Firm closing

finlo

But rates are up, Road tax is up, electricity is up, bus fares up, social accommodation rents are up etc all controlled by the government in fact everything they control is up and it is all basic stuff that is needed .    Luxuries we can do without but when essentials are increased it is all downhill.    The Government are rinsing the public for every penny they can because they cannot balance the books because of wastage, over staffing, bad ideas that cost fortunes.   The poster who said staff will be reduced or small businesses will shut their doors is spot on .   No one has a magic money tree the money will have to be found somewhere.

• Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

Erm.

Not sure where to start with that to be honest.

Let me leave this here from Tescos latest preliminary results and see if you can work it out

For the 2024/25 financial year, we expect retail adjusted operating profit of at least £2.8bn”

And an operating profit margin of 4.1%.

But that's 4% of a massive turnover ! Despite the super market competition in England. Ignoring a 4% wage increase is much more to a person on 50k a year than a person on 20k a year and yet inflation should have increased their bills reasonably evenly~???

Yes, Fred, inflation, even Govt costs, with ahve increased for everyone but a Govt curb on spending would provide more savings for the 50k person than the low paid people? How to re-distribute the wealth??? Ah! whether it is nobler in the mind............

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Our taxes are lower than usual compared with other Countries around us? Inflation is beyond our control. Govt spending, outlandish though it may be, has not led to massive tax increases for many years.

In other words, min wage increases are simply trying to  keep pace with inflation plus the more recent 'living wage' which any concerned Country should try to adhere to provide to it's citizens.

With regard to Govts having to subsidise low wages........... I rather fancy that the majority of tax payers would  begrudge having to subsidise low earnings but would equally begrudge paying a highr price to allow the wage increases to be effected, wage increases many of them would have had their selves!!!

Inflation and cost increases exist, if we don't try to cover these disparities we will continue to be the two tier society that we are trying to get away from???

Or are we???

we may have lower taxes  but the cost of getting on and off the island is crippling  then add thay to virtually everything else  you buy food ,clothing, fuel , electricity ,gas , rentals, property   building materials   all much higher then mainland UK

if we get rid of half the hangers on     working for government   we perhaps wouldn't need to be paying any tax  all  together ,   all   were doing is feeding a massive public sector regime with a huge pension deficit  , which will never end because Turkeys don't vote for Christmas and government now employs  almost  1 in 4  of the working population 

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Omobono said:

e may have lower taxes  but the cost of getting on and off the island is crippling  then add thay to virtually everything else  you buy

I think that I cover that in the 'uncontrollable' inflation that we have to put up with, that is beyond our control?

12 minutes ago, Omobono said:

f we get rid of half the hangers on     working for government   we perhaps wouldn't need to be paying any tax  all  together

....but where would all these hangers on go to? Perhaps they would take your job and leave you a Govt benefit hanger on? Perhaps they would still be hangers on in taking benefits?

Full employment is always better than a long 'Dole queue' ? Which is not without it's cost to the tax payer?

59 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

But rates are up, Road tax is up, electricity is up, bus fares up, social accommodation rents are up etc all controlled by the government in fact everything they control is up and it is all basic stuff that is needed .    Luxuries we can do without but when essentials are increased it is all downhill.    The Government are rinsing the public for every penny they can because they cannot balance the books because of wastage, over staffing, bad ideas that cost fortunes.   The poster who said staff will be reduced or small businesses will shut their doors is spot on .   No one has a magic money tree the money will have to be found somewhere.

Electricity went down.

9 hours ago, jackwhite said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. 

You seem to have little understanding of the climate for hospitality businesses. 

I am no expert on the hospitality trade. I am an end user of it, an observer if you like.

I genuinely defer to your better experience.

Answer me this though. Why is a publican on Manx radio bemoaning the reduced schedule and it's effect on trade, when the same publicans pub was shut all day on the biggest day of the MGP? It's a reasonable question?

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I am no expert on the hospitality trade. I am an end user of it, an observer if you like.

Answer me this though. Why is a publican on Manx radio bemoaning the reduced schedule and it's effect on trade, when the same publicans pub was shut all day on the biggest day of the MGP? It's a reasonable question?

Are you basing the fact that they were shut purely on the published opening times on Google and social media?

Are you 100 percent sure they were closed on the race day bank holiday?

Edited by Tinpot

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Sigh

Incidentally the Raven's Facebook dated 19 August says:

We are currently open 7 days. Breakfast 830am while 10am. Lunches and dinners 12pm while 10pm Bar open from Sunday to Thursday 12 -1130pm Friday and Saturday 12 while 12am.

So presumably they were open on Monday

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Sigh

Incidentally the Raven's Facebook dated 19 August says:

We are currently open 7 days. Breakfast 830am while 10am. Lunches and dinners 12pm while 10pm Bar open from Sunday to Thursday 12 -1130pm Friday and Saturday 12 while 12am.

So presumably they were open on Monday

Yes they were.  I was intrigued to know what made him think otherwise.

13 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

Yes they were.  I was intrigued to know what made him think otherwise.

Sigh! Their website and Google. If the Raven was open then I stand corrected. Perhaps it would help their trade if they clarified that.

What about all the other establishments that were closed including just about all the other H&B pubs. 

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Sigh! Their website and Google. If the Raven was open then I stand corrected. Perhaps it would help their trade if they clarified that.

What about all the other establishments that were closed including just about all the other H&B pubs. 

What about them? I agree with you that places should be open when their is possibly trade available even if they are normally closed on a particular day.

I would just make sure something was correct before I posted it on here.  The Raven extended hours right over MGP, it took seconds to check that.

Edited by Tinpot

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

But that's 4% of a massive turnover !

But its a PLC and the market capitalisation is also massive at nearly £25bn, so £2.8bn is not excessive on that amount of money employed. It's not like a huge profit is being gouged from a small outlay and shared out in a darkened room between a few fat cats. Tesco shareholders are many and various, and if you have a pension pot invested across a range of funds, it's highly likely that you are indirectly a Tesco investor, and one of the beneficiaries.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kind-shareholders-hold-majority-tesco-093437037.html

Dividend yield is 3.3%. It's a better return on NS&I Income Bonds than on Tesco dividends at the moment. The share price itself is up this year but still only about half what it was before the crash 15 years ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tinpot said:

What about them? I agree with you that places should be open when their is possibly trade available even if they are normally closed on a particular day.

I would just make sure something was correct before I posted it on here.  The Raven extended hours right over MGP, it took seconds to check that.

You mean like they did?

I am sure I am not alone in the world when I use Google to check if a place is open and also not alone in the world when I also looked at their own web page. Further more I asked the question ( if you check back)

If establishments can't even take fundamental steps to make sure information is correct are they not doomed to fail.