Firm closing

finlo

It's worth pointing out just how big the staffing crisis is.  In the latest unemployment statistics showing the situation at the end of April, there were 109 vacancies in 'Tourist Accommodation' but only 4  people looking for jobs in the field.  The figure for 'Other Catering & Entertainment' was 237 vacancies, but only 17 looking for work.  There are only 257 people on the register and over 30% of that is 'churn' - people coming on or going off the register in that month.  Every sector is looking for people so it's not like people are refusing to work in those fields.

It's not going to get any better either.  These areas of employment rely a lot on people in the their 20s and the latest Census shows there just aren't that many around:

image.thumb.png.4edccb4c5b24d8e280068984ed27af12.png

Some of this is people going away for higher education etc, but it's also due to fewer children being born a couple of decades earlier.

• Like 3

I go out with a group of friends for lunch once a month used to be every two weeks. Before Covid a restaurant we used to go to put prices up about £2 across the board  the food is ok the attraction was easy parking it serves up cafe’ type choices.   We go for the company and good laugh  I think we may be going less if prices increase it isa case of pricing yourself out of business.

One of growth areas seems to be the Sunday carvery where people can pile it high for a fixed price, you see some rather large people struggling to carry their plates with piles of meat, spuds, Yorkies etc!!

The Views, Douglas golf, Falcon port Erin, 1886 are normally very busy throughout Sunday afternoons 

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

One of growth areas seems to be the Sunday carvery where people can pile it high for a fixed price, you see some rather large people struggling to carry their plates with piles of meat, spuds, Yorkies etc!!

The Views, Douglas golf, Falcon port Erin, 1886 are normally very busy throughout Sunday afternoons 

jaks starting handing out smaller plates quite a while back,  you do now get to see some tetris grandmasters though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I go out with a group of friends for lunch once a month used to be every two weeks. Before Covid a restaurant we used to go to put prices up about £2 across the board  the food is ok the attraction was easy parking it serves up cafe’ type choices.   We go for the company and good laugh  I think we may be going less if prices increase it isa case of pricing yourself out of business.

So what do you suggest they do if they don't put their prices up and have done everything to try to lower their costs?

15 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

Whereas you just seem to have an unhealthy appetite for any sort of debate. Rock Food Concepts pricing at 14 North is more expensive than many top flight London restaurants. You can eat in The Ivy in London cheaper. Which says something. 

Nothing unhealthy about an appetite for debate - quite the opposite in fact

33 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

So what do you suggest they do if they don't put their prices up and have done everything to try to lower their costs?

Retail and hospitality is in an absolute mess here after the pandemic and I can see lots of places closing due to a mix of low footfall, problems getting staff, and rocketing operational costs. 

7 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Retail and hospitality is in an absolute mess here after the pandemic and I can see lots of places closing due to a mix of low footfall, problems getting staff, and rocketing operational costs. 

I know that as I work in it.

My point is, what does this particular poster suggest they do, if costs are going up? 

I don't disagree with any of what you say but then we have people lamenting places closing.

Truthfully we probably have too many hospitality businesses doing the same thing, just to a better or worse standard than the last. 

It does make operators very reluctant though to start anything new. Hence no innovation or things a bit different.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Have KFC actually managed to get any staff yet? I heard they were struggling to recruit a few weeks back

KFC is due to open next Monday I believe. They haven’t been able to put enough staff through training I believe. Same for Starbucks. You’d have expected after that sort of investment they’d have wanted to be open for TT Week to maximize turnover but it’s like the Mary Celeste down there.