return to.

Key question JW. It was Saturday night. It must have some high overheads. Was it busy? 

Is this a thread about firms closing, or a general shout out for firms not closing or new firms or whatever? (genuine question btw)

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Key question JW. It was Saturday night. It must have some high overheads. Was it busy? 

2 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

John said it wasn’t over busy…….in his post 🤨 

That was a comment about when i arrived, at 19.00. About 20 there then. Including people occupying both disabled spaces and not displaying blue badges.

it was busy all evening. As some diners left others filled their tables. I’d say 60 covers over the evening.

Just now, John Wright said:

That was a comment about when i arrived, at 19.00. About 20 there then. Including people occupying both disabled spaces and not displaying blue badges.

it was busy all evening. As some diners left others filled their tables. I’d say 60 covers over the evening.

That's very encouraging. We visited on a Wednesday evening and, although not full, there was a reasonable number in. 

This is not something we observed at the Chengdu Impression. Only 3 tables including ours. That does not bode well. I thought it was interesting but we won't be rushing back. The Menu ( both printed thing and the offering) needs attention.

The printed thing is very confusing and doesn't make sense. For example. Under Mains we have boiled rice at £2. Then there are dishes as cheap as £9.99 that are advised as main courses that are clearly side dishes. I ordered stir fried vegetables that on the picture was brocoli but arrived as cabbage. It was OK but very strange.

On the actual menu, too much reliance on pork dishes with only 2chicken dishes on the whole menu. Might try the buffet one lunchtime. 

One really good point though, the spare ribs were the best I have ever had. 😋😋