Firm closing

finlo

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Last couple of times I’ve been Jaks or Barbary it’s all been a bit meh ……wasn’t impressed tbh .  . That might be why it’s quieter . 

The peel one certainly wasn't quiet this weekend. Absolutely heaving. I had lunch there on Sunday was really nice

• Like 4

1 hour ago, manxchester said:

Quite a bit of work has been going on there the past month (Ramsey branch) including painting the outside this past week so looks like it’s still going ahead 🤞🏻

That's good news then. 

Main Barbary Coast is also pushing ahead with their Christmas bookings so you'd hope this is all just Manx Whispers.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The peel one certainly wasn't quiet this weekend. Absolutely heaving. I had lunch there on Sunday was really nice

Yes. They did great business yesterday. No one else wanted it. Monday and Tuesday are normally Chefs and staff days off (their weekend). But surely now and again when its a bank holiday and there are an unusual number of people in town for obvious reasons the twits in hospitality would have opened at least in the evening.

We bumped into a group of Norwegians. They had been here the whole MGP. They came into town to eat, drink and be merry. In their words "What type of backwards place is this? Everything is shut". And that's coming from Norwegians!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. They did great business yesterday. No one else wanted it. Monday and Tuesday are normally Chefs and staff days off (their weekend). But surely now and again when its a bank holiday and there are an unusual number of people in town for obvious reasons the twits in hospitality would have opened at least in the evening.

We bumped into a group of Norwegians. They had been here the whole MGP. They came into town to eat, drink and be merry. In their words "What type of backwards place is this? Everything is shut". And that's coming from Norwegians!

Paparazzi must have been open last night (Monday), seemed very busy when I walked past just after 9pm.

It always amuses me when people, who will be perfectly realistic and aware of commercial constraints when it comes to their own line of business, get terribly indignant with various hospitality operations when they fail to provide exactly what they want, when they want it, at a price they like.  This is always seen as being a failure on the businesses' part, rather than them making a commercial decision based on their past experience.

So food outlets in central Douglas will tend to rely work-based customers for most of their business, particularly at lunchtimes and after work.  It's not difficult to see why they might be shut on a bank holiday.  For what it's worth I happened to walk along North Quay at around 2pm yesterday and it was very quiet in terms of foot and car traffic.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It always amuses me when people, who will be perfectly realistic and aware of commercial constraints when it comes to their own line of business, get terribly indignant with various hospitality operations when they fail to provide exactly what they want, when they want it, at a price they like.  This is always seen as being a failure on the businesses' part, rather than them making a commercial decision based on their past experience.

So food outlets in central Douglas will tend to rely work-based customers for most of their business, particularly at lunchtimes and after work.  It's not difficult to see why they might be shut on a bank holiday.  For what it's worth I happened to walk along North Quay at around 2pm yesterday and it was very quiet in terms of foot and car traffic.

Fair point. I didn't deny that. I was merely saying that you would think some businesses would exploit the fact that it was Bank Holiday and MGP and not just another Monday. Is it quiet because everything is shut or everything is shut because it's quiet? 

The Jaks group saw it my way and they are successful ( if not my thing) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Fair point. I didn't deny that. I was merely saying that you would think some businesses would exploit the fact that it was Bank Holiday and MGP and not just another Monday. Is it quiet because everything is shut or everything is shut because it's quiet? 

But the fact that they're not your thing hints that they are operating in a different market (or rather mix of markets) and that may do better on bank holidays.  It maybe relies less on casual business such as MGP visitors might provide - especially given how irregular their times to get a meal will have been over the last week or so.

Additional openings like this aren't cost free, both in terms of money (paying staff, buying in perishables) and personal time in operating and organising.  They will also be disruptive to staff's personal time who will be losing what little free time they have and may be incurring extra inconvenience themselves (eg childcare to be organised).  And there's a big lack of hospitality staff at the moment, the latest unemployment figures show 121 vacancies under "Other Catering & Entertainment", so you don't want to lose people.

• Like 1

Barbary Coast North, was going to be open before now, but the new Leaseholder has found there are a lot more issues with the building that they thought there would be when they took the property on, so work is taking longer.

On 8/25/2024 at 8:04 AM, Casta said:

I noticed that Bordello is now an Irish Bar but it was closed. That's a new one on me and looking through the windows I couldn't tell if it was in the process of being opened or if it had opened and there was a helluva opening night and everyone has still got a severe hangover. Can anyone enlighten?

It’s in the process of opening. I mentioned it before. Irish themed, with an Irish owner. 

It’s the guy that’s currently running the old Seven Kingdoms. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Is your username ironic? All you seem to do is whinge about hospitality businesses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It’s in the process of opening. I mentioned it before. Irish themed, with an Irish owner. 

It’s the guy that’s currently running the old Seven Kingdoms. 

It looks a bit half arsed, are you perhaps involved again? 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Is your username ironic? All you seem to do is whinge about lack of hospitality businesses that cant be bothered to open. 

Corrected

Where do I whinge about ones that I can actually go to because they are actually open?

I think I am quite constructive in my criticism😇

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Corrected

Where do I whinge about ones that I can actually go to because they are actually open?

I think I am quite constructive in my criticism😇

There is a van parked up on your street that sells burgers if you call the number on the side

Its been parked there for months waiting for your call.

• Confused 2