Firm closing

finlo

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I under that in most restaurants etc, many shut Monday and Tuesday as they are the quietest days of the week. However, TT, MGP and other busier times of the year you would think that businesses would open, be flexible and perhaps create inviting offers to entice customers into their establishments. 

My point exactly. 

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Would it be busy if he racing had gone ahead as planned? 

That's a good question. However, I am thinking that we have firms closing, and people on MGP thread claiming it's the lifeblood of our existence. But our hospitality trade either  doesn't know or doesn't agree cos none of the feckers could be bothered to open either at lunchtime, afternoon or evening. 

Just a bit confused. 

41 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Would it be busy if he racing had gone ahead as planned? 

probably as it is a bank holiday so people who aren't interested in bikes may have had a lunch out ,   the boss and myself went into town today and were very surprised at how many eateries were shut.

java lounge/noodle bar  , the little place on the corner of finch road and christian road ( forgot the name ) , oasis ,  i don't remember looking anywhere else at that point, the terrace chippy was open though.

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's a good question. However, I am thinking that we have firms closing, and people on MGP thread claiming it's the lifeblood of our existence. But our hospitality trade either  doesn't know or doesn't agree cos none of the feckers could be bothered to open either at lunchtime, afternoon or evening. 

Just a bit confused. 

I do have some sympathy and empathy with what the hospitality sector has and is going through. Rising ingredients prices, rising labour costs to boot, coupled with rising electricity and other energy costs aren’t exactly encouraging. However, in some cases, some are clearly not bothered, or are going through the motions. 

A question that I would pose - Barbary Coast has 3 restaurants, Jaks and Frank Matchams - very brave in this economic climate. Perhaps though they are making money and each restaurant is paying its way, otherwise you wouldn’t set up another restaurant?

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Just a bit confused. 

Although nobody on the MGP thread is claiming it's the lifeblood of our existence. You've made that up you whopper.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

A question that I would pose - Barbary Coast has 3 restaurants, Jaks and Frank Matchams - very brave in this economic climate. Perhaps though they are making money and each restaurant is paying its way, otherwise you wouldn’t set up another restaurant?

There has been a rumour going round this weekend that Barbary Coast is closing end of September. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luker said:

There has been a rumour going round this weekend that Barbary Coast is closing end of September. 

At the same time as they are opening another brand new one?

Why would they do that, unless it was to focus on building custom for the two new out of town ones?

Just now, Tinpot said:

At the same time as they are opening another brand new one?

Why would they do that, unless it was to focus on building custom for the two new out of town ones?

Just saying a rumour is circulating that they’re closing it at the end of the summer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luker said:

Just saying a rumour is circulating that they’re closing it at the end of the summer. 

Can’t be true then.

End of summer was three months ago!!

Edited by Tinpot
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Luker said:

Unless the lease is up and the landlord has increased the rent, making viability difficult?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Unless the lease is up and the landlord has increased the rent, making viability difficult?

After an expensive refurb 18 months ago?

No way would they have undertaken that work without a decent term left on the lease at a reasonable rent.

It’s leased from H&B and they have just taken on two more from them.  No way that would be the reason and H&B would do anything to lead to that building being empty again.

• Like 2